Dish is over 600 feet from proposed multi switch and need HD signal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tscheren

Original poster
May 17, 2011
Fairfax Station
From the roof of the building, through the conduit and into our space in the building is over 600 feet. Unfortunately the conduit winds through the building like a snake. I am told by standard installers that it is no go for an HD signal for cable over 200 feet. Looking for a solution. Would RG11 help.

Those are the amps I use at work and the even work w/ dish pro plus ( I know you are talking about directv but still)
It makes a HUGE a difference whether it is DIRECTV or DISH Network.

DIRECTV's legacy HD stack plan goes from 250-2150MHz so you're going to miss out on half the HD bandwidth with the aforementioned amplifier and it isn't certain there will be enough power to operate the LNB assembly that is itself a four output multiswitch.

DIRECTV's SWM mostly resides at 950-1800MHz, but I think there's a bidirectional control channel hiding way down at 2.3MHz and I'm dubious that it will make the return trip.

SWM has a RG-6 maximum of 200' between the splitter and the switch. Even with the added current carrying capability of RG-11, I doubt that enough voltage will make it up to the dish to power an SWM LNB. The SWM power supply is 21VDC at 1.2 amps.

Using a handy voltage drop calculator, what starts as 21VDC will end up being about 10VDC using 18ga RG-6. Using RG-11 the voltage drops down to 17.2VDC without accounting for the amplifier load. It might work with a 28VDC power inserter and RG-11.

power should not be an issue . he should have axx to building power at the top to power the converter and power at the point when looking to distribute the signal.

Ps those inline amps are not good for what your trying to do.

If your looking to go on the cheap see what your options are . Coax systems $900-1300 in hardware not labor or plenum. Fiber $2k+ but you can push it verry far without issues.

Will the building let you use anything other then plenum cable? Local codes and insureance issues.

Can the Existing conduit take RG6/11 ? Can you get 5-6lines through it? What other signals are going though the building CATV,Microwave, Ect.. This will help you out in many many ways.

Last edited:
power should not be an issue . he should have axx to building power at the top to power the converter and power at the point when looking to distribute the signal.

Ps those inline amps are not good for what your trying to do.

If your looking to go on the cheap see what your options are . Coax systems $900-1300 in hardware not labor or plenum. Fiber $2k+ but you can push it verry far without issues.

Will the building let you use anything other then plenum cable? Local codes and insureance issues.

Can the Existing conduit take RG6/11 ? Can you get 5-6lines through it? What other signals are going though the building CATV,Microwave, Ect.. This will help you out in many many ways.

If it's in conduit, it doesn't need to be plenum cable. Plenum is only required when the cable runs through air handling ducts/spaces. I also don't understand why you think he would need to have 5-6 lines, even a non-SWiM dish only needs 4.

Pulling coax (especially something nasty like RG11) through a 600ft maze is going to be rough in and of itself. If it runs through the entire building, then there are going to be boxes and fittings along the way and you're not going to be able to do much without access to them. How many stories is the building (and how many stories between your unit and the roof)? Can you maybe get permission from the owner to run the coax down the side of the building, inside conduit if necessary? Otherwise I don't see any other viable way. Fiber is silly, it won't work without massive spending on equipment (if it works at all), and even then you'll be totally on your own with it. No installer or tech is going to touch it when you have issues

Last edited:
plenum is required in some locations that ive done 100% wish i could have gotten around it but code in the city required it and the city inspectors where real sticklers LA county.

Fiber has been a godsent for us in many locations when 23+ floors of the buidling are using the same conduit run for CATV, Microwave, cctv not much space in those things once every one jumps in it. As for techs touching it is just us and a backup office that the building owners will alow to touch anything sat related even the cable co cant step foot on the property with out us or the other office due to insurance issues required and deep background checks.

Even if you install locations is not strict a normal dtv tech could fix any issues as long is its not related to the fiber converters.

But any event im sure the job this guy asked about fell through as most customers want free.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts