Dish Hopper Pricing Rumors Thread

CK SatGuy

Formerly ckhalil18
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
The Motor City
So with Dish launching their new website today, they've also posted their latest version of their DHA Agreement and it does contain some pricing info on the the hopper and joey. But, I would like to make sure the info gets confirmed first which is why I'm putting this thread in the pub for now.:) Here we go:

Monthly receiver fees:

Looks Like 1 hopper and 1 joey is included. Additional hoppers and joeys are $7/month each.

DVR Service Fee/Whole-House DVR Fee

DVR service fee is still $6/month however there is a $4/month whole-house on top of the dvr fee so the cost will total out to $10/month. (This fee will apply on account level.)

Upgrade Pricing: (I'm still not 100% sure yet if it's for existing customers or new ones):
Looks like it'll only cost $99 to upgrade. If you subscribe to AT 200, AT 250, America's Everything Pak, LatinoDos, or LatinoMax, the upgrade will be FREE. :eek::):cool:

http://www.dish.com/downloads/legal/DHA_Agreement.pdf

Not bad at all.

2 hoppers, 2 joeys 14 per month, dvr fees 10 per month. My fees might actually go down.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Not bad. I'm surprised that the fee for a Hopper is the same as for a Joey.

Thanks for the link and info.

It looks to me that the Hopper and Joey have a $7/month fee with the first unit having no fee, not a hopper and a joey for $7 but the wording is a bit odd, so either of us could be right. And frankly, if they charged $7/month for each unit beyond the 1st, it would be in line with what they do now and is competitive with D*.

As to upfront costs for the current subscribers, I couldn't find anything that really addressed that. But if what Scott has posted about current subs being pleased, I suspect there will be at least something reasonable to expect.

$17 a month sounds about what we are paying now with our 722k and 222k though I could be wrong.

If these prices are indeed correct I'll be happy to do an upgrade to a 2 Hopper 1 Joey (that's all I would need) system.

Thanks for the link and info.

It looks to me that the Hopper and Joey have a $7/month fee with the first unit having no fee, not a hopper and a joey for $7 but the wording is a bit odd, so either of us could be right. And frankly, if they charged $7/month for each unit beyond the 1st, it would be in line with what they do now and is competitive with D*.

As to upfront costs for the current subscribers, I couldn't find anything that really addressed that. But if what Scott has posted about current subs being pleased, I suspect there will be at least something reasonable to expect.
With the only difference being the tuner(s) on the secondary devices. With Direct, any HD DVR or Receiver is used as their "Joey". This makes the unit also function as a standalone unit with its own tuners as well. They are not dependent on the main server DVR "Hopper".

If the price rumors are correct, then this is definately not bad at all.

Last edited:
I wish we knew when they were being released.... along with the OTA tuner of course. :)

I can tell you techs are getting training on them now, and I know a number of folks who have units now. In addition I am told they have 1.5 million units ready to ship.

I say around March 1st the floodgates should open.

I still want to see how it works in a two hopper setup. I have yet to see a working demo of that. All the people I know who have one only got one hopper and one joey... I am just sort of secretly fearing that two hopper support is coming with future updates.

I hope you are having that fear in vain! :)

Since they talked about the 2 Hopper scenario a bit at CES, I would think that support for that would be at launch. Of course, with a totally new approach to things, we may see a single Hopper is all that is available at first because of product constraints. That wouldn't be out of the ordinary, though we can hope.

I still want to see how it works in a two hopper setup. I have yet to see a working demo of that. All the people I know who have one only got one hopper and one joey... I am just sort of secretly fearing that two hopper support is coming with future updates.

Let's hope the two Hopper thing comes out soon, because that would fit our needs quite nicely!

2 hoppers, 2 joeys 14 per month, dvr fees 10 per month. My fees might actually go down.

Same here. I've got a 722 and two 612's now, for a $6 DVR + 2X $10/mo fee for a total of $26. So I would save $2/mo. OK, I'll go for that!

I've been worried about that also. You had mentioned in the mondo Hopper thread that there was room on the tuner display for 3 more tuners to represent a seamless 2-Hopper compliment. But that screen real-estate could also easily be there for OTA tuners.

So the only info we have on the two Hooper set up is this?

No, no, that's just the MoCA bridge.

Last edited:
So since DISH has this on their website and its public... I saw we move this one out of the pub and make it a public discussion. :)

Everyone ok with that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts