DISH loses 4 more HD channels - 3 Return

I think in this case, I don't mind losing these 4 channels in particular and hopefully it does set an example when negotiating for other channels.

Eventually the entire channel listing is going to be ala-carte. The internet and consumer choice will force this. Sirius/XM is already doing something similar to this, letting customer choose the 40 or 50 channels they want for a lower rate, with a few being deemed "premium" that cost you an extra 1-2$ ea/month.

From the consumer choice standpoint, I would be willing to pay a premium for NFL Network and ESPN, but I wouldn't for TWC, MSNBC, LMN, APL, BIO, DISC, etc. I am sure others are on the other side of this.

I would much rather pay individually for the 10-15 channels I actually watch than pay for a package of 40-50 channels that only contains about 10 of the channels I really want (like SpeedHD & FXHD in TurboHD Silver!!?!?!?).

I really don't know, but I think it is possible this could produce higher margins for E* since they could charge a higher price per channel than they are getting in the package.

spec1alk said:
I really don't know, but I think it is possible this could produce higher margins for E* since they could charge a higher price per channel than they are getting in the package.
But that makes a completely incorrect assumption: Dish Network would pay the same rate for a channel in a basic package than one they would pay packaging a la carte. And I'm certain that if Dish Network is paying Disney $3 a month for each ESPN subscriber, that Disney would charge a much higher rate to Dish Network if ESPN is sold as a premium channel.

Heck, I remember when both Disney channel and the local RSN were both premium channels.

But that makes a completely incorrect assumption: Dish Network would pay the same rate for a channel in a basic package than one they would pay packaging a la carte. And I'm certain that if Dish Network is paying Disney $3 a month for each ESPN subscriber, that Disney would charge a much higher rate to Dish Network if ESPN is sold as a premium channel.

Heck, I remember when both Disney channel and the local RSN were both premium channels.
Once everbody has access to a 200 tetrabyte internet connection..there will be no need for dish network or cable

That's Dish Network for you. Today is Disney, tomorrow could National Geographic, the next day Epix, etc......:(
When are you guys going to wake up to the fact that it happens to every provider? Right now, Uverse faces losing their Rainbow channels, especially AMC...right before the season premier of Mad Men.

I think in this case, I don't mind losing these 4 channels in particular and hopefully it does set an example when negotiating for other channels.

Eventually the entire channel listing is going to be ala-carte. The internet and consumer choice will force this. Sirius/XM is already doing something similar to this, letting customer choose the 40 or 50 channels they want for a lower rate, with a few being deemed "premium" that cost you an extra 1-2$ ea/month.

From the consumer choice standpoint, I would be willing to pay a premium for NFL Network and ESPN, but I wouldn't for TWC, MSNBC, LMN, APL, BIO, DISC, etc. I am sure others are on the other side of this.

I would much rather pay individually for the 10-15 channels I actually watch than pay for a package of 40-50 channels that only contains about 10 of the channels I really want (like SpeedHD & FXHD in TurboHD Silver!!?!?!?).

The problem is that the providers have lower demand channels they want paid for as well as the higher demand channels. Thus Viacom bundles a higher demand channel like Nick with lower demand channels like VH1 and MTV. If you want Nick you have to take the others as well. All the major providers do bundling as far as I know. This is what hinders any move to ala carte. The content providers have the upper hand in this tug of war.

:rolleyes:
When are you guys going to wake up to the fact that it happens to every provider? Right now, Uverse faces losing their Rainbow channels, especially AMC...right before the season premier of Mad Men.

never!
Come on KAB, you know that things like this absolutely positively never happens to any other provider except for Dish! ;)

Let see, ah yes, Dish has a dispute with them too, no HD for Dish...

It is not that others do not have problems with programmers, it is that Dish always has more problems. Quick name a provider that has had more disputes than Dish? How about one that has had even 50% of the problems Dish has had? 10%?

Let see, ah yes, Dish has a dispute with them too, no HD for Dish...

It is not that others do not have problems with programmers, it is that Dish always has more problems. Quick name a provider that has had more disputes than Dish? How about one that has had even 50% of the problems Dish has had? 10%?

Yes but DISH has the lowest programming packs in the industry. How do you think that they got that low and kept that low price? Disputing the unreasonable increases by these different channel companies like Rainbow, Disney,etc. If you want all the channels and you don't mind paying more for them , then DIRECTV is you choice of sat provider. They ALMOST never lose a channel . I think Versus is the only one I can remember them jerking off the air in recent times. But you will pay at least 10.00 OR more per pack in comparison to DISH.

Yes but DISH has the lowest programming packs in the industry. How do you think that they got that low and kept that low price? Disputing the unreasonable increases by these different channel companies like Rainbow, Disney,etc. If you want all the channels and you don't mind paying more for them , then DIRECTV is you choice of sat provider. They ALMOST never lose a channel . I think Versus is the only one I can remember them jerking off the air in recent times. But you will pay at least 10.00 OR more per pack in comparison to DISH.

That used to be true, and still is if you are content with just one box from Dish. If you add multiple DVRs Dish is no longer the low price leader.

That used to be true, and still is if you are content with just one box from Dish. If you add multiple DVRs Dish is no longer the low price leader.
Then switch to D* and take it the you know what with upfront costs.

Then switch to D* and take it the you know what with upfront costs.

Just ran two hd TV with dvr on both web sites
dish upfront for second hd dvr 100.00 monthly fee 10.00
direct tv second dvr 99.00 monthly fee 5.00
how can you say there upfront cost are more ?

the way i understand it disney fliped when dish did the hd for life and wanted more $$$$$$ to keep them. i think disney is getting to gready for their own good

Since the lawsuit has been going on for years, I doubt the new free HD for life had anything to do with it. It is just a a PR ploy by Dish to claim free HD for life has anything to do with it.

The loss of these 4 channels did not bother me at all.
No kids at home anymore and HD for ESPN news is no loss either there was very little real HD on ESPN News anyway

In many cases Dish is more expensive than DirecTV, esp. if you have multiple DVRs. And yet DirecTV subs seldom have to put up with these constant battles and channel losses. DTV subs also don't have to deal with no YES Network, no MLB EI, or the Audit Police.

I'm seriously getting tired of Charlie's business methodology that frequently leaves consumers without their favorite channels.

ESPN is worthless

I'm on the other side. I wouldn't give you a wooden nickel for either ESPN or the NFL network. I don't watch sports. So the other channels are worth something to me but not the sports or even Disney's channels. So for those that watch it is a problem. But those of us that don't I'm glad that E* is fighting the gouging that Disney is trying to do to those that want the channels. E* didn't pull the channels Disney pulled the channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)