DISH Makes offer to buy Sprint (Rescinded)

IMO, the Dish strategy is quite a bit more risky. Especially with all that debt. Probably even more risky to existing Dish satellite customers since we would end up bailing out any missteps at Sprint to the tune of billions.

Considering what AT&T and Verizon have been doing to dump a lot of landline customers, I guess we shouldn't be all that surprised that Dish is going the same route to focus on wireless.

IMO, the Dish strategy is quite a bit more risky. Especially with all that debt. Probably even more risky to existing Dish satellite customers since we would end up bailing out any missteps at Sprint to the tune of billions.

Considering what AT&T and Verizon have been doing to dump a lot of landline customers, I guess we shouldn't be all that surprised that Dish is going the same route to focus on wireless.

Dish will be limited in what it can do to subs to gouge money as long as there is a competitor like Direct available to which to switch.

These two companies are perfect for each other. Spending a few years in both industries, there is a good reason why I prefer DirecTV and Verizon over the likes of Dish and Sprint. Up until the last couple years, Verizon was the clear cut industry leader. AT&T has stepped up its game quite a bit. Verizon has always been the company who was never trying to be the cutting edge, but simply to provide the best service possible w/out sacrificing its earnings. It has found its sweet spot and continues to be the steady horse in the race. On the contrary, Sprint has been the complete opposite. It spends most of its time trying to be the flashiest company and trying to maintain "whats hot". Their goal is to attract the most customers but has always failed at maintaining them for the long run, using such tactics of razing and rebuilding the company from the 'ground up' by deploying the infamous Sprint PCS campaign, to purchasing Nextel, to the first (true) 4g service using WiMax, to offering very low cost plans to offering unlimited data. All of these tactics have hurt them in the long run.
DirecTV is similar to Verizon in that their main focus is to provide good steady service to their customers. While DirecTV and Dish are not all that drastically different compared to Verizon and Sprint, DirecTV is not distracted with toys and gimmicks. Instead of using money on slingbox and Blockbuster and all of the other services that really do not have to do with the basics of TV, DirecTV concentrates on making sure they provide a wide variety of media content (sports) and makes sure there are no interruptions (contract disputes). DirecTV also has a steady product. If I have DirecTV and I go visit some else with DirecTV anywhere else in the country, I can very likely count on seeing the same dish(antenna), with the same configuration, same remote and very similar looking STB. Product familiarity goes a long ways. With Dish, there are so many different configurations that it even leaves its tech's shaking their heads.

Softbank went down 7%, Sprint shares rose 13% which gives a 20% difference plus the 20% according to the article that the yen dropped for a total of a 40% difference in cost working against softbank since their offer. Not sure how much the shares of both companies changed since that time to further make a difference in value since last year.

The Revolution is here! How many billions of dollars will Dish save from not being in the hardware business anymore? All of the hardware needed resides in smartphones already. Dish will not have to install dishes and receivers as well as wiring in the homes anymore. That money saved will go into buying more spectrum.
As far as the consumer goes, all they will see is a Dish App installed on their smart device. Miracast in 1080p and surround sound will be appearing everywhere in this upcoming smart phone cycle, as well as TV sets. TV sets in your home, hotels,hospitals etc. will be nothing more than mirrors that display your content from your smart device. Mexico is opening up their telecommunications market to outside investors! Carlos Slim (richest man in the world) is talking with Dish. Dish MUST purchase Sprint and they are lining up the money to do it. Company will be renamed after Sprint purchase( there will be no more Dishes in peoples yards, their namesake). This will happen! All of this from a "good ol boy" who used to install C band dishes with his wife from the back of a pickup. GO Charlie!

http://www.wired.com/business/2013/04/why-you-want-dish-to-buy-sprint/

dwarren2, what are you not seeing in the above post? You have to have vision! Charlie has BIG Visions! I have followed the demise of paid entertainment in the hotel industry for years. Lodgenet was taken out just a few weeks ago due to changing tech. Dish will disrupt the markets in a Bigger way than most imagine. First 28 minutes of Seinfeld most people just watch and wonder, the last 2 minutes will deliver the plot for you. Hang in there and see link below.
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_23031791/dish-aims-marry-tvs-and-smartphones-sprint-merger

dwarren2, what are you not seeing in the above post? You have to have vision! Charlie has BIG Visions! I have followed the demise of paid entertainment in the hotel industry for years. Lodgenet was taken out just a few weeks ago due to changing tech. Dish will disrupt the markets in a Bigger way than most imagine. First 28 minutes of Seinfeld most people just watch and wonder, the last 2 minutes will deliver the plot for you. Hang in there and see link below.
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_23031791/dish-aims-marry-tvs-and-smartphones-sprint-merger
Yeah. I heard that they are working on a receiver/smartphone/ancient psychic tandem war elephant, all in one. That will be legendary!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts