DISH is airing inappropriate ads on TV Land

hrxtreme

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
Castle Rock, CO
OK, so I admit, that I hate the Brady Bunch with a passion, but recently, my wife loaded the DVR with numerous episodes off of TV Land. Our 7 year old daughter is watching and suddenly, wham... a Girls Gone Wild commercial showing almost full exposure with only those little starts covering the evidence... showing all this girl action, and naturally the 7 year old goes running, confused, upset, and out of her element... she had no idea why she saw what she did, and she is smarter than the average seven year old. So apparently my mother in law decided to email TV Land directly and within 20 minutes they wrote back and said that they would never air that and DISH was the one who put the ad on air....

So... this isn't just an isolated instance either... it happened a lot and we have the evidence to show it...

I just find it absolutely ridiculous that a channel considered to be on their family plan would air this type of content. I don't mind it on some channels, but when you mess with channels our kids watch, then it's time to be upset. So, needless to say, DISH will be getting a letter from us... and not a nice one... way to go DISH...

From what I've read about this on the TVLand forums it does appear that these are spots being aired by Dish Network. This is what one of their moderators posted on their message board to anyone having issues with the ads:

If you are watching TV Land via Dish Network, we are having some major issues with the "network" spots that they are airing during TV Land programming. IF this is or is not the situation, please contact me at mailcall@tvland.com and include as much information as possible about the date/time and airing of the commercial, your cable/service provider and your city/state. I am working with both our advertising and affiliates departments on this issue.

I noticed the exact same thing last night, when sitting down to watch Brady Bunches recorded around a week ago with my 7-year-old daughter and 6-year-old son. Fortunately I had the controller and was skipping through commercials anyway, but my wife and I were shocked to see ads for both the GGW videos and K-Y or some similar gel.

I'm not sure of TV Land's overnight schedule, but I wonder if these Brady Bunch episodes were running at this time (Midnight-5am)? Some of my local Charlotte stations as well as the infomericals on other channels can run some risque ads during those hours.

That's one of the reasons that I keep my old replaytv's around. I record almost everything that we watch (barely ever watch anything in realtime except for news/weather "sometimes"). The ReplayTV DVR automatically skips over commercials, and we never see the offending junk. Sure, sometimes I feel "left out" when people at the water cooler are talking about a funny commercial they saw last night, but I also get to watch twice as many tv programs as them due to autoskipping commercials.

I think DISH gets a block of time every hour where they put in their own commercials that they sell. Like those annoying Countrywide commercials.

They need to do a better job in filtering out what channels those commercials land on. I could see Spike TV or even ESPN overnight. But TV Land or Nick at Nite should be filtered out.

I don't watch TVLand, but I have seen Dish do this on other channels which should be more family friendly.

I have noticed that I don't see those GGW type of PPV listed in the guide anymore. I have adult stuff blocked and while that took most of the adult chans out of the guide, the PPV stuff had remained in the "Sports" section of the PPV listings.

Last edited:
I'm not sure of TV Land's overnight schedule, but I wonder if these Brady Bunch episodes were running at this time (Midnight-5am)? Some of my local Charlotte stations as well as the infomericals on other channels can run some risque ads during those hours.

Looks like the Brady's are airing at 4:30AM EST on TVLand.

Maybe the 40-65 year old demographic that TVLand is geared for enjoys there Girls Going Wild in the early morning.

Ironically, TVLand is available in Dish's "Family Tier" too. Didn't the gov't require cable and satellite companies to offer a "family friendly" package ? If so, I imagine there are guidelines about what can and can't be shown.

Not to defend Dish, but this auto-inserting commercials is probably automated but they still need to put some controls in for what shows on what channels. Maybe they just randomly insert them too...

Ironically, TVLand is available in Dish's "Family Tier" too. Didn't the gov't require cable and satellite companies to offer a "family friendly" package ? If so, I imagine there are guidelines about what can and can't be shown.

Not to defend Dish, but this auto-inserting commercials is probably automated but they still need to put some controls in for what shows on what channels. Maybe they just randomly insert them too...

They do it with other channels in the family package too. I've seen some "inappropriate" (for some) commercials on the other channels in the family pack. And these are locally inserted (you can tell as a national commercial starts then an abrupt insert for a commercial)

I wonder if that could lead to a fine from the FCC for showing such content on a family channel that is being offered in family packages?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)