Dish messing with Voom, All are now HD-Lite 1280x1080i: Discuss this issue HERE!

Exactly. If they plan on increasing the PQ on Voom, why does it seem they're moving forward with their plan to have 3 1280 voom channels @ 15Mpbs on a TP, looks like they got it done...

-TP1-
Gallery
Rush
Majestic

-TP3-
Rave
Guy TV
HDN

-TP7-
Equator
Animania
Monsters

-TP9-
WorldSport
Treasure
Kung Fu

-TP15-
Ultra
Family
Gameplay

Last edited:
BFG said:
Exactly. If they plan on increasing the PQ on Voom, why does it seem they're moving forward with their plan to have 3 1280 voom channels @ 15Mpbs on a TP, looks like they got it done...

How much more evidence do we need for everyone to agree that this is a deliberate change that doesn't look to be going away?

Unless, of course, if the 5 new Voom channels actually are MPEG4 as charlie said. They you could have the Voom 10 at 1920x1080i at 17Mpbs or so and run the MPEG4 Vooms at 10Mpbs...

If that was the case, then we should expect them to shuffle it around so that there are 2 existing voom channels with 1 new mpeg4 voom channel on each TP

BrettTRay said:
jsb_hburg, lowering the bitrates

But, but... full HD needs at least 15 Mbps!!

I read that D* tried full HD for HDNet a few months back with less than adequate bitrate and it looked bad.

Are we waiting for a change in modulation from 8PSK Turbo to 8PSK Hemi to get full HD with a good bitrate?

BFG said:
If that was the case, then we should expect them to shuffle it around so that there are 2 existing voom channels with 1 new mpeg4 voom channel on each TP

I found a recap you posted http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=420764&postcount=22 that Charlie said E* would add at least five MPEG4 channels. This opens up the possibility of some of the Voom10 like Monsters going MPEG4 to drive adoption of the MPEG4 boxes.

I don't know what Dish engineers are smoking, its got to be good, whatever it is. GalleryHD for some reason is still 1080i. Who knows why that one channel gets the special treatment.

Everything else is 1280i mpeg2. CBS is still 720p. :(

jsb_hburg said:
But, but... full HD needs at least 15 Mbps!!
I read that D* tried full HD for HDNet a few months back with less than adequate bitrate and it looked bad.
Are we waiting for a change in modulation from 8PSK Turbo to 8PSK Hemi to get full HD with a good bitrate?

An 8PSK transponder makes available around 38Mbit/s for the VIDEO streams (the rest is used up with administrative stuff and audio). Do the math and with 3 channels per, you're gonna get around 11-13Mbit/s per channel.

They are testing four h.264 channels on one 8psk transponder at 148W. Resolution of those channels is 1440x1080.

HokieEngineer said:
An 8PSK transponder makes available around 38Mbit/s for the VIDEO streams (the rest is used up with administrative stuff and audio). Do the math and with 3 channels per, you're gonna get around 11-13Mbit/s per channel.
They are testing four h.264 channels on one 8psk transponder at 148W. Resolution of those channels is 1440x1080.

I guess they're going to try to sqeeze each city's HD LiL onto one TP.

How many movie channels are there??

5??

Kung Fu
Monsters HD
GuyTV
Majestic
Family ??

Dish can do 3 True HD per transponder with "decent"(not ideal) results when using movie channels(putting 2 HD video and 1 Movie per Tp.), movie channels with Telecine flags can have wonderful results with 12/13 Mbps bitrate

Showtime and HBO on 110 are averaging 11/12 Mbps and often much less

We need 2 True HD per transponder though

Hokie the GalleryHD channel is 1280x1080i HD-Lite, my eyes tell me this by viewing it, they left the header at 1920x1080i

-Gary

Last edited:
I was watching VOOM last night and the channels were all mixed up....Rave was HDN, GuyTV was Rush ect......plus all of them looked like a very badly scratched DVD breaking up every 5 seconds.

I am not impressed with what I am seeing, nor do any indications point to the fact that the VOOM channels will be increased to 1920 x 1080 anytime soon.

So far it looks like the emails we all got from Dish that they are working on it and that viewers will be happy seem to be bogus at this point.

With that said I am still giving them the benefit of the doubt as its not CES time yet. But if the problem is not addressed of fixed by CES then we can call them to the table on it.

It is a great world that we live in that I can be sitting in a room with Charlie Ergen and be able to check the resolution of the VOOM channels while sitting with him and the rest of the major press that covers the industry. :)

The ball is now all in Dish Networks court, let's see what they do.

I can safely say one thing unlike a few other sites if the problem is not fixed I am not going to just bend over and take it, you got my word on that one. Here at SatelliteGuys we work for the good of the consumers, not to kiss the ass of the satellite companies.

I still say someone should go to CES and just stand there to bitch slap Charlie whenever he says something that.......

A) You know is a complete and boldface lie

and....

B) Is just so balls off wrong that he needs to have his ass kicked for even trying to make the Consumer believe it

I would gladly take that position if it's open.......

"We will be the leaders in HD not HD-Lite I PROMISE by the end of January" *SMACK* *SMACK*

Makes my heart all warm and gooey inside just thinking about it : )

It could be a very happy New Year LOL!!!!

You know guys, I wonder if we can't do something that would send our message to Dish Network one more time?? For example, can we contact a news agency already, before CES and report to them what has already happened and bring this thing into the public forefront so more people see what we have been promised. That way if Dish Network comes through with the picture quality we have been promised, Dish looks good. If they don't come through, the egg is all over their faces.

We could even get a few copies of the emails that we sent and the responses to those emails and forward them to the media!!

I for one don't like to just sit back and watch those transponders fill up with 3 VOOMS each, if that is not going to be in our best interest!!

The problem with going to the media is nobody is dying from it......HD-Lite does not kill people and that's what most media people want, violence, rape and murder....

Does it cause cancer? Did you go insane and drown your children from lack of HD?? Or even worse is it an act of terrorism?

If the answer is no, and Lord I hope it is, At best this situation may make a Consumer Spotlight at your 11:00 channel 6 news but don't look for Matt and Katy to be reporting an issue with Dish's HD resolution they don't care.

Last edited:
I have already talked to one "Multichannel" publication about this and they are keeping an eye on things. I believe that if the channels launched at HD lite they would indeed write a story especially if the public outcry was great enough.

I have a list of email addresses ready to publish but again am giving them the chance to prove themselves to us.

The folks who are making the decissions must remember that THEY WORK FOR US. And I believe that by them giving their customers the best will pay off for them in the long run. WE ARE HELPING THEM IMPROVE THEIR SERVICE.

The real problem is the competition is also doing HD Lite!!! So there are really no alternatives to this bull crap

Some happening's on Voom(in bold)

GalleryHD has finally had it's mpeg2 header changed to 1280x1080i, I knew this channel was not 1920x1080i already(from my eyes), Dish forgot to change the header way back I guess, it now reads 1280x1080i

The Mpeg2 Headers for Voom have changed from 16 Mbps/18 Mbps on 61.5/129 to all showing 65 Mbps, this happened this morning

of course this means nothing, but they were changed ;)

GuyTV's bitrate is up ALOT, around 15.75 Mbps(compared to my Webpage listing of 11 Mbps)
Ultra is up around 15.75 Mbps also
Animania is lowered from around 14 Mbps to 10 Mbps
Rave is back down to around 10.50 Mbps

We could start to see some changes soon, unless Dish has set 1280x1080i/15 Mbps into happening

one wrinkle to that plan is that even 3 HD channels at 15 Mbps Video cannot fit on one 8PSK Tp., we have some Voom's at near 16 Mbps right now, so now that I think about, their plan does not seem to be working into place like everyone is saying

-Gary

Last edited:
Please dont blast me. But Ill say it again. Quit screwing around. Send a real message and drop the Voom Pak. Money is all these companies understand IMO. Then if the PQ goes up, subscribe to it.

juan said:
The real problem is the competition is also doing HD Lite!!! So there are really no alternatives to this bull crap
Agreed. They see D* getting away with it and are following suit. If you guys dont stop this here in its tracks all HD subs for D* and E* are doomed IMO.

President Of Dish Spoke The Truth

What is the cheapest alternative to get Voom

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)