Dish messing with Voom, All are now HD-Lite 1280x1080i: Discuss this issue HERE!

Reefer123 said:
Personally I think it would make no sense for E* to launch anything HD in MPEG4 other than the HD LILs. It make no business sense to make your customers feel as they have to PAY to get all your national HD programming.
Well, we are paying to receive nation HD programming...we'll just have to pay a premium for the pleasure of NOT receiving HD-Lite.:(

Thanks Spike for the update. Maybe this is not as huge a deal as I thought when first looking over this thread. It seems Dish just downgraded two channels, right? All of the others have always been 1280x1080i. I decided to tell the installer to go ahead.

The installer is here and is putting up a "Dish 1000" satellite. Before I had a "Dish 500".

I decided to go ahead with the installation, I mean there really isn't an alternative is there? We don't have Fiber Optic here and everyone says DirectTV is no good for HD. Maybe by this summer I will buy a new MPEG4. Anyway if you want I will post my impression of the comparison between signals on the 1920x1080 Sony. Happy holidays to everyone here, seems like a great forum.

Interesting, I asked the installer about this issue and he said he was not aware of the "HD-Lite" status of VOOM.

ceeveeb said:
It seems Dish just downgraded two channels, right?

Actually I believe it was 4 of the Voom channels downgraded. Unfortunately the bitrate has also been reduced, resulting in sometimes frequent pixelation, freezing and sound losses. They are apparently still sorting out how they are going to broadcast HD channels and things are pretty much in a state of disruption. We can only hope they correct the current status.

Gary Murrell said:
Yep, Ultra Monsters Animania and Equator all were top notch 1920x1080i/17 Mbps stuff and now they are trash that isn't fit for watching
-Gary

Very well said. It makes me think my Sammy HLN is a piece of trash the way it looks. Soft, lacks crispness. I have to turn to Discovery or the DISH demo channel to check back. I started to watch the demo channel all day. I think it is getting to me. My wife keeps asking how often I can watch an ant carry a leaf. I said as long as it is in true 1920X1080I.

DISH save me from myself.

Hi all.
I'm new to posting , but been reading this site since the beginning of 2005 and the VOOM soap opera.
Is there any NEW word at all from dish about the VOOM resolution being restored to 1920X1080I. Any inside info ?
I just signed up and paid for the VOOM programming. I've been watching it and it don't look like it did on VOOM when they were in business.
The picture quality on VOOM HD was amazing. Everyone that seen the VOOM HD channels were blown away.
Merry Christmas,
DAVE

lefty66 said:
Hi all.
I'm new to posting , but been reading this site since the beginning of 2005 and the VOOM soap opera.
Is there any NEW word at all from dish about the VOOM resolution being restored to 1920X1080I. Any inside info ?
I just signed up and paid for the VOOM programming. I've been watching it and it don't look like it did on VOOM when they were in business.
The picture quality on VOOM HD was amazing. Everyone that seen the VOOM HD channels were blown away.
Merry Christmas,
DAVE

:welcome Hello welcome to the best site on the NET!!:up Gary Murrell the starter of this thread has been monitoring the Voom channels and has reported no change as of yet. Gary has a link to visit and keep you up to date with all of Dish net's High Def programming. Gary's page is so well done. (THANK YOU Gary for your hard work.)

Just thought I would hop in on Christmas(which also happens to be my birthday :)) to give a update

No changes to the Voom channels as of this morning :(

I will be updating my page for all these recent changes in the next day or so

Merry Christmas to everyone

-Gary

Gary Murrell said:
And for the sake of those who haven't read all 65 pages of this thread... ;)
Whenever Gary says "No changes to the Voom channels" it means that all of these channels are still down-rezed to HD-Lite (1280x1080i).
Check Gary's page in his signature for details.

P.S. We all hope this is just a temporary development and we are anxiously waiting for official announcements at CES in two weeks from now. At which time we hope to find out whether Dish is still the HD leader, or whether it decided to become a permanent member of the HD-Lite Club founded by DirecTV. ;)

Happy Birthday, Gary! Merry Christmas everyone!
And Happy Hanukkah too!

Gary Murrell said:
Just thought I would hop in on Christmas(which also happens to be my birthday :)) to give a update

I will be updating my page for all these recent changes in the next day or so

Merry Christmas to everyone

-Gary

Gary -

Noticed the birthday this morning. Keep up the good work!:)

Glenn

BrettTRay said:
Happy Birthday Gary!!!! Mine is the 29th. I alway hated having my birthday so close to christmas when I was a kid.

Wife is the 17th... She feels the same. We try to make it special.

Hi Gary and Happy Birthday.
Just curious what are you using to read/measure/monitor the res and bitrates ?
BlackHitachi,
Thanks for the Welcome. It its a great site. Doesn't it figure, I finally got VOOM10 and the res is not what its suppose to be.
Does anyone on this site have any inside info if dish is going to keep the res at its current level or if they are going to reset it to the correct and previous value of 1920X1080I
MERRY CHRISTMAS to ALL !!
DAVE

MNSTER - Frankenstein Conquers the World - "The following film was mastered from 35mm film in 1081i presented in High Definition - Dolby Digital..."

Quote from the beginning of the program...

NOT!!!:mad:

Thanks guys for all the Happy's, I have many a story to tell about having my B-Day on Christmas, some good some bad :D

I use the fabulous R5000-HD modification for the Dish 6000 receiver, I record hundreds of HD movies from Dish onto D-VHS/DVD and Hard Drive, you can do the same, check out www.r5000-hd.com

-Gary

DFergie Thanks, if you have the capability I suggest a 150$ Mitsubishi HS-HD1100u, they are being clearanced right now from 400$ or so retail down to 150$ or less, recording is done on S-VHS tape, which can be had for 2$ or less on Ebay ;)

-Gary

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)