Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DISH introduces Google Nest Hello to the Hopper platform
- First in a series of Google Nest-Hopper integrations to roll out in coming months
- Nest Hello Video doorbell sends notifications to Hopper and Wally-connected TVs
- Integration available to all Hopper and Wally customers today at no extra cost

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Dec. 20, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- DISH today announced that its Hopper and Wally receivers now support the Google Nest Hello Video doorbell. When the doorbell rings, Nest Hello sends on-screen notifications directly to the television.

DISH is the first pay-TV provider to integrate a Google Nest device into its ecosystem with the Device Access program. Today's Nest Hello announcement is the first in a series of Google Nest integrations coming to the Hopper platform.

"Google Nest on Hopper is about giving our customers added choice and control over their home environment — with the subtle on-screen alerts delivered by the Nest Hello, customers are better equipped to hit pause and take action right away," said Rob Sadler, DISH director of product management. "This is just the beginning of a powerful relationship with Google Nest and their vast portfolio of products."

After pairing their Google Nest account with their DISH Hopper or Wally receiver, customers will receive on-screen notifications, including an image, when their Nest Hello has been pressed.

In 2018, DISH introduced the ability for Google Assistant to control its Hopper receivers. It expanded that capability earlier this year, with the introduction of the Google Assistant-enabled DISH Voice Remote.

The Nest Hello feature is available to all broadband-connected Hopper and Wally receivers beginning today. Support for Joey (all clients) will begin rolling out in the following weeks.

Nest joins DISH's suite of smart-home control options, including the Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa and Josh.ai.

Will be interesting to follow these future installs of Google Nest Hello Video doorbells. Can you install w/o a smart phone as a stand alone? Can you add an app to a desktop instead to use on the Hopper 3? Thanks in-advance to those that add this new option and explain how to install.

Will be interesting to follow these future installs of Google Nest Hello Video doorbells. Can you install w/o a smart phone as a stand alone? Can you add an app to a desktop instead to use on the Hopper 3? Thanks in-advance to those that add this new option and explain how to install.
I think a WiFi connection is required to have remote access but it will act as a stand alone doorbell without WiFi and all the other options that existed before the Hopper added the Nest App, I'm sure still work

I just installed one. You need WiFi to use the camera. It attaches to your existing doorbell wires IF you have a doorbell that uses a 16-24 volt AC transformer. The existing doorbell chime will still work if you install an included little connector dongle in the doorbell chime.

You need a smartphone to do the initial setup of connecting to WiFi. You will get a push alert to the phone if it sees someone on the porch, even if they don't press the button (hello, UPS man who refuses to ring the bell!). It can also report loud sounds. You can talk to the person on the porch through your phone.

You can see video on your desktop/laptop, assuming you have the computer attached to your home network where the doorbell resides.

I don't have U725 yet, so I can't say how the Hopper integration works. I'll update when I get it.

There is a subscription that allows you to save video clips for longer periods of time and some other neat features like facial recognition. I'm currently in the free trial period, and will probably NOT subscribe.

The video is pretty good, but don't expect to read a license plate in your driveway.
doorbell.jpg

Reactions: TheKrell
I just installed one. You need WiFi to use the camera. It attaches to your existing doorbell wires IF you have a doorbell that uses a 16-24 volt AC transformer. The existing doorbell chime will still work if you install an included little connector dongle in the doorbell chime.

You need a smartphone to do the initial setup of connecting to WiFi. You will get a push alert to the phone if it sees someone on the porch, even if they don't press the button (hello, UPS man who refuses to ring the bell!). It can also report loud sounds. You can talk to the person on the porch through your phone.

You can see video on your desktop/laptop, assuming you have the computer attached to your home network where the doorbell resides.

I don't have U725 yet, so I can't say how the Hopper integration works. I'll update when I get it.

There is a subscription that allows you to save video clips for longer periods of time and some other neat features like facial recognition. I'm currently in the free trial period, and will probably NOT subscribe.

The video is pretty good, but don't expect to read a license plate in your driveway.
In January, the Subscription price is dropping to $6.00 per month, I do believe

Reactions: charlesrshell
I bet they don't have a lot of the larger subscriptions now and that's why they're dropping the prices, and then they can compete with Ring
Actually looking at it I don’t see anything about the existing annual pricing going forward. So, I presently have the annual $50 five day cloud subscription. If they don’t offer an annual sub I will be forced to pay $72 annually for a thirty day sub. While I have little to no need for a full thirty days I will be forced to pay nearly 50% more for it. I hope they continue with the annual tier that gives you two months of free service.

Finally got the update. Did the connection between Nest and Dish per rickaren instructions.

When someone rings the doorbell, a small window pops in the lower right corner of the TV screen with a still picture from the Nest. Response is good, about 2 seconds after the bell rings. It stays on the screen for about 15 seconds.

I'm disappointed that nothing shows on the screen when the Nest recognizes a person, but they don't ring the doorbell. I've still got to grab my phone to see what's happening.

IMG_20191224_103903 (Medium).jpg

p.s. Don't tell my wife that I have posted an unflattering picture of her on the web. It might be hazardous to my health.

DISH introduces Google Nest Hello to the Hopper platform
- First in a series of Google Nest-Hopper integrations to roll out in coming months
- Nest Hello Video doorbell sends notifications to Hopper and Wally-connected TVs
- Integration available to all Hopper and Wally customers today at no extra cost

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Dec. 20, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- DISH today announced that its Hopper and Wally receivers now support the Google Nest Hello Video doorbell. When the doorbell rings, Nest Hello sends on-screen notifications directly to the television.

DISH is the first pay-TV provider to integrate a Google Nest device into its ecosystem with the Device Access program. Today's Nest Hello announcement is the first in a series of Google Nest integrations coming to the Hopper platform.

"Google Nest on Hopper is about giving our customers added choice and control over their home environment — with the subtle on-screen alerts delivered by the Nest Hello, customers are better equipped to hit pause and take action right away," said Rob Sadler, DISH director of product management. "This is just the beginning of a powerful relationship with Google Nest and their vast portfolio of products."

After pairing their Google Nest account with their DISH Hopper or Wally receiver, customers will receive on-screen notifications, including an image, when their Nest Hello has been pressed.

In 2018, DISH introduced the ability for Google Assistant to control its Hopper receivers. It expanded that capability earlier this year, with the introduction of the Google Assistant-enabled DISH Voice Remote.

The Nest Hello feature is available to all broadband-connected Hopper and Wally receivers beginning today. Support for Joey (all clients) will begin rolling out in the following weeks.

Nest joins DISH's suite of smart-home control options, including the Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa and Josh.ai.

Will we get the same for us with Ring doorbells? (Amazon)

Reactions: thomasjk
Will we get the same for us with Ring doorbells? (Amazon)
Good question. Dish techs don't sell Ring Doorbells, but we do install them if you buy one from Amazon. Dish's Ontech, I believe does sell, service and install them

INSTALLED GOOGLE NEST Video Doorbell (on Dish Hopper) with Wireless Ringer

First off the best way and safest install for the Nest Doorbell is to supply power by a plug-in power adapter. Forget about finding your present transformer or adding one or adding a door bell chime. I started with a Power Adapter for Nest Hello Video Doorbell 18V Output Power Supply Cable Charger Kit w/Outlet Plug-in by Sully.

81V4uBWlAuL._SL1500_.jpg

It worked great, was easy to install, and was inexpensive. I later returned finding a better option. If you never plan to add a ringer for your video doorbell, this is for you.

However I started to think, with a plug-in power adapter surely you should be able to add a wireless ringer, too. But all searches said NO. After about two days I found what I was looking for!

61L1ZW0QQVL._SY879_.jpg
OhmKat Video Doorbell Power Supply-Compatible with Nest Hello-No Existing Wiring Required-Transformer Adapter, Power Kit & Supply All In One

51nH%2BPFS9ZL._SL1000_.jpg
OhmKat Wireless Universal Video Doorbell Chime for use with Nest

Order the above power supply if you might want to add a chime in the future or both if you want a chime now. The OhmKat power supply has a cable that allows you to UPGRADE to the addition of THEIR doorbell chime.

Adding both is more expensive but maybe not if you attempt other options. One thing is sure it is safer.

How to Install the OhmKat Chime

Other Info.

You will need a Smartphone to set-up your new Nest Doorbell. You can not use your Computer (Windows 10). I attempted to do so. So far I have not had any luck with picture on TV when movement is detected at front door (as shown on phone) but does work when doorbell is pressed. All the above are available from Amazon except the Nest Doorbell. Since Amazon owns "Ring Doorbells" guess they won't sell Google ones. Ordered mine from DISH as a rewards for adding this App to the Hopper. Found the below LINK helpful. Good Luck!

How to change Nest Hello video doorbell settings

Last edited:
Reactions: HipKat