Dish is cutting off the ends of shows...

ntarvin

Original poster
Oct 30, 2011
Oklahoma
We have a 722K in the living room and a 612 in the bedroom. Both of these seem to have the timing off somehow. We have had these for several months now and have yet to get a complete show on either one of them.

When we got them, they had something like - start recording 2 minutes ahead of the show and finish 2 minutes after the show ends. That screwed really badly with scheduling recordings, so we changed the timing to 0 minutes ahead, and 0 minutes after (even putting it at 1 minute after didn't work well with scheduling.)

We have yet to be able to see any show all the way through. We constantly lose at least the last minute of everything. I know that the networks sometimes play with their timing - but not every single show on every single network.

We had the other *Dtv* provider for years and never had this problem. We also have a Tivo, and don't have the problem. I don't see us doing this with Dish for another 20 months until we get through this contract!

What's wrong with our Dish recorders? And, how do I fix it???

Not a dish Problem and yes, the same thing happens with D*. Networks schedule to end late, particularly ABC and sometimes CBS comedies on Monday. You need to set to start and end early. I had the same issues with Dish for 12 years and now with D*. If you are recording the same channels back to back, the receivers are able to buffer so as to not lose any programming.

S~

The History Channel shows are apparently horrible about ending late! I record several of those, and they seem to be getting worse instead of better.

You're just not getting it... maybe I explained it poorly...

It's *every* recorded show on *every* network.

It's not just History, or ABC, or CBS. It's every single thing we record. It's like the clock that controls the timers is a minute fast....

I have checked my Dish receiver's clock with my computer clock (which uses an atomic clock server to get its time) and my cell phone clock and the three of them are almost perfectly synchronized. Even so, I have the same problem as you do on every channel I have checked. So I have come to think of this problem as a network strategy, not a Dish problem. If I use my old DVD-R recorder and set it to what I believe is the correct time (as per my computer and cell phone), I will have my shows cut off at the end also. So I believe (at least in my case) it is not Dish fault.
On the other hand, I am very interested in trying teachsac's solution, never occurred to me. Next time I have to record back to back, I will end a minute later, and see what happens.

its actually two fold
-if you record back to back shows Dish receivers "hard cut" (stop at the exact time in the guide). Directv records the 1 minute overlap (if you say to)
-some programs that run long Dish's guide shows it ending at bottom or top of hour. Good example is 2 1/2 men. In the Directv guide it shows 8-8:31 (CDT)...Dish shows 8-8:30. The shows on A&E, History, etc that later go from say 9:30-10:01 the Dish guide still shows 10:00

If you can set the default to end a minute or two later will help.

I notice it also, especially on channels that don't insert commercials between shows.Here's my take. The Dish feed is delayed a few seconds behind what the providers sent to cable/ota systems. Could be buffering. Before I added an ehd to my 211, there was noticeable sync difference between my 722 and the 211. If I had the same show on both, it would drive my wife crazy. Once I added the ehd, they are both in sync. Could also be due to up and down linkage and processing at Dish. This just speculation.

For CBS Monday night comedies I set a manual timer that covers 2 hours and I also set one on Wednesdays on ABC for 2 hours. I never miss any endings due to networks trying to force the show to go over an hour. I also set 5 minutes on shows like Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives to catch the endings on those two. If I set just 3 minutes end late and another show is set to record at the top of the hour , it will cut off the endings.

For CBSon sunday, I set a 90 minute overrun on the 10 pm show because the 9 show may start 45 minutes late because of football and this gives me the 9pm show (in two recordings) and the 10 starts with the ending of the 9 and gets all of the 10. A real BIG PAIN.

For CBSon sunday, I set a 90 minute overrun on the 10 pm show because the 9 show may start 45 minutes late because of football and this gives me the 9pm show (in two recordings) and the 10 starts with the ending of the 9 and gets all of the 10. A real BIG PAIN.
That is why I have always said sports should be on sports channels so the network scheduled shows show up ON TIME. I use pip to find out when the sports end so I know what time to set manual timers for the two shows I want to see. It works.

The rounding of start/stop times to the nearest :05 is very much a Dish problem. You have to go to another guide source to find the real schedule which may have to be further adjusted by real-world experience.

Grouping or bunching recordings is an excellent idea!

Setting up manual timers when recordings can be "grouped" is a very good suggestion! I'll definitely try that one...

I'm still very reluctant to add minutes - it invariably causes a domino effect with everything else. (We're heavily into time-shifting. We rarely watch shows when they are on - we record and watch at our convenience - usually several episodes of a show at one time. We'll try the bunching, though...)

I truleybelive this to be a network issue. They all know many have dvrs. They want us to stay on their channel so they run programming together intentionally.
I noticed this some time ago with greys anatomy and private practice. Would have to watch beginning of private practice to see end of greys. Manual timer recording from start of greys to a minute passed the guide end of private practice solved that issue.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

I disagree. The number of DBS dvr's is minuscule compared to the number of people who receive their programing via cable. What needs to be done is have the same program on cable and Dish side by side and see if there is a delay on Dish. When I compare the ota signal of one of my locals to the Dish feed of the same channel, Dish is lagged by at least 6 seconds.

When I compare the ota signal of one of my locals to the Dish feed of the same channel, Dish is lagged by at least 6 seconds.
and that is due to the multiple uplinks/downlinks the feed takes

Exactly. Read my previous post. I beleive that this is the reason timers set of 0/0 always start of few seconds before the start of a show will end a few seconds before the end of the timer.

I have a three hour manual timer for Sundays on CBS due to Sports overruns and so far I haven't had to miss any of my shows. Manual timers work great for these situations.