DISH HOPPER SPEC SHEETS

Please Help me!!!

4 TV household....couple questions.

1. With Hopper System how separate live HD feeds can be viewed at the same time when nothing is recording on the DVR?

2. If 2 HD shows are being recorded how many live HD feeds can be viewed assuming the live feeds I want to watch are not either of the 2 live HD feeds that are being recorded?

3. How many separate HD shows that were previously recorded can be accessed and viewed simultaneously?

4. What is the maximum number of unique HD feeds can be viewed and recorded at the same time?

5. If a 5th TV were to be brought into the equation would a 2nd Hopper be necessary? If yes, would the Joeys be able to access the recorded shows from both Hoppers?

Thanks!!

1. 3
2. 1
3. 4, plus all 3 tuners can be recording 3 others at the same time
4. 3, unless you also mean DVR recordings, then 4
5. yes and yes

This is all assuming you have prime time anytime turned off and there is no OTA module/tuner yet.

Last edited:
With a single Hopper system, you have 3 satellite tuners. That implies that you can watch or record 3 separate satellite programs.

But WAIT! There's MORE! As they say in the commercials. If you are in Prime Time, your "big 4" networks are all being recorded at the same time. So you could be watching/recording 6 different programs, so long as 4 of them are the big 4 networks (ABC CBS NBC FOX). And when/if Dish comes out with the USB OTA module, you could then be watching/recording even more.

Right now, I believe the limit is 3 Joeys with 1 Hopper, so that would mean no more than 4 programs being fed out to TVs (with the remainder being recorded).

A 5th TV would generally mean getting the second Hopper, assuming you wanted simultaneous independent viewing at every TV.

4 TV household....couple questions.

4. What is the maximum number of unique HD feeds can be viewed and recorded at the same time?

4. 3
This is all assuming you have prime time anytime turned off and there is no OTA module/tuner yet.
wouldn't this be 7?

1 hopper, 3 joeys -> 4 TVs
3 Satellite Tuners (non-PTA)

4+3 = 7

The break down .. you could be recording 3 shows, and watching 4 previously recorded shows independently ... all are unique and total 7

Alternatively .. if meant as unique feeds that can be watched *while* being recorded, the number goes down to 3 ... as there are only 3 satellite tuners.

If the needs are 4 independently watchable live satellite feeds (generally you have 4 people), then again you have to go to 2 hoppers, unless an OTA will suffice for one viewer/user/person (most likely would not suffice all the time and you'd be back in the feud for Sat Tuner control).

EDIT: I see that others have edited their stuff since first posting.. :)
Edit for snarkies ... maybe all of this is why DirecTV did 5 tuners :)
Edit for old timers ... ours go to 11. :)

Last edited:
With a single Hopper system, you have 3 satellite tuners. That implies that you can watch or record 3 separate satellite programs.
Correction...you can record 3 separate programs, but you can watch 4 separate programs, 1 of which would be a DVR recording if three other recordings are going on. So with 4 TVs (3 Joeys), these are all possible:

Watch 4 DVR programs at once (while up to 3 other programs are recording)
Watch 3 DVR and 1 tuner used for live TV/recording another
Watch 2 DVR and 2 tuners used for live TV/recording another
Watch 1 DVR and 3 tuners used for live TV/recording another

Correction...you can record 3 separate programs, but you can watch 4 separate programs, 1 of which would be a DVR recording if three other recordings are going on. Yes, that's why I put in my second to last sentence. Perhaps I should have used the word "live" in the first sentence. So with 4 TVs (3 Joeys), these are all possible:

Watch 4 DVR programs at once (while up to 3 other programs are recording)
Watch 3 DVR and 1 tuner used for live TV/recording another
Watch 2 DVR and 2 tuners used for live TV/recording another
Watch 1 DVR and 3 tuners used for live TV/recording another

Yep. We're in full agreement.

I am very impressed with the Hopper system. The only disadvantage to me, and aparently to many others from the comments, is the lack of the OTA antenna. I have completed my 24 month commitment and ready to upgrade my equipment but I will not do anything until I know OTA will be available. It does not appear Dish knows how important this option is to many of their customers for many varied reasons. This puts Dish at a disadvantage considering competition already offers it.

I am very impressed with the Hopper system. The only disadvantage to me, and aparently to many others from the comments, is the lack of the OTA antenna. I have completed my 24 month commitment and ready to upgrade my equipment but I will not do anything until I know OTA will be available. It does not appear Dish knows how important this option is to many of their customers for many varied reasons. This puts Dish at a disadvantage considering competition already offers it.

I think all the OTA skeptcism is an over reaction. While I don't think the percentage of OTA is significant enough to delay releasing the box, it is important enough that the only real issue is how soon (not "SOON") it is released. If nothing else they need the option to be available for contract disputes.

Hopefully they will go ahead and announce or leak it works with acme model 1234 and then sell their own version when they can. That's not too different than when the wireless adapter was released for the VIPs.

wouldn't this be 7?

1 hopper, 3 joeys -> 4 TVs
3 Satellite Tuners (non-PTA)

4+3 = 7

The break down .. you could be recording 3 shows, and watching 4 previously recorded shows independently ... all are unique and total 7

Alternatively .. if meant as unique feeds that can be watched *while* being recorded, the number goes down to 3 ... as there are only 3 satellite tuners.

If the needs are 4 independently watchable live satellite feeds (generally you have 4 people), then again you have to go to 2 hoppers, unless an OTA will suffice for one viewer/user/person (most likely would not suffice all the time and you'd be back in the feud for Sat Tuner control).

EDIT: I see that others have edited their stuff since first posting.. :)
Edit for snarkies ... maybe all of this is why DirecTV did 5 tuners :)
Edit for old timers ... ours go to 11. :)

I believe the reason D* went with 5 tuners is because DISH subscribers can record 4 programs at once(while watching a previously recorded program with the 722k/wMT2 and 922).So now DISH has been one upped and needs to answer the challenge with at least a dual OTA module for the Hopper so it could basically record a possible 5 programs(wish they would have given it at least 4 tuners with a dual OTA tuner module for a total of 6).;)

Maybe this should be a poll, so if someone wants to set it up go for it ...

How many people really feel that recording the OTA signal is important? Let me clarify, I'm not talking about the primary network channel, I'm talking specifically about the sub-channels. That said, I'm only interested in markets where all network locals (including PBS) are available in HD via satellite.

For example, where I live this is the OTA sub-channel breakdown ..

FOX 2.2: showing the greatest hits of Hazel, Good Times, McHale's Navy, Father Knows Best, Three's Company, etc.

CBS 4.2: the "Live Well Network"

NBC 5.2: Weather 24-7

ABC 30.2: Cool TV
30.3: The Country Network

PBS 9.2: PBS Kids
9.3: World
9.4: Create

CW 11.2: This TV

There are about 5-7 other channels (MyTv, etc), mostly more useless than those I've listed. If I had a toddler, PBS Kids would be attractive; and This TV looks interesting. I can't envision setting a DVR timer for any of the programing on these sub-channels. I have multiple HDTV's with digital tuners built in, so if I really, really, really felt a need to watch "Welcome back, Kotter" or "Larry Rice feeds the World" I could.

One could argue that the HD feed DISH provides is not as sharp as the OTA signal. I agree, but no one (other than me) in my family cares. Much to my chagrin!

PTAT would eliminate all of our timer conflicts with HBO, AMC, TNT, and SyFy.

I suspect that most real-world families are like mine, and one Hopper would work just fine (four televisions), and two would be more than enough. Having Hopper OTA support from the get go would be nice (and I believe it will sooner than later), but it really isn't all that important in the grand scheme of things.

Many people do have kids, so PBS Kids/Sprout would be a desire.
Some of the better local PBS programming is carried on their subchannels, while the main one carries more national programming.
You don't mention ION as a local network, which I can't get in HD via Dish, only OTA.
PTAT would actually create more SAT timer conflicts for us, using a SAT tuner that could have been freed by using an OTA tuner.

For these reasons, count me as a yes, it's important.

I am still going to wait to switch to Dish with Two Hoppers and Two Joeys until the OTA is out. I just do not trust dish and there its "coming soon" that they have done year after year. They may not release the OTA till next year for all I know.

I am a real customer wanting to switch. I am not switching because it is not going to be released on release date. I will wait some more as you can only be a new customer once with a Two year contract. I bet there are others like me. Till then I will stay with DirecTV where Dish runs the risk of DirecTV making things better, or maybe the APPLE TV coming out with something better, and me and others never switching to Dish. Its a risk for Dish (hope you read these posts).

I think all the OTA skeptcism is an over reaction. While I don't think the percentage of OTA is significant enough to delay releasing the box, it is important enough that the only real issue is how soon (not "SOON") it is released. If nothing else they need the option to be available for contract disputes.

Hopefully they will go ahead and announce or leak it works with acme model 1234 and then sell their own version when they can. That's not too different than when the wireless adapter was released for the VIPs.

Many people do have kids, so PBS Kids/Sprout would be a desire.
Some of the better local PBS programming is carried on their subchannels, while the main one carries more national programming.
You don't mention ION as a local network, which I can't get in HD via Dish, only OTA.
PTAT would actually create more SAT timer conflicts for us, using a SAT tuner that could have been freed by using an OTA tuner.

For these reasons, count me as a yes, it's important.

But the question is do you record PBS programming available on the sub-channels?

No local ION here via OTA.

But the question is do you record PBS programming available on the sub-channels?

Yes, mostly PBS World. Also, remember even the main PBS channel is not part of PTAT, so there goes another SAT tuner for PBS if OTA is not an option.

You seem to be missing a major reason why people use OTA tuners. In addition to watching and recording sub-channels with the OTA tuners on Dish DVR's, one must also remember that, in many markets, Dish does not carry every local MAIN channel in HD. So, the OTA tuner is necessary just for that.

Dish doesn't have the local CW station in HD for my major metropolitan DMA. (Yet, for some reason, they have a local independant in HD, even though they hardly broadcast in it.) I would imagine others are in the same boat. I don't even watch CW. But, it is very popular with certain demographics. And, I am guessing that a lot of OTA-tuner-users are using it for that network's local affiliate. That goes for ION, as well.

I am still going to wait to switch to Dish with Two Hoppers and Two Joeys until the OTA is out. I just do not trust dish and there its "coming soon" that they have done year after year. They may not release the OTA till next year for all I know.

I agree -wait until it's released if you need OTA. It is NEVER a good idea to make a purchase hoping for something that's not on the shelf. I will probably wait as well.

I may well be proven wrong, but I am not worried about it being released, and probably sooner than later.

I agree -wait until it's released if you need OTA. It is NEVER a good idea to make a purchase hoping for something that's not on the shelf. I will probably wait as well.

I may well be proven wrong, but I am not worried about it being released, and probably sooner than later.
I have gone the "early adopter" route with many things...my television viewing will not be one of those ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts