Dish hopper help

CLASSICDIRECTV

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 19, 2022
Shreveport Louisiana USA
I dont Have dish but I have a hopper 1 and a hopper 2, They don’t have service but they have also never been deactivated, so if I got the ota adapter would it provide live feed and record on whatever hopper I use it on? I don’t care for guide or ptat or autohop. Also for some more info the hopper 1 is setup with my home media share. I also haven’t yet received the hopper 2 but have verified it and it’s joeys has never been deactivated

Also dose anyone know if they ended up removing home media share on the hopper 2 aka hopper with sling? I haven’t yet received it yet to know if it has it or not but it would be nice to finally have a hopper connected to joeys providing home media share to other rooms, and if the ota works this might be a viable solution to TiVo.

Nope with no signal after a few days they deactivate themselves. And they removed the Home Media Share (DLNA) feature a long time ago.
Ok, but dose the hopper 2 with sling support YouTube? And also when was it added? Because I’m not sure when it was last used and I’m hoping I end up getting one on carbon ui with YouTube and media share

You would need to hook up the Hopper to a Dish satellite signal in order to get the guide info for the OTA channels. (You would also need to keep the Hopper hooked up to the satellite signal in order to get software updates for the other features you are asking about.) Without the guide info, the Hopper cannot be used for OTA. With the guide info and a satellite signal, a deactivated Hopper can be used for OTA channels and built-in apps such as YouTube. I have a deactivated purchased Hopper 3 that I use precisely that way. However, even if the Hopper is activated, any Joeys that are not activated for Dish service will not even connect to the Hopper for apps or any other functionality, if I remember correctly.

Ok, but dose the hopper 2 with sling support YouTube? And also when was it added? Because I’m not sure when it was last used and I’m hoping I end up getting one on carbon ui with YouTube and media share
Yes, HWS supports YouTube. I don't remember exactly when it was added, but it has been there quite a long while. It was much more recently than the switch to the Carbon UI, though. So, simply having the Carbon UI does not guarantee that the receiver will have YouTube on it. Also, as has been mentioned, media share was completely removed back at the end of 2020.

If you do not have a Dish satellite dish that you can use for hooking up the Hopper(s) to a satellite signal, I happen to have a spare dish, along with the Solo Node(s) that I am not currently using, that I could send you. Send me a private message if you are interested.

YouTube on the Hopper series is kinda slow. My Sony TV (& Rokus) is faster.

You would need to hook up the Hopper to a Dish satellite signal in order to get the guide info for the OTA channels. (You would also need to keep the Hopper hooked up to the satellite signal in order to get software updates for the other features you are asking about.) Without the guide info, the Hopper cannot be used for OTA. With the guide info and a satellite signal, a deactivated Hopper can be used for OTA channels and built-in apps such as YouTube. I have a deactivated purchased Hopper 3 that I use precisely that way. However, even if the Hopper is activated, any Joeys that are not activated for Dish service will not even connect to the Hopper for apps or any other functionality, if I remember correctly.

Yes, HWS supports YouTube. I don't remember exactly when it was added, but it has been there quite a long while. It was much more recently than the switch to the Carbon UI, though. So, simply having the Carbon UI does not guarantee that the receiver will have YouTube on it. Also, as has been mentioned, media share was completely removed back at the end of 2020.

If you do not have a Dish satellite dish that you can use for hooking up the Hopper(s) to a satellite signal, I happen to have a spare dish, along with the Solo Node(s) that I am not currently using, that I could send you. Send me a private message if you are interested.
I sent you a pm just so you know

Reactions: pattykay