Dish Is now showing TBS HD!

yeah, I only posted it in the interest of full disclosure...I am very happy there is this "friendly" competition evolving, as it only means MORE HD FOR ALL OF US, and that can only be viewed as a good thing..

Dish National HD channel count (for those who are keeping score:
(snip)

Premium Channels (east versions only) Movies shown original aspect ratio (OAR) including additional letterboxing or pillarboxing when necessary
37) HBO
38) Cinemax
39) Starz
40) Showtime
(snip)

Great post but HBO, Cinemax and Starz play games w/ their movies. They do crop. However, they don't stretch. AFAIK, Showtime is the only that does OAR all the time.

Again, thanks for the great post--it's very informative.

Species: The Awakening, Bionic Woman, Flash Gordon, Stargate: Atlantis and counting. Highly likely Battlestar Galactica as well. I'm sure 80% of this forum would replace A&E HD on their Dish/Cable lineup with Sci-Fi HD in a heartbeat.

But that would mean no more Dog the Bounty Hunter pocks, wrinkles, and scars in HD anymore! We couldn't have that, could we?

I can assure you that Dish reads most every post here. Dish Network is one of the biggest user of bandwidth here at SatelliteGuys.

I also heard from a few sources that the reason TBS HD was turned on tonight was because of the picture that Bob posted last night of TBS HD. I will get more into it when I get home tommorow night, but the explanation I got from seperate sources and temporary channel assignment make sense to me.

Scott,

Do you have anymore information on this whole Bob thing? It's great to be able to watch the playoffs in HD again! :)

Congrats Scott on seeing last nights awesome game in person but I will say seeing it in HD at my house in LA, CA was beautiful. Thanks Bob and all the rest of us who complained about not getting TBS-HD after watching the whole season with NESN-SD while my sister in law talked about NESH HD was getting to me.

I got a taped phone call from Dish this morning letting me know of the channel addition... anyone else??

Go Sox

I love all the people whining about NESN HD, try being a Philly fan who can't even get CSN-Philly in SD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! boo hoo shut up and get Directv.

I love all the people whining about NESN HD, try being a Philly fan who can't even get CSN-Philly in SD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! boo hoo shut up and get Directv.

Yes, those Comcast bastards...:mad:

I hate that company with the firery passion of hell!

Well, not that much I guess.

It is irritating.

Dish National HD channel count (for those who are keeping score:

1) Food Network HD (24-7 Unique Schedule to Sd counterpart)
2) HGTV (24/7 - Ditto to above)
3) A&E (Some HD - the rest STRETCH-O-VISION)
4) History Channel HD (Ditto - Stretch-O-Vision)
5) TNT (Some HD - The rest Scaled stretch-o-vision)
6) TBS (Some HD - The rest Scaled stretch-o-vision)
7) ESPN (Lots of HD events, 4x3 SD with borders that prevent burn-in)
8) ESPN 2 (Same as ESPN)
9) NFL Network (many HD events, 4x3 SD with black bars)
10) Discovery Channel (Some HD with "zoomed" SD programs thin black lines on the sides)
11) TLC (Same as Discovery)
12) Animal Planet (Same as Discovery only not as many HD programs)
13) National Geographic Channel (Lots of HD with 4x3 SD black bars)
14) Science Channel (Same as Discovery)
15) Versus/Golf Channel (Some HD events, otherwise mostly 4x3 with black bars)
16) Big 10 Network + 4 Alternates (HD Events 4x3 with black bars)

24/7 HD Content Channels

17) HD Theater
18) HD Net
19) HD Net Movies
20) Universal HD
21) MHD (combo of MTV/VH1 and CMT)

Voom Channels "no one" wants. All Commercial Free and all 24/7 HD (I am not "no one")
22) Rave (music/concerts)
23) Equator (Like the Travel channel and the old OLN)
24) Gallery (Museum/Fine Arts)
25) Treasure (Collectibles/Travel)
26) Animania (some of the worst cartoons you ever saw!)
27) World Cinema (Movies from around the world)
28) Rush (Extreme Sports)
29) World Sport (Sports from around the world and replayed 78,092,832 times)
30) Ultra (Everything you never wanted to know about fashion)
31) Kung Fu (Martial arts movies some great some very camp)
32) Film Fest (More movies from all over)
33) Monster (Horror/monster/sci-fi movies)
34) HD News Channel
35) Game Play (What G4 was before Tech TV/ZDTV)
36) Family (Some good movies for the kids + endless reruns of Flipper and Thunderbirds)

Premium Channels (east versions only) Movies shown original aspect ratio (OAR) including additional letterboxing or pillarboxing when necessary. (Edit: Some movies also cropped (sides clipped off) or slightly zoomed on HBO and Cinemax).
37) HBO
38) Cinemax
39) Starz
40) Showtime

Regional Sports Networks (Part Time Channels) - Counting these only because DirecTV counts theirs
41) Comcast Sports Net
42) Altitude
43) Fox Sports Net Prime Ticket
44) Fox Sports Rocky Mountain
45) Fox Sports Arizona
46) Fox Sports Southwest
47) Fox Sports West
48) Fox Sports Midwest
49) Fox Sports South
50) Sun Sports
51) Fox Sports Florida
52) Comcast Sports Mid Atlantic
53) Fox Sports Ohio (Cleveland/Columbus)
54) Fox Sports Ohio (Cincinnati)
55) Fox Sports Northwest
56) Fox Sports Pittsburgh
57) Comcast Sports Net Chicago
58) Fox Sports Detroit
59) Sports Time Ohio
60) Fox Sports North
61) SportSouth
62) Sports Net New York

Counting these only because DirecTV counts their one channel
63-70) Pay Per View HD (8 channels)

71-86) NHL Center Ice HD channels (Event only part time channels)

+ the 4 Big Ten Network Alternates not counted yet.

90 unique HD channels on Dish Network right now.

My totally biased DirecTV list:

Distant HD Networks (Per court order interpreting an act of Congress Dish is permanently barred from offering these)

1) ABC East
2) ABC West
3) CBS East
4) CBS West
5) Fox East
6) Fox West
7) NBC East
8) NBC West

Simulcast National HD Channels

9) A&E
10) Animal Planet
11) Big Ten Network
12) Bravo
13) CNN
14) Discovery
15) ESPN
16) ESPN2
17) Golf/Versus HD
18) History
19) NFL Network
20) Science Channel
21) Sci-Fi
22) TBS
23) TLC
24) TNT
25) USA
26) Weather Channel

24/7 HD Only Channels

27) HD Theater
28) HDNet
29) HDNet Movies
30) MHD
31) Smithsonian
32) Universal HD

Premium Channels

33) Cinemax East
34) Cinemax West
35) HBO East
36) HBO West
37) The Movie Channel
38) Showtime East
39) Showtime West
40) Sho Too
41) Starz East
42) Starz West
43) Starz Comedy
44) Starz Edge
45) Starz Kids & Family

24/7 Nationally Available RSNs (Dish RSNs are not truly nationally available, many are only on the 61.5 or 129 orbital location.)

46) CSN Chicago
47) CSN Mid-Atlantic
48) NESN
49) SNY
50) YES

51) PPV HD
52) PPV Events HD

53-65) NHL Center Ice HD (Unlike Dish, DirecTV doesn't assign more channel numbers than games could occur if every team in the league were playing simultaneously)

66-75) NFL Sunday Ticket

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
[edt by TNGTony]THOSE THAT WISH TO CONTINUE THE COMPARISON CONVERSATION ARE INVIDED TO DO SO HEREhttp://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...109999-dish-vs-directv-hd-channel-counts.htmlhttp://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...109999-dish-vs-directv-hd-channel-counts.html[/edit]
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...109999-dish-vs-directv-hd-channel-counts.html

Last edited by a moderator:
anyone have bitrate / resolution info for this channel? Specifically during the game.

TBS HD backhaul = 55 Mbps Mpeg2 1920x1080i

TBS HD distribution = 18 Mbps Mpeg 2 Unknown resolution

TBS HD Dish Network = 9.5 Mbps Mpeg 4 1440x1080i

This is Bush League sike-out stuff Colorado!

They are running scared now, have to mess with the lights! :D:yikes

I'm still waiting to see what is going on too. I'm glad everyone can see the playoffs in hd now, and glad to see the scrubs loose. LOL but I did have invested interest as a Chicagoan. So, Maybe Next year will be the year for the SOX! But I'm still an MLB Fan, and I'm still hoping that dish does get MLB extra innings for next year! If they did I would be signing up for it again, just like I did for Center Ice this year. So for now I root for the Rockey's for my wife who is a native Coloradoan (Colorado Springs).

As far as my future relationship with Dish Network? Who knows. For now after a long talk with my wife I'm keeping Dish at least for the next month to see how dish responds, and I'm getting Directv concurrently installed. We will see how it turns out and then we will decide what will be best for us! I think dish knows fully what they have to do... and they have room for 18 or so channels do do it on if they leave the current hd ppv situation alone.

Personally I would love to see dish kill all but two or three of those hd ppv channels and use the rest for national HD. That will actually strengthen the offerings of HD PPV as they wont have as many repeats, while adding national hd and overall competing with Directv. Most likely anyhow anyone who is ordering HD PPV is DVRing it anyhow or has some sort of archiving ways so an all day ticket really isn't needed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)