Please reply by conversation.

kb2kir

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 18, 2007
Norwich, NY
Hi Folks,
Maybe someone can bounce a few ideas around this one:
www.nauf.org/000_0394.JPG This is what the dish sees.
The dish is on the pole that I cemented in place 2 weeks ago.
I took this photo standing inside the feed supports of the dish to obtain an accurate look. It is a General instrument commercial dish, 41x37 in. with an SNH-031 LNB aimed at G10r.
The tree line is 15 feet from the dish. I can receive the sat with the dish 50 ft behind the hole in the trees with the dish set against the side of my house sitting on the ground blocked with scrap lumber.
Quality is 69-91% depending on x-ponder.
When I mount the dish on the pole (5 1/2 feet high), I cannot receive G10r.:confused:

The tree line is 15 feet from the dish. I can receive the sat with the dish 50 ft behind the hole in the trees with the dish set against the side of my house sitting on the ground blocked with scrap lumber.
Quality is 69-91% depending on x-ponder.
When I mount the dish on the pole (5 1/2 feet high), I cannot receive G10r.:confused:

I would guess that G10R is actually up higher than you have marked and is in among the leaves (chainsaw or trimming time). Your 5 1/2 foot pole may be too high. I have a couple of 60e dishes that are mounted on the side of the house that are only 3 - 4 feet off the ground and if you looked at them you would not think they could get any signal shooting over the house next door (I did a hand-held test with the dishes before mounting).

If you can, I would suggest mounting the dish on some scrap lumber. You could either start back at the house, or halfway, and move it towards the pole, raising it up on a table, or whatever to make sure you still have line of sight. Alternatively, you can put the dish (mounted on the scrap lumber) on the ground by the pole, and then start to raise it up to see when the signal comes in and goes out.

Good luck!

Keith,
Your educated guess was dead-on. I took my digital angle finder and shot some elevation readings. In the pic you will see the branches close in the top of the pic. What you can't see above it is another opening in the branches (a perfect little window maybe 12 ft in diameter).
When lying on the ground next to the house where the dish is, 21.8 deg. is just in the center of that window. (Talk about DUMB luck!!).
When I moved the dish to the pole 21.8 deg. is looking right into the branches that frame in the top of the photo. Then I added 3 feet to it, compounding the problem. DUH, so much for SWAG.
This has taught me a lesson: NEVER assume, always double check everything.
I do this with the aircraft I fly because my A** is hanging from it.
It's a good thing the wife has a use for the pole to hold a bird feeder, so I won't have to get the tractor and pull it out . I picked up 2 bags of concrete an set another pole in the stone wall 15 feet closer to the tree line, this puts the dish IN THE CLEAR NO BRANCHES THIS TIME at 21.8deg.
Thank you for you insight !

Hey if it only had 2 bags of quickrete you can beat that out of that ground pretty easily with a sledge and a railroad bar. I moved one so many times it looked like I was testig landmines in the backyard lol.
I would send that pic in to Out There TV also, that looks like one of the ships the
grays fly around in out in Nevada!

That is good news, glad you got it figured out and were able to re-mount the dish with a good line of sight. Even when knowing that you have to add an extra 22 degrees for the off-set, the eye seems to see the angle as just above where the dish looks to be pointing. Obviously, it can cause problems, as you discovered!

If I had realised it, I could have mounted my first dish within easy reach (standing on the ground, instead of up on a ladder). The dish still looks to me like it is pointing directly towards the neighbour's house!

This has taught me a lesson: NEVER assume, always double check everything.

Sometimes, it pays to triple check everything! I certainly have learned that lesson, a few times!

UPDATE.
Th dish is mounted, receiving G10r. ( I hate waiting for concrete to set) I'm now getting 44 channels and with quality readings 69-90%!!!!
Bonus: The wife is happy she has a bird feeder pole.
AAAAAAHHHHHHH life is good.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)