Dual HD DVR Question

jeffr

Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
I am new to this forum and am past my Dish 18 month commitment. Am thinking about upgrading from my 625 dvr to a 722. We only want one box, but to feed two TVs. Only one tv is HD at the moment, but that will change in time. Does anyone have any clue as to when Dish will come out with a DVR with TWO HD tuners so that we can record 2 HD channels at once and feed HD to two tv's? I know this has to be coming and I hate to pay $125 for the 722 and then find that 3-6 months later they introduce the box I really want. Anyone have any news on a dual HD box upcoming? thanks.
Jeff

Any dual HDTV solution will likely be a two-piece solution connected by Ethernet cabling. The tech chat rumblings suggested that this wouldn't happen for at least a year.

You do know that you can feed two HDTV's from the 722 TV-1 connections (HDMI and component), don't you. You have to watch the same show on both, of course, but for some applications it works great.

Brad

:welcome to SatelliteGuys

This question was asked in the Tech Chat on Monday. Here's the q and A from the recap at http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/124540-tech-chat-recap-2-11-08-a.html

PHONE Q. Josh: Looking for a HD DVR dual turner to output HD to both tvs.

Answer: Thinking about it. How do you get HD to the second tv? Can't use coax and analog. Have to build a thin client, and use wiring in the home ot get to the second tv.
Got a product in development....

I think he also added some comment about not holding our breath !

I suspect that product started development in his mind, on the show, as the question was asked. Maybe if some wireless HDCP compliant system became a "standard" we might see this.

jeffr, 722 does have two, actually three if you includes OTA, HD tuners. You can record 3 HD programs at the same time. It just cannot output HD to TV2.

I have one of these on the way to me so I can run an hdmi to the bedroom!!

25221.jpg

For only $10.01 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Video/Audio Splitter - HDMI M to HDMI F X 2 | HDMI Passive/Non-Powered Splitter

You saying you bought 50? ;)

I'm surprised these things would work, with HDCP. I guess the possibility of such a device must have been considered when the HDMI specs were created.

Or do they sometimes cause problems? I know my switcher works perfectly.

Dish told me I could only record one HD program at a time, but you are saying that there are 2 or 3 HD tuners inside? Are you recording more than one HD program at the same time? Thanks.

And thanks to everyone for the great responses.

Dish told me I could only record one HD program at a time, but you are saying that there are 2 or 3 HD tuners inside? Are you recording more than one HD program at the same time? Thanks.

And thanks to everyone for the great responses.

You can record 3 at a time (2 DBS and 1 OTA). There is only 1 HD output on the 622/722, so you can only watch 1 HD program at a time. TV2 can watch a downrezed HD program though.

Wireless HDMI baby. Probably 2 - 3 years out at a power level that'll go throughout a house but it's a technology that can scale.

For now, just get a new receiver for the other room.

Possible options are Wireless HDMI, although I doubt some company like HBO wants their station transmitted wirelessly.

Another option is a built-in ATSC encoder or QAM modulator so that TV2 can pick it up through coax input in HD.

3rd option is a second HDMI out or component out and then just include two cat5 baluns to convert over to cat5 and back. Cheaper from an equipment standpoint, but expensive as an install when DISH factors in the cost of all their hourly techs running cat5 wires. Now that they're two companies, probably less concern about that.

You saying you bought 50? ;)

I'm surprised these things would work, with HDCP. I guess the possibility of such a device must have been considered when the HDMI specs were created.

Or do they sometimes cause problems? I know my switcher works perfectly.
Well it is certainly quirky with the 622. I hooked it up last night and both TV's have to be on and set to the HDMI input to work. If I change the TV in the BR over to the OTA input, the TV in the living room loses the picture. And vice versa.

I wonder if one of these will work better.

For only $66.00 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 1X2 Powered HDMI Splitter | HDMI Active/Powered Splitter

I was looking at doing something like that, or get the hdmi over Cat 5 going. I think it is still cheaper just to run a cable to the back and put a 612 back there.

You do know that you can feed two HDTV's from the 722 TV-1 connections (HDMI and component), don't you. You have to watch the same show on both, of course, but for some applications it works great.

Brad

How would you do that Brad? I just ordered a 722 and would love to send HD to 2 TVs.

How would you do that Brad? I just ordered a 722 and would love to send HD to 2 TVs.

Brad already told you. Hook one HDTV to the HDMI output and the other gets connected via component / plus audio hookup. Both HDTV's will be viewing the same channel though as they will both be connected to the TV-1 output.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts