DISH Logo comes up while viewing recorded program

smooth28la

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
i was transferring a long 7 hour program to my dvd recorder over night.

When I woke up this morning, and checked the dvd, the last few hours had nothing but the dreaded DISH Logo.

What happened?

Does the 622 receiver go into standby mode for inactivity even when watching a long pre-recorded dvr event?

Was it caused by the 3am receiver update in the middle of the playback of a dvr event?

Yes. if you dont touch the remote for 4 hours, it will goto "sleep".

bouncing dish logo, that said press slect to continue

Well.. the receiver also goes to sleep when i'm watching a pre-recorded show lasting more than 4 hours?? (in this case I was transferring a 7-hour recording into my dvd recorder)

Last edited:
Or else set it to a longer inactivity period before entering standby, the choices are 4, 6, 8 hrs, I believe (?)

garys said:
It could have been either one or both. If you knew the download was going to fire in the middle, you should set to fire before you started or after it was over. You should also have disabled the inactivity setting.

No. You should be able to set it to fire when you want it to fire and the friggen $700 unit ought to be smart enough to figure out that while it's playing something recorded, IT'S NOT "inactive" and that you probably Do NOT want to record the Dish Logo.

Geesh.

Edit: Sorry, meant to say playing something previously recorded to HDD.

Last edited:
"Does the 622 receiver go into standby mode for inactivity even when watching a long pre-recorded dvr event?"
"the friggen $700 unit ought to be smart enough to figure out that while it's recording, IT'S NOT "inactive"

But you were not recording. You were playing back. It would not have fired if you were recording. :up

Last edited:
That's DISH's great programers. When the nightly update time arrives even if you're watching a DVR event you get a popup asking if you want stop watching for the update. If you don't say NO it will then go into standby so it can update.
If they can have it delay the update for recording they should be able to delay for playback.

Just to clear up what I was trying to say.

If the receiver is just "left on" and there's no activity for "X" hours, then I can understand it going into an "inactivity" mode within the parameters set by the user. I can also understand it going ahead with the daily download in that same senerio.

What I don't understand is if the unit is playing from the HDD, why it would even consider invoking the sleep mode or asking about the download. That's just stupid. The default should be that if it's playing something from the HDD, don't go into standby and don't ask any stupid questions that might show up on a dvd or vhs tape.

Thanks for all the quick replies. I'm going home soon to check the dvd to see if there was anything that popped up before it went to the jumpy DISH logo.

waltinvt said:
...That's just stupid. The default should be that if it's playing something from the HDD, don't go into standby and don't ask any stupid questions that might show up on a dvd or vhs tape.
If it's not what you think it's stupid? lol

I think that it should be that if one hasn't touched one key in four hours of viewing that one either has one hell of a kidney capacity OR it's being recorded to a DVD - and if the 622 isn't smart enough to know which it is than it should assume it's neither and go into standby. Anything else would be stupid! lol:rolleyes:

ATTENTION 513:

The System Will now power down to check for important system upgrades.

Select NO or Cancel to continue viewing TV

So it is the 3am upgrade or simply 4 hours of inactivity?

waltinvt said:
No. You should be able to set it to fire when you want it to fire and the friggen $700 unit ought to be smart enough to figure out that while it's playing something recorded, IT'S NOT "inactive" and that you probably Do NOT want to record the Dish Logo.

Geesh.

Edit: Sorry, meant to say playing something previously recorded to HDD.

Only way I can understand will be through 2 way communication. How a recording device is going to tell receiver I am recording something. Dish dos not know that you are recording. Only way is to turn it off. I understand the point you want to make but I think still it will be a good reason to go in standby even while watching the recorded program as there are quite few people using this reciever and only watched DVR events.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)