Dish messing with Voom, All are now HD-Lite 1280x1080i: Discuss this issue HERE!

This is what I have been thinking all along Technojunky. They probably want to offer as many HD channels as they can then later on increase the resolution.

Here is the response I received today:

Errett,

Thanks for the email. We are aware of the issue and are working as quickly as possible to correct the quality of the service.

Best,

xxxx

It came from an email address in this thread. I sent a short polite email expressing my disappointment in the changes made and how I felt that was totally against what HDTV stood for.

E

Wayne88 said:
Do all HD providers give out information on the "resolution' that they will be providing? If so how do I find out about what Comcast is using because I am not impressed with their HD quality. Does going down to 1280 just decrease the width of what is on the screen or does it decrease the resolution as well (pardon the ignorance)? Thanks!
Wayne

No one really gives it out.... we just read it.

Hook up a QAM tuner to your Comcast cable service and check it out with TSReader.

Voom and HD Lite

Just e-mailed Dishquality and CEO and got the generic response from DQ stating they are aware of the problem and after a few meetings, have come up with a solution that they are not allowed to discuss. We appreciate your feedback yadda yadda yadda... We shall see. Really hope FIOS rolls out alot sooner than later in my area unless Dish can get their act together!

Here is what I got back from dish today:

Thank you for expressing your concerns and interest in DISH Network.
Customer input is an important tool in our efforts to continuously
improve the quality of the DISH Network service.

We have confirmed the VOOM issue. We have had several meetings over
the
last few days and have figured out a solution. It is our policy not to
give out the technical information aspect of this, but rest assured we
will be working as fast as possible to resolve it. We thank you for
your continued patience and for pointing this situation out to us. Our
HD customers are valuable, and we hope you are pleased with the result!

At DISH Network we appreciate the time customers take to email their
audio/video quality concerns. Thank you for your patience, information,
and for being a valued customer.

EchoStar Satellite LLC

Quality Assurance Department

I have a little hope that they will resolve this issue. They have to think that they will lose valuable customers. They have to remember that we are the ones that are spending 100.00 plus a month on programming and we are the ones that are buying the expensive equipment (811,921,942,extra dishes, etc.,etc.,etc.) I know they will be losing a lot on this sub it they don't straightin' it out.

I received a slightly different message from the one sent to chevyN8, but stating essentially the same thing. It has a bit more detail and seems very positive about them enacting a change to improve the situation.

"Thank you for expressing your concerns and interest in DISH Network.

We have confirmed the VOOM issue. We have had meetings over the last
few days regarding this topic. Another one is scheduled tomorrow to
finalize our solution. The coordination involved in achieving these
changes may take awhile. It is our policy not to give out the technical
aspect of our operations, but rest assured we will be working as fast as
possible to resolve it. We thank you for your continued patience and
for pointing out this situation to us. Our HD customers are valuable,
and we hope you are pleased with the result! This is exactly the type of
information we are looking for, we will keep your email address and
might have you look again in the near future. Thank you for your help.

and for being a valued customer."

I got the same one that Tom got today. I liked the fact that they adressed it to me with my last name and also this statement: "Our HD customers are valuable, and we hope you are pleased with the result!". I hope they mean it.

The best that I see them doing is having a resolution between what they have now and what they used to have to try to save some space. They may try to enhance some stations and leave the rest in the lower format. Who knows what they will have up their sleeves.

"You can rest assured that DISH Network is listening to you. We are constantly striving to provide you with the best A/V quality and variety of programming. With fast changing HD technology, we ask that you be patient. We will continue to make efforts to raise the bar for our customers. We are going to make some adjustments tonight; could you kindly email us back tomorrow with some feedback?"

You can rest assured that DISH Network customers are frustrated and tired of the same old dog and pony show. We are constantly striving to receive what has been promised and what we in good faith have been paying for. Our patience has worn thin waiting for things like our 921's to work as promised. We have invested considerable sums in our equipment, job security for DISH Network employees and financial rewards for DISH Network stock holders. With fast changing market strategies and increased competition you have lowered the bar. I would like to propose that we the customers make some adjustments and pay only for the level of service and commitment that we are actually receiving instead of what we are promised...could you kindly email us back tomorrow with some feedback!

BTW if you were really listening, then why is it that you continue to shower new customers with attractive sign-up perks, while denying some of us old cash cows reasonable and realistic equipment upgrades?

Don't know for sure, but all the HD channels including Voom looked awful good this morning, just going by what my eyes are seeing. They are clear and sharp! Maybe things are back to true HD, can anyone check and see! :)

All these emails along with what I have received email wise is sounding pretty good, the comment about us being high paid subs is true, my bill is over 130$ a month, along with me spending 5,000$ on Dish equipment over the past 5 years or so

I for one would like to say that I would rather have these 10 Voom in true HD than the additional 11 added, if that is what it comes to then so be it

I would also like to say that if Dish listens to us and does the right thing, we owe a huge thank you to dish, I am going to put the word out everywhere how Dish offers TRUE HDTV and actually care about it, unlike Directv( I was doing this already but those 6 Voom HD-Lites were setting me back alittle ;))

I told Dish that last statement and they said thanks for the marketing info and that they did plan on advertising themself as a top notch HDTV provider in 2006

I will report back on any changes if any in a few minutes

-Gary

Drone35 said:
Don't know for sure, but all the HD channels including Voom looked awful good this morning, just going by what my eyes are seeing. They are clear and sharp! Maybe things are back to true HD, can anyone check and see! :)

Good right now: Ultra, Equator, Gallery (but they looked HD lite earlier tonight)

Not good right now: HDnet (Hack has looked much better last month)

Last edited:
Guys please
How many times do we have to say it, nothing was touched except 4 Voom HD channels

monsters/equator/ultra/animania
any other HD channel you see on Dish is the same as it was 6 months ago

HDNet is passed thru untouched from Dish, it has been since day one and still is, not even recompression and certainly no downrezzing

to update Voom:

Nothing has been touched at all, 61.5 or 129, everything is the same as after the switch last week

-Gary

JH1949 said:
Good right now: Ultra, Equator, Gallery (but they looked HD lite earlier tonight)
Not good right now: HDnet (Hack has looked much better last month)

Each of these channels have edge enhancement. For Ultra, the true test is looking at skin complexion. If you see detail such as texture, then it is a question of how much now versus same before the change.

I have a 50 inch DLP. I still do not see the same level of detail in skin complexion on Ultra as I saw prior to the change. It is not even close.

I would accept nothing less than 1920 x 1080. I would not give them any quarter as to any tweaking of 1280 x 1080.

Has Anyone seen this response yet???

Thank you for expressing your concerns and interest in DISH Network.

We have confirmed the VOOM issue. We have had several meetings over the
last few days and have figured out a solution. It is our policy not to
give out the technical information aspect of this, but rest assured we
will be working as fast as possible to resolve it. We thank you for
your continued patience and for pointing this situation out to us. Our
HD customers are valuable, and we hope you are pleased with the result!

and for being a valued customer.

EchoStar Satellite LLC

Quality Assurance Department

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)