Dish HD vs Disney (DISH sort of won...)

I always thought that ABC stations were also negotiated at the same time as the ESPN stations were. I remember a dispute a few years ago where they threatened to remove the ABC owned stations from DISH unless they got an increase in ESPN carriage fees.

T
Unfortunately, I think the basic espn contract runs for quite a while (like five more years).

By the way, espn hd and espn 2 hd are covered by the base agreement, which includes sd for all other Disney channels.

So any other HD channels from the Disney group won't be happening on Dish for the next 5 years or when the 65 mil is payed. :eek:

So any other HD channels from the Disney group won't be happening on Dish for the next 5 years or when the 65 mil is payed. :eek:

What was the cost for Disney on Cband? $9.99 a month or something? They thought they were HBO. Screw them! I'm glad Charlie won't pay them extra for HD. The B@stards also denied us the analog ESPN feeds for yrs.

What was the cost for Disney on Cband? $9.99 a month or something? They thought they were HBO. Screw them! I'm glad Charlie won't pay them extra for HD. The B@stards also denied us the analog ESPN feeds for yrs.

Disney started out as a premium service and charged like HBO. Then went to a cable basic service and still charged the same. Is Disney greedy? YES but honestly its a very popular service and they know people want it, especially for the kids. If they pulled it and Nick all together there would be quite a bit of subscribers upset. Charlie should not have been using it for free though that is outright stealing. This is why the distro feeds are now encrypted since back in the day cable companies took the feeds, sold subscribers subs collected and never payed the providers. Is Disney HD needed? probably not. Although Dish is the only service that don't offer it. The thing is Charlie is messing with the company that owns ESPN. If access was denied to that Dish would sink like a rocket just like C band did. They could deny access until the bill is payed with late fees if they wanted and Charlie would be forced to pay or do without. That would be curtains for Dish Network as a big player.

By the way, espn hd and espn 2 hd are covered by the base agreement, which includes sd for all other Disney channels.
There are four carriage contracts, that we know of:

1) ESPN, which is for six SD and two HD ESPN channels
2) Disney, which is for three SD properties (Disney, Disney XD, Soapnet)
3) ABC Family, by itself as the channels is owned 50/50 between Disney and Saban Entertainment
4) ABC owned-and-operateds, which may be on the same expiration schedule as ESPN.

The $65 million is not back pay for channels; the $65 million is for late payment of the first three carriage contracts listed. It is assumed Disney has not been paid for the 25 months of carriage of the four disputed HD channels.

There are four carriage contracts, that we know of:

1) ESPN, which is for six SD and two HD ESPN channels
2) Disney, which is for three SD properties (Disney, Disney XD, Soapnet)
3) ABC Family, by itself as the channels is owned 50/50 between Disney and Saban Entertainment
4) ABC owned-and-operateds, which may be on the same expiration schedule as ESPN.

The $65 million is not back pay for channels; the $65 million is for late payment of the first three carriage contracts listed. It is assumed Disney has not been paid for the 25 months of carriage of the four disputed HD channels.

Interesting reading... So Dish has not payed for anything in 25 months to Disney for the above. Man Charlie has to be drinking his own kool aid! :eek:

Disney, ESPN and all of the other Disney channels have not been available for subscription on C Band for a long time. When they were available the cost was ridiculously high. The few subscription channels that are left on C Band cost so much it's really kind of funny that anybody buys them at all any more. The few remaining 4DTV channels end on 12/31 and the only sub channels left will be grossly over-priced packages with hardly any channels that will only work if you turn your 4DTV into a 410. And no HD or DVR at all. C Band is a great hobby but not a good alternative for family entertainment.

Disney, ESPN and all of the other Disney channels have not been available for subscription on C Band for a long time. When they were available the cost was ridiculously high. The few subscription channels that are left on C Band cost so much it's really kind of funny that anybody buys them at all any more. The few remaining 4DTV channels end on 12/31 and the only sub channels left will be grossly over-priced packages with hardly any channels that will only work if you turn your 4DTV into a 410. And no HD or DVR at all. C Band is a great hobby but not a good alternative for family entertainment.

C band's W5 packages are priced in line with pizza basic packages and offer channels that most have to pick up a higher tier packages on Dish or Direct to get. They are lacking basic fare but have some good points such as no contracts or rain fade. There are also smaller packages, Pick your own channels and movie channels ala-carte for less than package prices.

NPS is shutting down their access to the Motorola ACC early on 12/26. SRL will offer the 4096 EMM till 1/4. At that time SRL will convert your 4DTV if you wish to use the Comcast HITS SAC, EMM 4160. It still has not been determined that Comcast will offer the generic or other satellite tiles or maps. All I can say without telling too much inside info is as I write this people in high places are working on getting this plus basic channels to possibly be added for the W5 fair at some point. You have to give Skyvision and SRL credit. They are trying to right the wrong that NPS did this year the best they can. Comcast is no dummy and has the $$$ and resources to make things happen unlike NPS. NPS will be closing their doors on 12/31 and sticking it to anyone with remaining c band credit. Maybe Sobongo will allow free toaster coupons if you don't want to drink dishes kool aid to use your credit up.

We've been in the business since 1985 and know what's up there and what's available. Anybody who does the comparisons will plainly see that C Band is no longer an option for family entertainment, like I said before. Consumer C Band has been replaced with Dish and DirecTV. That's the plain fact.

And sorry, but most former C Band users don't agree with your spin on the whole thing. Consumer C Band is an old system that's been obsoleted by new technologies and wasn't somehow scuttled by NPS and Charlie. It's still a great hobby but that's about it. No need to reply because that's all I've got to say on the matter, especially here in this Dish Network Forum. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

We've been in the business since 1985 and know what's up there and what's available. Anybody who does the comparisons will plainly see that C Band is no longer an option for family entertainment, like I said before. Consumer C Band has been replaced with Dish and DirecTV. That's the plain fact.

And sorry, but most former C Band users don't agree with your spin on the whole thing. Consumer C Band is an old system that's been obsoleted by new technologies and wasn't somehow scuttled by NPS and Charlie. It's still a great hobby but that's about it. No need to reply because that's all I've got to say on the matter, especially here in this Dish Network Forum. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

I agree with you and get rather tired of tvropro coming here with an agenda. I was a big C-band person but left when I moved away from the area for a long time. I moved back to this area a few yr ago but had to move again. It now looks like I will be in this area for a while. I have an E* system that uses 3 larger than normal dishes to pick up the sats. I have very, very, little problem w/ rain fade. I'm now going to get an old C-band dish for some FTA mostly PBS HD & music channels that the HD absolute doesn't have.

I agree with you and get rather tired of tvropro coming here with an agenda. I was a big C-band person but left when I moved away from the area for a long time. I moved back to this area a few yr ago but had to move again. It now looks like I will be in this area for a while. I have an E* system that uses 3 larger than normal dishes to pick up the sats. I have very, very, little problem w/ rain fade. I'm now going to get an old C-band dish for some FTA mostly PBS HD & music channels that the HD absolute doesn't have.

I've still got a beautiful 12ft Paraclipse Horizon to Horizon and a really nice 10ft Perfect 10, both with C and Ku and enjoy a lot of misc channels and feed hunting with them. It's a great hobby and there's probably more up there now than there ever has been, just not the regular entertainment channels. For the family entertainment we primarily watch Dish Network HD and DVR.

I've still got a beautiful 12ft Paraclipse Horizon to Horizon and a really nice 10ft Perfect 10, both with C and Ku and enjoy a lot of misc channels and feed hunting with them. It's a great hobby and there's probably more up there now than there ever has been, just not the regular entertainment channels. For the family entertainment we primarily watch Dish Network HD and DVR.

I don't have "family viewing" but that is pretty much is the way I am as well. I have an Coolsat 8100HD that I'm going to at a later date hook up to a C/Ku that I will find and get from someone that wants to get rid of it. I will use some sort of positioner to be able to move the that dish. Right now I have a .9m that I'm going to just hook up to the Coolsat for PBS to start with. Then add the larger dish on positioner later. I could go into detail but see no need to in this forum. One of the main reasons I'm going to do this on PBS is to see if I can get a better audio than what is supplied OTA or sat. Both of the stations that I get have a ticking noise in the audio sometimes. I want to see if the Coolsat will have better audio than the Tanberg units that the the PBS stations use. But the way this Coolsat 8100HD has a USB output to hook up an HDD to make it a PVR.

I have no agenda here. People need to know there is still in option in C band if they want to use it for subscription. NPS put out so much bad press this year its pathetic. I think C band and pizza can co-exist. I have both, not Dish but DirecTV for pizza. I don't agree with Charlie Ergans hidden agenda and policies. The games that Charlie plays with his subscribers and programmers will backfire on him as it has this past few months, just look at his latest subscriber numbers and then look at DirecTV.

I too enjoy C band as a hobby with DVB etc, thats why I didn't abandon it and keep my system running great. Subscription options are still there for me with the 4DTV too.

Have a good Turkey day all :)

I have no agenda here. People need to know there is still in option in C band if they want to use it for subscription. NPS put out so much bad press this year its pathetic. I think C band and pizza can co-exist. I have both, not Dish but DirecTV for pizza. I don't agree with Charlie Ergans hidden agenda and policies. The games that Charlie plays with his subscribers and programmers will backfire on him as it has this past few months, just look at his latest subscriber numbers and then look at DirecTV.

I too enjoy C band as a hobby with DVB etc, thats why I didn't abandon it and keep my system running great. Subscription options are still there for me with the 4DTV too.

Have a good Turkey day all :)

So you don't have Dish Network but you're continually in this Dish Network Forum bashing Dish Network. That's an agenda. And the NPS comments, that's just your 'opinion'. Most reasonable people see the situation as Motorola shutting down an obsolete system and NPS making a business transition. Subscription C Band has been done for a long time, the only hangers on seem to be those who don't want to spend the money for a real TV package or those who can't get by the credit checks, and I'm sure SRL will continue to accept money from these poor folks for as long as they possibly can. For example when they sell TVLand for $5.39 a month like they do with no overhead other than a phone, a body to answer it and an authorization computer I'm sure their profit margin is quite high. There's no CNN or FOXNEWS, no ESPN, no Disney or ABC Family, in fact it would be easier to list the few subscription channels that are still available than it would be to list those that are gone.

Those are the facts, not just an 'opinion' based on some kind of Charlie hatred. Business is business and 4DTV consumer subscription programming is old business that should be left to die in peace.

I have no agenda here...

You know, when you start a post with that, all you are really saying is that you really do, but are appeasing your conscience to make yourself feel better. This time you just left out the "but," afterward

What are the chances that they could move ESPNNews HD to the sports pack and then move the Disney channels and ABC Family HD to the Platinum pack? They could also bring ESPNU HD to the sports pack as well. Then Dish will go up on the sports pack price and Platinum HD price. Let the customers decide if they want it or not.

Disney wants to be paid for all subs which is why their channels are in the lower package and not the higher packages in the first place. The issue is whether a provider should be paid twice for content differing only in resolution. E* says forget about it while Disney wants to be paid twice.

So you don't have Dish Network but you're continually in this Dish Network Forum bashing Dish Network. That's an agenda. And the NPS comments, that's just your 'opinion'. Most reasonable people see the situation as Motorola shutting down an obsolete system and NPS making a business transition. Subscription C Band has been done for a long time, the only hangers on seem to be those who don't want to spend the money for a real TV package or those who can't get by the credit checks, and I'm sure SRL will continue to accept money from these poor folks for as long as they possibly can. For example when they sell TVLand for $5.39 a month like they do with no overhead other than a phone, a body to answer it and an authorization computer I'm sure their profit margin is quite high. There's no CNN or FOXNEWS, no ESPN, no Disney or ABC Family, in fact it would be easier to list the few subscription channels that are still available than it would be to list those that are gone.

Those are the facts, not just an 'opinion' based on some kind of Charlie hatred. Business is business and 4DTV consumer subscription programming is old business that should be left to die in peace.

What about a person who wants a few channels that C band offers and don't want to pay a $65 a month package to get them? Whats your take on that? I have a big package with Direct and 90% of it is garbage. Although it's needed to get the channels I want. The only reason you stick up for Charlie so much is that he feeds your family since you sell Dish Network.(we know your story from others on the net) In your eyes he can do no wrong. There are people out there that feel different than you and don't have Charlie putting food on the table for them. The same with Mike Moutford, Charlie is getting Mike his new BMW and funding Sobongo, so in Mikes eyes he can do no wrong. You have a right to your opinion, so do I and the proud C banders that are keeping it going. As far as I'm concerned my part of this conversation is over with you since all your looking for is an audience to promote your lame ideology hiding behind you facts theory.

So you don't have Dish Network but you're continually in this Dish Network Forum bashing Dish Network. That's an agenda. .

No its not, Where does it say in the forum rules you have to be a dish network sub in order to comment on the programming, services, and how the company operates. Directv coustomers have just as much of a stake in dish as dish coustomers have a steak in what directv does also. I hate this notion that some of the members here think you have to be a sub in order to comment and if your not you instantly have a "hidden agenda" It sounds a bit outlandish, and allong the lines of the conspercy therorists who claim the moon shots were shot in a studio!

No its not, Where does it say in the forum rules you have to be a dish network sub in order to comment on the programming, services, and how the company operates. Directv coustomers have just as much of a stake in dish as dish coustomers have a steak in what directv does also. I hate this notion that some of the members here think you have to be a sub in order to comment and if your not you instantly have a "hidden agenda" It sounds a bit outlandish, and allong the lines of the conspercy therorists who claim the moon shots were shot in a studio!

If you're on a vendetta because you think Charlie Ergen is some kind of devil or something, and/or your sole purpose is to annoy and agitate and spread misinformation in a place meant for the discussion of Dish Network then that is definitely an agenda.

What about a person who wants a few channels that C band offers and don't want to pay a $65 a month package to get them? Whats your take on that? I have a big package with Direct and 90% of it is garbage. Although it's needed to get the channels I want. The only reason you stick up for Charlie so much is that he feeds your family since you sell Dish Network.(we know your story from others on the net) In your eyes he can do no wrong. There are people out there that feel different than you and don't have Charlie putting food on the table for them. The same with Mike Moutford, Charlie is getting Mike his new BMW and funding Sobongo, so in Mikes eyes he can do no wrong. You have a right to your opinion, so do I and the proud C banders that are keeping it going. As far as I'm concerned my part of this conversation is over with you since all your looking for is an audience to promote your lame ideology hiding behind you facts theory.

My take on that is that anybody who is paying the ridiculous prices that are currently charged for the limited channels now available on C Band has other issues. And what you consider 'garbage' is probably somebody else's favorite channel. Like I said, your 'opinion'.

As for your other comments, even though you probably know way less than you think you know 'from others on the net', we put in nearly as many DirecTV systems as we do Dish, and when C Band was a viable option that's what fed my family. Too bad that some people have to make it into some kind of crusade to try and convince themselves and others that an old technology isn't dying because it's old but it's really dying because of some grand conspiracy that good ole Charlie cooked up to get so rich and rip off the poor old folk. Yea right.

It's really just called 'business' and 'progress'.

Good Bye.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)