Dish Hopper 4???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
the the only improvements I could see in a hopper 4 are better processor and more memory to robustly support a better media server experience, more streaming apps such as Amazon music, Amazon video and other Amazon apps like even shopping. We could also see Hulu or even sling TV itself and just about any other media streaming service. Also apps with integration for the more modern surveillance systems such as the Ring video doorbell and other Ring surveillance products or similar ones that are designed to be used with apps.

I don't think anything's off the table for Charlie when considering the future of dish and how it can perhaps only survive in the future as a box that is a central place you go to for all things video all things audio and all things apps for controlling things in the home Etc. Charlie could even offer Google Apps or some form of Android TV as well--whatever it takes to survive. Considering Charlie was the first to bring Netflix, a service that had been considered a competitor, to his dish boxes, anything is possible.

But I think the hopper 3 is about as beefy as any dish DVR is going to get as far as the core Services of satellite TV and a DVR, considering how the world seems to be moving away from the traditional mvpds like dish and instead to the streaming services and it's lower prices. On the other hand this has potential to be the central place for the new technology of streaming services media servers and apps being everything. in other words give reasons for people to keep a dish DVR box or not to get rid of a DVR Dish box because it becomes such a multi-functional center of Home Entertainment Communications and surveillance. Somehow integrating the Amazon Show on a Dish box could be very compelling to many people. I think the hopper 4 would be a H3 with a lot of apps that work well because of upgraded processing and memory.

Reactions: Scoutdog
If you want to sign up for Dish then I would just do it. Even if there is a new Hopper in the works it won't be readily available for at least another 2 years in which you would be out of contract and could just upgrade easily.

I can see a Hopper 4 having a larger hard drive and faster CPU and add Amazon to the apps you can use. Right now I have all the apps I could ask for with the Amazon Fire v sticks on my two extra tvs and NO additional receiver fees. Just add Amazon to the DISH hopper 4 and you would have them all together in one interface . I wonder if they could add some more channels to the Prime time Anytime feature. Like add CW and maybe PBS to the mix . Maybe come up with a way to add more Tuners? Although I can tell you that I still have not used all of the 16 tuners I have now.

Reactions: pattykay
I can see a Hopper 4 having a larger hard drive and faster CPU and add Amazon to the apps you can use. Right now I have all the apps I could ask for with the Amazon Fire v sticks on my two extra tvs and NO additional receiver fees. Just add Amazon to the DISH hopper 4 and you would have them all together in one interface . I wonder if they could add some more channels to the Prime time Anytime feature. Like add CW and maybe PBS to the mix . Maybe come up with a way to add more Tuners? Although I can tell you that I still have not used all of the 16 tuners I have now.

I don't think more tuners is a big deal at all. I can't imagine there are too many running into timer conflicts right now. A larger hard drive is the biggest need. If you're going to allow people to record that many shows at once you're obviously going to need more space to store and manage them.

When and if there's a H4, in addition to the new features or capabilities previously listed, I would suspect a move to a SSD. This would facilitate a more durable box and significantly improve performance. The SSD is more expensive but the prices are constantly dropping.

When and if there's a H4
No "if", there will be a Hopper 4 someday. Thing is, Dish really pushes it when it comes to releasing new receivers every few years. Does Directv do that ? I know cableco boxes come out frequently but there's multiple providers of those and they're never technical breakthroughs.

I would suspect a move to a SSD. This would facilitate a more durable box and significantly improve performance
Yes, the price of SSDs continues to decline but they are still wayyyyyy too expensive. Check the retail price of a 2TB SSD. Remember, no way can Dish decrease storage capacity. Performance wise, I'm not sure typical DVR use would benefit. Reliability ? Dish doesn't care....

Reactions: DWS44
No "if", there will be a Hopper 4 someday. Thing is, Dish really pushes it when it comes to releasing new receivers every few years. Does Directv do that ? I know cableco boxes come out frequently but there's multiple providers of those and they're never technical breakthroughs.

Yes, the price of SSDs continues to decline but they are still wayyyyyy too expensive. Check the retail price of a 2TB SSD. Remember, no way can Dish decrease storage capacity. Performance wise, I'm not sure typical DVR use would benefit. Reliability ? Dish doesn't care....

The SSD drives are way too expensive for a DVR at this point but I would welcome them when the price is right.

The performance is not the issue, rather the fact they do not make any noise.

What I would really like to see is Dish and Directv integrate a simple cheap 16 gig flash drive on all HD receivers and not charge a DVR fee.

Just enough to pause live tv and dvr 1 or 2 shows.

Reactions: TheKrell
What about a function like TIVO advertises, their version of skip the commercials? I always thought PTAT was a joke. First it was 24hrs... then ..72... and on and on. TIVO can skip commercials with a button of a push. And they advertise some ~20 channels that they support with it not just the big four(cough cough). In this age with subs dropping like flies I don't expect anything labeled a Hopper 4. to stick to the old method.

TIVO can skip commercials with a button of a push. And they advertise some ~20 channels that they support with it not just the big four(cough cough).

My VIP skips commercials with a "button of a push" on all channels.

What about a function like TIVO advertises, their version of skip the commercials? I always thought PTAT was a joke. First it was 24hrs... then ..72... and on and on. TIVO can skip commercials with a button of a push. And they advertise some ~20 channels that they support with it not just the big four(cough cough). In this age with subs dropping like flies I don't expect anything labeled a Hopper 4. to stick to the old method.
TIVO doesn't have a contract with channel owners, and was sued once for copyright infringements

Reactions: dishrich

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)