DISH is back with (west) distant networks

The previous Dish DNS offering included New York and Los Angeles. Also, it does not say that the DNS would be in lieu of the current Locals in the packages, which I believe is the in the regulations allowing DNS.

It looks like only LA to stay within the rules about not receiving HD prime time before the local viewers can. This could happen with NY CONUS channels.

Actually, now I am equipped to receive WA and EA satellites and the Chat process for changing Services Addresses is working quite well, I am not sure I would want to deal with the LA time shift while in Eastern time. Staring to watch PT channels at 11:00 PM is rather late. It was bad enough watching PT channels in the Atlantic time zone.

But for those who have problems changing Service Addresses, DNS would be a step forward.

I prefer getting the locals for the area I'm in, but I think it's great that Dish is acknowledging the growing RV market and once again offering DNS! The NYC locals are also on a CONUS beam on 119 in SD, making me wonder if they will be offered again as well eventually.

Dish could add SD broadcast channels from New York as SD channels were not time restricted like HD channels.

Reactions: joewhite57
It looks like you will need to have a permanently attached satellite antenna on your rig and prove it to qualify....

It looks like you will need to have a permanently attached satellite antenna on your rig and prove it to qualify....
Actually permanent mounting was never an issue but current vehicle registration of the RV or truck is. And the registration needs to be updated annually.

Reactions: TheKrell
Having NYC and LA was very relevant with the VIP series DVRs and even the Hoppers.
But now with the H3 and 16 tuners it isn't as important. You could record some networks from NYC and others from LA to get around the limited number of tuners.
I am a hoarder partially because I don't have time to watch everything I would like to each day. So I may save a few series for the season break, then binge watch them one series at a time. I may knock out an entire season of one series in two or three days.

The Hopper 3 did remove the benefit of EC/WC DNS. Since DNS was SD only most of the time except for a short interval with All American Direct, we used the three hour time shift to be able to record all four broadcast channels for a given time slot.

With PTAT, no need for DNS.

Actually permanent mounting was never an issue but current vehicle registration of the RV or truck is. And the registration needs to be updated annually.
I was referring to this that is part of that link: *Distant Network Service may be received only with a satellite antenna that is permanently attached to an RV or commercial truck. Additional restrictions apply. Proof of vehicle registration and other verification requirements apply.

Having had DNS from Dish from 2006 when it was available, nowhere on the forms does is ask for a "permanently mounted dish".

But your car registration will not get you a DNS exemption. That part is clear.

Wonder if this is somehow tied to DISH now allowing you to opt out of locals. Interesting you have to have a dish attached to the motorhome or truck to get them.

Wonder if this is somehow tied to DISH now allowing you to opt out of locals. Interesting you have to have a dish attached to the motorhome or truck to get them.
I'm sure it about the distant network side of things. Remember, your local networks want to keep their advertising in your face....

Reactions: comfortably_numb
It is part of the law allowing DNS. The exemption is for RVs, Boats and Commercial Trucks. It is part of the protection of DMA advertising.

I'm sure it about the distant network side of things. Remember, your local networks want to keep their advertising in your face....

It is part of the law allowing DNS. The exemption is for RVs, Boats and Commercial Trucks. It is part of the protection of DMA advertising.

Those answers don't seem to answer my question but maybe I didn't express it well. I am extremely familiar with all aspects of DNS particularly where DISH is involved. My question is why now? DISH dropped giving all DNS and I don't mean in relation to the Court judgement. DISH resurrected DNS for awhile then ended it. It seems to me it may be more than a coincidence they now allow you to drop your locals and at virtually the same time offer RV DNS service again. One of a couple reasons I think they are tied, we know they have been working on allowing dropping the locals for awhile now and one reason for the delay may be to work on DNS to along with it. Now that you are not locked into getting locals and pay that $10 DISH can offer DNS (to RV's\some trucks) without increasing the cost.

Not related just to RV's per se, If DISH had separated out locals when you could get DNS from All American Direct I bet many more would have done so.

When All American Direct was available, the Locals were not packaged in the subscription packages and AAD required the RV registration because that is the Federal law. So much for that conspiracy.

All American Direct got into the market when Dish was banned because Dish didn't do the due diligence and verify that the subscribers with DNS were legal. There were many Dish users who had DNS before 1997 and were grandfathered. But there were numerous people who got DNS and weren't legal and Dish did a terrible job of checking. Dish wasn't convicted of supply DNS to the wrong people, they were convicted of not running the check.

When Dish delivered Locals into all the DMA, the FCC allowed Dish to go back into the DNS marketplace and that contributed to the demise of AAD.

Dish dropped DNS to relocate the resources that supported DNS to solving the "movers" problem as the Broadcasters were on Dish's case. "Movers" think they are cute but they put a load on Dish because of Broadcaster's pressure.

The Locals pricing was $5.00 and then nothing when the packages were increased to cover the cost. A wash. Then there was a $10.00 price attached to the Locals cost but the packages price, with Locals, stayed the same, a wash when the Flex packages came along. The Flex Packages came without Locals and prices accordingly.

If Locals hadn't been separated for the Flex packages, Dish would have had to do it for DNS.

You can gripe about the price going from $5.00 to $10.00 over several years but then again, look at all the battles Dish has to fight with money grubbing local broadcasters.

And I see a lot of gripping about the EPG related to OTA form people who choose not to have Locals. I think there should be a fee for the EPG.

Reactions: jamesjimcie
I see a lot of gripping about the EPG related to OTA form people who choose not to have Locals. I think there should be a fee for the EPG.

I gripe and will continue to gripe about EPG data for OTA. Dish sells and markets OTA products and accessories to integrate with their equipment, so they can and should provide EPG data to go along with those products. If they didn't intend for people to use those products, then they wouldn't need to provide EPG data.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)