Dish messing with Voom, All are now HD-Lite 1280x1080i: Discuss this issue HERE!

Before everyone goes off the deep end. Heres a screen cap of UltraHD. The resolution is 1920x1080. I grabbed this off 61.5 where the voom 10 is currently in FTA mode..

UltraHD

The wierd thing is, its listed in the channel information as this:

MPEG Video: Bitrate 16.000 Mbps Resolution 1280 x 1080i
MPEG Video: Framerate 29.97 fps Aspect Ratio 16:9 Chroma Format 4:2:0

Right now I'm seeing an average of ~14Mbit/s.

EquatorHD is the same way:

EquatorHD

MPEG Video: Bitrate 16.000 Mbps Resolution 1280 x 1080i

Is the downconvert done before they send the frame? Meaning, they downrez to 1280 pixels, then send a 1080i frame. I'm not sure how to investigate the picture to determine the actual horizontal resolution.

The transponder at 61.5 carrying Ultra and Monsters has 9Mbit/s SPARE capacity. Both Ultra and Monsters are running just under 15Mbit/s. Seems like a waste of TP space to keep the bandwidth throttled on those two.

These channels are not 1920x1080i, they are 1280x1080i 100% guranteed on that, I have a program that screws up when feed 1280x1080i and displays weird because of the 1280x1080i resolution, all 10 Vooms do this now

yes they still display 1920x1080i(even though 1280x1080i is not a 16:9 rez), same as all HD-Lite from other providers and as they other 6 Voom on Dish always have for months

Yes they downconvert and stretch to then send a 16:9 hdtv image

This did not happen on 12/1

This happened sometime last night, I recorded some stuff yesterday from MonstersHD and it was still true 1920x1080i, I also viewed Equator yesterday evening and the switch had not happened by then either

I literally saw the switch happen while I was on the PC looking at some stuff, saw some posts about MonstersHD pixelizing and got a hunch to check things out, sure enough everything was 1280x1080i, God Equator and MonstersHD look downright putrid now

the Bitrates are drastically lowered and Equator looks so bad now

RIP MonstersHD and Equator, it was fun while it lasted

-Gary

Yea I see what you mean, I checked out the other voom and they are all the same now.

I wonder what the deal is. Its not lack of bandwidth. Who thinks Voom has another provider lined up and they are pressuring Voom not to transmit in true 1080i??? Maybe a cable Co, D*, or Fios?? Why would Dish have them lower the bandwidth when they do 1080i on all their other 1080i channels?

I don't get it either Hokie

I have been sitting here at this forum for days waiting for Voom stuff, the channels that were 1280x1080i went down the other night, I said yes this is the time all Voom go to true 1920x1080i, well a few days later exactly the opposite happened, they all went to sh*t :mad:

I had many talks with Dish quality, they assured me that eventually all Voom would be true 1920x1080i(this was back in August), I guess this is not the case unless this is just testing some stuff

We will sure keep a eye on things now won't we :D

You guys that have contacts at Dish need to get the message to them, people will be laughing at this quality of HDTV, just as folks laugh at Directv now

If Voom stays this way, I will be shaving 60$ a month from my Bill(720$ a year) becuase MonstersHD in true HDTV was one of the only reasons I have stayed with Dish, with the horrid treatment of HBO/Showtime HD at around 11 Mbps video, I am tired of this bull-sh*t

-Gary

Which would you rather your HD look like?

HDNet

Voom

No comparison!! Looks like we're gonna have some interesting talks at CES this year with Dish and Voom :D

Gary, I also noticed during a movie this morning HBOHD dropped to SD for awhile, then came back HD.. Not sure if that was Dish or HBO futzing around.

Boy if this isn't just testing some Hell is gonna be raised, this will be a fun next 30 days :D

Who does Dish think they are?? , Directv, they can't get by with this, we are loyal Dish subs for a reason, that reason is Directv offers this garbage HDTV and we wanted better

Yes I noticed that as well, it was during I Robot when I saw it, I would guess that was a HBO problem but you never know

Lindsay Clubine, Yummy :eek: :cool:

-Gary

Is there a reason Gallery would be listed 1920x1080i?

MPEG Video: Bitrate 16.000 Mbps Resolution 1920 x 1080i

Lol, hey if you gotta see a hdnet cap, might as well make it of compelling content, eh? :yes

Let me check GalleryHD and see what you mean

Hokie, whats your name dude??

I was wondering, Is everything the same on 129 and 61.5 concerning these changes tonight??

-Gary

Woohoo! Maybe someone snuck in and reprogrammed all their encoders as a joke ;).

With that, I am off to bed. Maybe they'll have some more fun for us in store tomorrow night :)

Now damnit, I am on the verge on cancelling my contract with DirecTV and get Dish for the Voom. I missed my Voom and very seriously considering paying to cancel my contract and have the Dish/Voom put in. Any suggestions at this time?

Last edited:
HokieEngineer,

All your pictures came with a resolution 1114x631, I don't see any difference.
Could you next time provide at least satellite position to your reports ?

Wait just a little while and see what gives with Voom, if they are not HD-Lite then poor it on it, you will be amazed at the difference of HD between Dish and Directv

-Gary

The title of this thread really had my blood boiling when I first read it - I woke up completely without a cup of coffee. Let's just hope E* and V* come to their collectively senses and don't follow down the path of HD-Lite blazed by D*.

The quality is clearly not up to par, I was watching a Soccer game this morning and it looked not clear at all. Please go back to the original resolution.

Just a update guys

Everything is still basically the same after the change

GalleryHD is 1920x1080i with 14 Mbps Video for some reason

check that channel out and see what you think

I have updated my bitrate chart for all these changes last night:

http://home.bigsandybb.com/gmurrell/bitrate.html

I only have access to Voom from 61.5 on my pc setup, if anyone could confirm that the Voom 10 are identical on 129 then that would be great ??

I'll I have to say is that this sucks if we are seeing the future of Voom

I also emailed Dish quality to complain

-Gary

I really haven't noticed anything in the picture quality with Voom at 129. They still look the same to me but if they are messing with the channels at 61.5, 129 is next. This really sucks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)