DISH Makes Expansive HBO Content Available On Demand for Home TV Viewers

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
LAS VEGAS, NV -- (MARKET WIRE) -- 01/09/12 -- (NASDAQ: DISH) -- DISH Network L.L.C. and Home Box Office, Inc., announced today an agreement that will give DISH customers expanded access to HBO's acclaimed programming. The agreement enables DISH customers with or without Internet, who subscribe to HBO and Cinemax, to watch expanded selections of HBO content instantly from the comfort of home.
DISH customers with Internet access and select DISH HD DVRs who subscribe to HBO or Cinemax will soon be able to enjoy an expanded version of HBO On Demand and Cinemax On Demand, giving them instant access to virtually every episode of every season of the best HBO shows -- most of which are available in high definition -- including "Luck®," "Game of Thrones®," "Boardwalk Empire®," "True Blood®," "Deadwood®," or "The Sopranos®," as well as popular Hollywood hit movies, documentaries, stand-up comedies, sporting events, and independent films.
In addition, a new feature called DISH Unplugged will make hundreds of HBO movies and TV shows available via satellite to the DISH DVR. Customers who subscribe to HBO will have instant access to HBO programming through their receiver in the highest video quality and with no buffering. These programs will be refreshed every day by satellite, providing HBO customers the most current selection of HBO programming. DISH Unplugged will be first available as a feature of the recently announced Hopper, a whole-home HD DVR entertainment system to launch in the first quarter of 2012.
"DISH is thrilled to be working with HBO to bring this broad collection of highly acclaimed programs to our customers for instant access at home," said Dave Shull, senior vice president of Programming, DISH. "Whether our customers are online or off the grid, we offer a solution to give them convenient access to the most popular programming."
"We are pleased to remain at the forefront of innovative delivery methods for providing our award-winning original series and movie selections to our devoted viewers," said Shelley Brindle, executive vice president, Domestic Network Distribution and Marketing, HBO.
DISH customers can also watch HBO's vast content through the recently updated DISH Remote Access app on Apple iPads, and online at www.dishonline.com, HBOGO.com or MAXGO.com.
DISH DVRs capable of accessing HBO and Cinemax content online include the ViP 612, ViP 622, ViP 722, ViP 722k and Hopper receivers connected to high-speed Internet service.
About DISH Network
DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), through its subsidiary DISH Network L.L.C., provides approximately 13.945 million satellite TV customers, as of Sept. 30, 2011, with the highest quality programming and technology with the most choices at the best value, including HD Free for Life. Subscribers enjoy the largest high definition line-up with more than 200 national HD channels, the most international channels, and award-winning HD and DVR technology. DISH Network's subsidiary, Blockbuster L.L.C., delivers family entertainment to millions of customers around the world. DISH Network Corporation is a Fortune 200 company. Visit www.dish.com.
HBO GO® and Max GO® are only accessible in the U.S. where a high speed broadband connection is available. Minimum connection of 3 Mbps required for HD viewing. Select titles not available in HD. HBO® and related channels and service marks are the property of Home Box Office, Inc.
Add to DiggBookmark with del.icio.usAdd to Newsvine
Press Contacts:
DISH:
Aaron Johnson
(720) 514-5351
Email Contact

HBO:
Laura Young
(212) 512-5948
Email Contact

Source: DISH Network

I completely agree on the interface but I welcome this from Dish. Rome was not built in one day.

Agreed.

However I find it strange that the flagship 922 does not get
the goodies that the step down models get?

Wheres Blockbuster Movies pass for 922? I thought we would have it by now?

Are they using the SAME Record all channels from a HBO only Transponder only record it late at night to get the Top HBO Movies recorded?

"a new feature called DISH Unplugged will make hundreds of HBO movies and TV shows available via satellite to the DISH DVR"

I completely agree on the interface but I welcome this from Dish. Rome was not built in one day.
Certainly, the expanded quantity of On Demand stuff via the 'Net is great news, but relative to Rome, the UI dates back to the Persian Empire.

I'm with the crowd on this one. Very good news and really is a benefit, but the horrible UI is still the horrible UI.......

I believe this is simply HBO-GO and allowing it on Dish Network subscribers without a special product: i.e Roku, Google TV, etc

I believe this is simply HBO-GO and allowing it on Dish Network subscribers without a special product: i.e Roku, Google TV, etc

This allows that programming without any other device, for some a big deal.

Agreed.

However I find it strange that the flagship 922 does not get
the goodies that the step down models get?

Wheres Blockbuster Movies pass for 922? I thought we would have it by now?

Isn't it obvious for all subs of DISH by now? The 922 is NO LONGER the cutting edge high tech receiver. It is nothing more than a souped up 722k with less features and has now been replaced by the HOPPER/JOEY receivers. So don't expect any thing else to make it to the 922. It will be stabilized by software and it "might" get Blockbuster movie pass ,but I don't expect much else. Once again DISH has moved on the newest latest high tech vaporware receivers. This is the same cycle I've seen several times over the last 15 years with DISH. Create demand with CES buzz about new receiver concept, release it late ,if at all, and charge a lot to upgrade to it, fail to deliver on all promised features, then Lather, rinse and repeat, and repeat and repeat......every couple of years.:deadhorse:

Isn't it obvious for all subs of DISH by now? The 922 is NO LONGER the cutting edge high tech receiver. It is nothing more than a souped up 722k with less features and has now been replaced by the HOPPER/JOEY receivers. So don't expect any thing else to make it to the 922. It will be stabilized by software and it "might" get Blockbuster movie pass ,but I don't expect much else. Once again DISH has moved on the newest latest high tech vaporware receivers. This is the same cycle I've seen several times over the last 15 years with DISH. Create demand with CES buzz about new receiver concept, release it late ,if at all, and charge a lot to upgrade to it, fail to deliver on all promised features, then Lather, rinse and repeat, and repeat and repeat......every couple of years.:deadhorse:

I guess its like computers. Every 2 years the latest greatest thing comes out.
Oh well, its just money right???

Great post Mike!

--- unbelievable, after getting my 922 to be updated with the latest technology from dish, now i discover that i have the worst receiver, even they can't bring features older ones are receiving! ---

--- unbelievable, after getting my 922 to be updated with the latest technology from dish, now i discover that i have the worst receiver, even they can't bring features older ones are receiving! ---
Honestly, Dish owes those that got the 922 something. It does seem quite unfair.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)