Dish messing with Voom, All are now HD-Lite 1280x1080i: Discuss this issue HERE!

Scott Greczkowski said:
Just sent a note and within 45 seconds of sending it I got this back...

Same here Scott..very frustrating. I sent this message:

"I’m aware that the Voom HD channels are being down-converted to 1280x1080i. As a long-time subscriber to the HD pack and recently Voom, I’d like to explain why this is not acceptable.

High-Definition content should be exactly that—HIGH DEFINITION. As the customer, I am subscribing to HD programming and expect to get what I’m paying for--full resolution HD video, which is 1920x1080 and NOT 1280x1080i. I can see a difference in quality, and this down-conversion contradicts the statement that these channels are indeed High Definition.

I’ve heard the argument that you try to find a balance between adding content vs using bandwidth to maintain quality. For the average consumer with SD and 27” TVs, this kind of technical compromise is likely not too noticeable or not a great concern—they just want more channels. However, This is NOT a valid argument in the case of HD because, simply put, the basic and primary expectation is to receive High Definition video.

Look at it from the customer perspective. A typical SD customer would be enraged if you converted 80% of your channels to black-and-white just so you could save some bandwidth and add more programming, would they not? They will notice that change and it is unacceptable. HD customers expect HD video, not a down-converted compromise.

Yes, we want more content, but If Dish Network is not interested in prioritizing its bandwidth to correctly display HD content, then it should not ADD additional HD channels until the bandwidth is available to offer it CORRECTLY at full resolution to the consumer.

I do hope this message is being heard and understood. SD customers and HD customers are different and need to be treated as such. Otherwise, you will lose the HD viewers…and remember, there are more and more of ‘us’ every day.

Thank you for your time."

dfergie said:
I got the E-mail Reply Scott got Sunday, Got the first one SatinKzo today...

Man, I just replied to the second email saying that I notice no imporvment in PQ. The message came back undeliverable. I will try again later, but this does bode well.

Hey, one positive may come out of it, maybe you will be able to record more HD content on the DVR as it may be able to hold more content if it does not take up as much space.

SatinKzo said:
Man, I just replied to the second email saying that I notice no imporvment in PQ. The message came back undeliverable. I will try again later, but this does bode well.

12/6/2005 @ 11:45 AM CST on my 30" LCD Lair of the White Worm on right now on CH9481 looks much sharper much clearer than it did yesterday.
Can anyone else confirm an improvement ?

Last edited:
Stargazer said:
If they thought that then they would not have come out with the SuperDish as large as they are. I know that in my area the signal is just as bad on 129 as it is on 105. It is harder to get a line of sight at 129 than 105 since it points lower.
You're forgetting the difference between BSS (DBS) and FSS. FSS 2 degree spacing requires the larger dish for tighter focus, and more gain due to the weaker signal.

They make dshes as small as possible for WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor).

JH1949 said:
12/6/2005 @ 11:45 AM CST on my 30" LCD Lair of the White Worm on right now on CH9481 looks much sharper much clearer than it did yesterday.
Can anyone else confirm an improvement ?

I'm at work, so no confirmations on anything until later. Maybe Hokie or Gary can post some numbers if they get a chance.

Because we have three threads going on this similar subject, I have taken the suggestion from a couple members to only have one thread open, so please discuss the HD-Lite issue on Dish HERE!

LoL I guess that would make that thread the most recent.

That one has been reopened as the progress thread. The generally b**ching can still take place here ;)

Thank you for taking the time to comment on the quality of the Dish Network. We have received your email and will be looking into the concerns you have identified. Your comments are important to us. Through our own cutting edge technology and your feedback, we will continue to improve the already superior quality of our service.

This email address is primarily for service quality issues to aid the Quality Assurance Team in the continuing effort of providing our customers with the best possible picture and sound. While each comment is reviewed, due to the amount of email that is directed to our mailbox, we can not respond to each individually.

To better serve you, we also have the following electronic mail resources that can be utilized:
Customer Service, billing and programming issues can be addressed to feedback@echostar.com
Charlie Chat Questions or comments can be addressed to charliechat@echostar.com
Our World Wide Web site contains a large amount of information that may also assist you in getting your questions answered. Our web site is located on the internet at <http://www.dishnetwork.com/>.

Again, thank you for the feedback.

Sincerely,
Dish Network Quality Assurance Team
--------------

I am sure others get this immediate pat answer, but maybe if we blow into charlie's chat even 5,000 of us keep emailing they will get the point.

I have no idea if anyone has posted this or not. If so, I apologize for posting it again. This is the response I recieved from E* about the HD-Lite issue. It seems like a half-assed response...."generally".

Thank you for expressing your concerns and interest in DISH Network. Customer input is an important tool in our efforts to continuously improve the quality of the DISH Network service.

We have received numerous complaints on the VOOM HD package. We would like to thank you for pointing out this information. We have confirmed and are aware of picture quality issues on several of the VOOM channels. Our engineering staff is working towards a resolution. This may take some time to troubleshoot and finalize.

The issue of HD picture quality is always a difficult one. Some of our HD customers want more programming while others want better quality. In general, DISH Network provides HD content in whatever format we receive from the providers. You can rest assured that DISH Network is listening to you. We are constantly striving to provide you with the best A/V quality and variety of programming. With fast changing HD technology, we ask that you be patient. We will continue to make efforts to raise the bar for our customers.

At DISH Network we appreciate the time customers take to email their audio/video quality concerns. Thank you for your patience, information, and for being a valued customer!

EchoStar Satellite LLC

Quality Assurance Department

dishquality@echostar.com

I just got this one in my mailbox, it seemed to be the same email other have got, but they changed it a little to mention "Talk forums"

Dear Mr. Greczkowski:

Thank you for expressing your concerns and interest in DISH Network. Customer input is an important tool in our efforts to continuously improve the quality of the DISH Network service.

We have heard from you as well as many others off the talk forums the past few days as to everyone's recent dissatisfaction with the VOOM/HD channels. DISH is most certainly aware of your concerns and have meetings scheduled over the next few days to discuss this topic. This will not happen overnight. We ask for your patience while we attack this issue.

At DISH Network we appreciate the time customers take to email their audio/video quality concerns. Thank you for your patience and for being a valued customer.

EchoStar Satellite LLC
Quality Assurance Department
dishquality@echostar.com

:D :D

I just got the same thing Scott

We need to get Sean to urge Voom to put in a word with Dish also, I am sure they do not want their great HD channels treated in such a low manner

-Gary

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts