Dish Headlines Channel

tornado

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 13, 2004
Tulsa
I watch news more than anything else. The " Dish Headlines" interactive mosaic channel is a positive development for me because I can see displayed other news channels that I don't really want to watch while I am watching the news channel that I want to watch. At least I will get to see the channels that I don't want to watch and be informed. Also, you can move your eyes to a channel without a commercial on it because you have multiple channels displayed at once if you get tired of the commercials like me. Maybe this is being done due to the election year? "Dish Headlines" channel is better than what Dish has in the way of a single news channel to a news watcher like myself. I am glad Dish added the "Dish Headlines" interactive mosaic channel even if it may be temporary. To me it is one of the best things available on Dish right now.

How do you access this?
It is listed in the guide on channels 151 and 207. It is also available through the Apps Menu. This is the (presumably temporary) replacement for the old College Sports Mosaic channel (151) with an additional channel number on 207 to fit with the current News theme.

This Dish Headlines channel is a hold-over from when all of the major national news channels were in free preview recently. With my cheap Dish package, this channel was a lot more useful during the free preview than it is now.

Customers with ViP receivers have long had access (at least part of the day, usually in the morning hours) to a six-channel news mosaic on Dish Home channel 100. The Hopper version of channel 100 also used to do something similar for part of the day, but now that mosaic has been repurposed (permanently?) for free preview channels only.

Dish did have free previews of the news channels (to feature on the Dish Home mosaic) during election years in the past. That was usually only around the time of the conventions, and when actual election results were being reported live, though. It has been quite a long time since they have done that. (They may still use a mosaic for the news channels during those events, but that is no longer accompanied by a free preview of those channels.)

Reactions: TheKrell
This is interesting. I just tried this channel on a deactivated Wally. Audio for the channels in the mosaic works, while the video is completely obscured by "Not Subscribed" blocks as expected. (The highlighted channel says "Press Select to Upgrade.") However, if I wait long enough, I can continue to listen to the audio from one channel while seeing a portion of the video from each of the four channels, obscured by an "Unsubscribed" pop-up 013 in the center of the screen. After several minutes of this, the app then times out, kicking me back to Live TV on the channel I last viewed before launching the app. So, I do at least have partial functionality, even without subscribing. :)

Actually, the pop-up that let me view the video seemed to be just a one-time fluke. I have tried to duplicate it again, but no luck. Audio continues to work, though.

Reactions: HipKat

Actually, the pop-up that let me view the video seemed to be just a one-time fluke. I have tried to duplicate it again, but no luck. Audio continues to work, though.
Okay, I figured it out. When I first launch the app, I get an "Unsubscribed" 014 pop-up in the middle of the screen. I can press the Back button on the remote to remove that pop-up, and get a choice of which audio to listen to by highlighting the channel. If I do that, the app stays on screen indefinitely, but with no ability to watch the video.

However, if I simply let the 014 time-out, then it changes to the 013 with a portion of the video showing, as I described above. This means that I do not get a choice of which audio to listen to, and causes the entire app to time-out. At least it does give me temporary access to the video, though.

When I select the channel for "Dish Headlines" on my 4K Joey I am still able to view "Dish Multi-Channel View" which is non news programming. I especially appreciate "Dish Multi-Channel View" on the 4K Joey because 4K Joey lacks picture in a picture capability. I'm not sure how "Dish Multi-Channel View" is chosen, but when I exited the "Dish Headlines" channel that was displaying "Dish Multi-Channel View" and came back, I saw "Dish Headlines" on that channel. I like having both "Dish Multi-Channel View" and "Dish Headlines", especially on the Joey. Perhaps I just don't understand enough about how these two different multi channel views are occurring. Are these two different display options intentional? If so, this is a great feature. I hope this functionality does not go away.
For me being a subscriber to Dish has been good. Obviously the equipment and technology, that keeps improving has a lot to do with this.

When I select the channel for "Dish Headlines" on my 4K Joey I am still able to view "Dish Multi-Channel View" which is non news programming. I especially appreciate "Dish Multi-Channel View" on the 4K Joey because 4K Joey lacks picture in a picture capability. ...
The same here with Wally. PIP was originally announced as an upcoming feature for the 4K Joey when it first came out, but then nothing ever came of that. The only thing I can think of is that they were future-proofing the 4K Joey for use with the Hopper Duo. If they allowed PIP on the 4K Joey, that would tie up both of the Hopper Duo's tuners, which would not be good. (On the other hand, they do allow PIP on the Hopper Duo itself, which would not leave any tuners free for the Joey.) I have no idea why PIP was never included on the Wally. It also has two tuners, and only serves a single TV, so there should not be a problem there.

... I'm not sure how "Dish Multi-Channel View" is chosen, but when I exited the "Dish Headlines" channel that was displaying "Dish Multi-Channel View" and came back, I saw "Dish Headlines" on that channel. I like having both "Dish Multi-Channel View" and "Dish Headlines", especially on the Joey. Perhaps I just don't understand enough about how these two different multi channel views are occurring. Are these two different display options intentional? If so, this is a great feature. I hope this functionality does not go away.
For me being a subscriber to Dish has been good. Obviously the equipment and technology, that keeps improving has a lot to do with this.
At least this month (and for the past few months) the Dish Multi-Channel View has been featuring free preview channels. Since there are only four free preview channels currently listed on the free previews page at mydish, that makes it pretty easy to decide which four channels get featured in the regular Multi-Channel View. :biggrin

There are actually three different Multi-Channel Views available. The third one, shown all the way at the bottom of the Apps Menu, and listed in the guide on channel 853, has Spanish-language sports channels. All of these Multi-Views function in the same way. Dish groups the channels together on the same transponder, so they can all be displayed on the screen at the same time by tuning to a single channel, using a single tuner.

you can also do the 4 pip channels if you have a hopper 3, (might be available on others)
The Multi-Views that we have been discussing (where Dish chooses the channels shown) are available on all Hopper and Wally models. The 4 PIP Multi-View (where you choose which four channels you want displayed) is only available on Hopper 3. Some (but not all) Hopper models do offer a standard 2 PIP where you choose which two channels to display.

I haven't watched Dish Headlines Channel that much for a few weeks, but one thing I noticed is that sometimes you see six news channels at once and at other times four. On the occasion that I watched lately I've only seen four. Does the Dish Headlines Channel still do six news channels at a time sometimes?

I haven't watched Dish Headlines Channel that much for a few weeks, but one thing I noticed is that sometimes you see six news channels at once and at other times four. On the occasion that I watched lately I've only seen four. Does the Dish Headlines Channel still do six news channels at a time sometimes?

Hello, edisonprime. The Multi-View feature will show up to 6 channels at a time. The channels shown are those that are available for viewing through the Guide, either due to subscribing to the package the channels are a part of or if those channels are on free preview. There were some news channels that were on free preview that have expired. It is possible that the missing two channel views were part of that free preview.

Does the Hopper Duo do multiview?

Hello, navychop! The Hopper Duo does indeed offer the Multi-View option, through channels 207 (News), 151 (College sports), 100 (Multi-channel), and 853 (futbol).

Reactions: Howard Simmons
Hello, edisonprime. The Multi-View feature will show up to 6 channels at a time. The channels shown are those that are available for viewing through the Guide, either due to subscribing to the package the channels are a part of or if those channels are on free preview. There were some news channels that were on free preview that have expired. It is possible that the missing two channel views were part of that free preview.

Hello, navychop! The Hopper Duo does indeed offer the Multi-View option, through channels 207 (News), 151 (College sports), 100 (Multi-channel), and 853 (futbol).

No, I’ve been on the Multi-View plenty of times. I get all those channels. I have America’s Top 250 plus all the premiums and the Dish Movie Pack. I was talking about the Dish Headlines Channel which sometimes plays four news channels at once and sometimes six news channels at once. I also get all the news channels Dish offers, with the exception of BBC World News (of which I get through Spectrum TV Choice streaming). I was just simply asking if Dish Headlines still sometimes did the six news channels at once because since I haven’t watched that station much lately and all they showed were the four channels from the little I watched. That’s what I asked.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

No, I’ve been on the Multi-View plenty of times. I get all those channels. I have America’s Top 250 plus all the premiums and the Dish Movie Pack. I was talking about the Dish Headlines Channel which sometimes plays four news channels at once and sometimes six news channels at once. I also get all the news channels Dish offers, with the exception of BBC World News (of which I get through Spectrum TV Choice streaming). I was just simply asking if Dish Headlines still sometimes did the six news channels at once because since I haven’t watched that station much lately and all they showed were the four channels from the little I watched. That’s what I asked.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Our apologies, edisonprime! DISH Headlines Channel should show up to 6 news channels at once, like Multi-View, if you are subscribed to those channels. With your package, you should see up to 6. We do suggest reaching out to our Chat team so that we can submit a report to our Engineering Team. You are able to use this link to reach out: Direct Chat

Reactions: Howard Simmons

Just for clarity, the selection of stations shown in these Multi-Views is the same for everyone, whether you subscribe to the individual channels or not. As I mentioned earlier, the stations that are not included in your package get covered up by gray "Not Subscribed" boxes. The Multi-View apps can be set (by Dish) for a four-channel, six-channel, or eight-channel view, depending on which channels Dish wants to feature at any given time. The eight-channel view is (was) most often used for the College Sports Multi-View. As I also mentioned earlier, channel 151 is currently a simulcast of the Dish Headlines channel, rather than the usual College Sports format. It will be interesting to see if the Dish Headlines channel (207) will remain after college sports return. Dish Headlines took the place of the College Sports Multi-View app in the Apps Menu.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts