Dish Install---Asked for 922 said it was no longer Available

I don't understand this line of reasoning with Dish..........they talk about how the 922 was the latest & greatest advance in technology & now shortly after the product became available.........they take it off the shelf...........Is this the same thing they will do with the Hopper set up?

We generally see, with dish, that the second generation of a series is better (622->722(k)), I expect that 922->Hopper/Joey (based on 922 code) will be better. Sorta makes sense to me.

I just wish they'd release pricing/availability info......

you may be correct...........just wish I understood how the new setup is going to function. Do you have to run cable to each room that you want to watch tv I was hoping for something like DTV's wireless setup.

What is it with 9xx series DVRs and Dish anyways? The 921, 942 and now the 922 all canned not too long after they were originally brought to market. One thing I've learned for sure when getting Dish Network equipment I guess at this point, if they come out with another 9xx series receiver it might be wise to avoid it.

I don't understand this line of reasoning with Dish..........they talk about how the 922 was the latest & greatest advance in technology & now shortly after the product became available.........they take it off the shelf...........Is this the same thing they will do with the Hopper set up?

As of April, the 922 will have been publicly available to customers for two years. That's not "shortly after the product became available" in any way shape or form. That actually sounds about right to me. I personally, wouldn't be asking for a 922 anyway... I'd wait for a hopper. The 922 has done it's job of getting the next generation DISH UI/software off to a somewhat rocky start, now it's time to move forward with new hardware and a much more stable user experience.

you may be correct...........just wish I understood how the new setup is going to function. Do you have to run cable to each room that you want to watch tv I was hoping for something like DTV's wireless setup.

What do you mean by cable? You'll still need coaxial cable hooked up to each bo:mad:unless I missed something on the Joeys). The MoCA should run the internet connection through the coaxial cable just like DTV's DECA system. DTV's cinema connection kit comes in a wired version for connection to your router directly from your coaxial cable & a wireless version for if your wireless router is nowhere near a coaxial cable for direct connection,it looks like right now Dish's connector only allows direct connection from the coaxial cable to the router.

I got the 922 free upgrade and it has served it primary purpose: to get mom used to the new interface as I look forward to the Hoppers. She feels comfortable now with the new UI, but it was JARRING for her at first and she is ready for the Hoppers. I have to say that we have been very lucky with our 922. The ONLY buggy thing it does is that sometimes it can take hours or rebooting during the "updates." Sometimes I have to intervene and press the RESET button. Yet, other days it finishes the reboot at "Updates" in just a few minutes. However, I look forward to trading it in for a Hopper.

Besides the user interface and the larger hard drive, what is the advantage of having a 922 over a 722?

As a dealer I could put any type of receiver in my home. My plan was to install all 922's in my home, but I ended up going with 722's and sling boxes.

Here is what I don't like on the 922...

#1 I hated the touch pad remote. Ever since I first tried it out, it just didn't click with me. I do realize they got rid of that remote, but the guide and the user interfact still have the little arrow. It drives me nuts, as the arrow was nothing more than a half assed software fix when they got rid of the touch pad remote controls.

#2 Why pay an extra $4 DVR integration fee for sling, when you can do it for free with the 722 + an external sling adaptor.

#3 No Blockbuster or on demand

#4 I do not like the touch sensitive buttons on the receiver. I prefer actual buttons.

#5 No support for Google TV

#6 There was no real support for the 922. Dish should have treated it as a replacement for the 722, they should have dropped the $4 DVR integration fee and this should have been the receiver given to all new customers. Instead Dish continued to focus on the 722, and the 922 was kind of a forgotten child.

The 922 is in the same category as the JVC-DVHS, 921 and 942. All top of the end receivers when manufactured, sold to mainly high end customers, but no real support from Dish

This thread is just so depressing for those of us that invested in the new technology.:(
I guess I'm lucky, to date the only issues I've ever had was Sling and Caller ID. Sling works well for my use and the Caller ID business is fixed with a soft reboot. Blockbuster is not an issue for me.
I've had my unit since April of 2010.

The dearly departed ViP 922 has now joins the supreme class of erstwhile--and darn BUGGY--DVR's in the same mausoleum: DishPlayer 7100, DishPro 721 and 921. The ViP 922's was a quiet death while it lost its recent battle with obtaining BlockBuster Movie Pass compatibility

The 942 lies alone in its own crypt as it was considered a well functioning HD DVR fondly remembered, but life was cut short for the MPEG2 only DVR with the migration of HD to MPEG4.

Private services for the ViP922 will be held in Denver with CEO Joe Clayton and Dish and Echostar Chairman Charles Ergan, make a rare public appearance of late since hand over day to day duties to Clayton, are expected to be in attendance. Jim DeFranco is expected to provide the eulogy while Echostar's Mark Jackson and long-time good friend Dave Kummer have confirmed they will also be in attendance. Meanwhile Echostar's Dan Minnick has been provided a unique flyer with the address for the services being different than all others who plan to attend. Plans for a public memorial have not been announced as Dish and Echostar are no focused on the coming birth of the Hopper and little baby Joey's.

The dearly departed ViP 922 has now joins the supreme class of erstwhile--and darn BUGGY--DVR's in the same mausoleum: DishPlayer 7100, DishPro 721 and 921. The ViP 922's was a quiet death while it lost its recent battle with obtaining BlockBuster Movie Pass compatibility

The 942 lies alone in its own crypt as it was considered a well functioning HD DVR fondly remembered, but life was cut short for the MPEG2 only DVR with the migration of HD to MPEG4.

Private services for the ViP922 will be held in Denver with CEO Joe Clayton and Dish and Echostar Chairman Charles Ergan, make a rare public appearance of late since hand over day to day duties to Clayton, are expected to be in attendance. Jim DeFranco is expected to provide the eulogy while Echostar's Mark Jackson and long-time good friend Dave Kummer have confirmed they will also be in attendance. Meanwhile Echostar's Dan Minnick has been provided a unique flyer with the address for the services being different than all others who plan to attend. Plans for a public memorial have not been announced as Dish and Echostar are no focused on the coming birth of the Hopper and little baby Joey's.

In lieu of flowers, an additional $10.00 per month fee will be assessed for each set connected to each of your receivers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)