Dish messing with Voom, All are now HD-Lite 1280x1080i: Discuss this issue HERE!

problem is that leaving the current mpeg2 Voom at 1280x1080i is nothing more than pure bait and switch

when will the rest of the mpeg2 HD channels go to down-rezzing?? it's only time before all mpeg2 HD is downrezzed to save space(CBS already followed Voom)

so it's either suck HD-Lite mpeg2 or eat massive losses for now useless equipment and buying mpeg4

or it's either watch HD-Lite mpeg2 on that 600$ 942 or toss that 942 and pay more(I don't care if it is 1$) to get mpeg4 True HD

Charlie once again screws HD customers and makes tons of money from them, sorry but that is the only way I see it, 2 months ago it was "Don't worry mpeg4 is way off, the price vs gains is not there yet" "we are gonna do turbo 8PSK"

Dish only cares about signing up new customers

I am ashamed that I spent a month of my life watching these Voom HD channels for changes, hearing Bullsh!t from Dish reps and everything else

-Gary

BrettTRay said:
I think anything with the words "Charter" in it suck anyway. CATV quility differs from region to region. Around here Comcast is pretty good but I've talked to many Charter customers around here that hate it.

Depends on location like you say... My Charter HD's are uncompressed, and full res. OTA networks on charter here look as good as OTA reception, and the HDTier channels beat anything that D* or E* put out...

Gary Murrell said:
I am ashamed that I spent a month of my life watching these Voom HD channels for changes, hearing Bullsh!t from Dish reps and everything else
-Gary

Whoo Gary. I am not ashamed you spent a month doing that. You did a great service to all of us and caused DISH to take note that we do care about quality. You caught them with their pants down holding onto their d*ck. You did a great service for all of us and I for one apprecaite the time and energy you put in. I still think it will show some results.

Tom Bombadil said:
The only reason I can think of for why Dish would drop resolution to 1280 yet retain bitrates up around 15 mbs, is to give them the option of dropping the bitrates and squeezing in a 4th channel per transponder in the future.
Perhaps the changes are being made to make room for 5 more VOOM channels:
January 5, 2006 (Episode five): Satellite rival EchoStar today said it was adding five new Voom high-def channels, bringing its Voom total to 15. http://www.tvpredictions.com/episodefive010606.htm

Don't expect anything besides 1280x1080i from the new or old voom channels. According to dish thats the "industry standard" (referring to directv and comcast). I understand the dtv reference but was unaware that comcast delivers HD in 1280x1080.

As for locals, noone knew anything about cbs being switched around from 1080i to 720p to 1440x1080, so I doubt we'll see full res cbs or nbc on locals either.

So what the hell was the stuff about 'they are listening to us'

And 21 channels to 15 so we can keep the hi resolution?

Was that all just pulled out of Charlie's butt? To make us feel better until CES?

So Scott said there would be a on-line chat later tonight about DISH and resolution? Industry Standard..."My Ass."

this news is dissapointing. I just invested in a 1000 sat. :( Does anyone know if it is possible for the r-5000 to work with MPEG4 encoded streams? That would be better than a 622! So for instance pick up a 411 once prices have come down a little then get the mod done ;)

Why would anyone pay big $$$ for a new HD set that will receive 1920X1080 if it is not available. I had thought about an up-grade myself for the New VOOM, but not if it is not full HD. Plain stupid on DISH's part NOT to be a leader and go after the high end market as well!

HokieEngineer said:
Don't expect anything besides 1280x1080i from the new or old voom channels. According to dish thats the "industry standard" (referring to directv and comcast). I understand the dtv reference but was unaware that comcast delivers HD in 1280x1080.
As for locals, noone knew anything about cbs being switched around from 1080i to 720p to 1440x1080, so I doubt we'll see full res cbs or nbc on locals either.
When I had Comcast all the HD channels were in full resolution, and they looked great. I think it is Comcast policy to send HD signals through in the format they receive them.

Now if they were talking about the satellite TV industry standard, then they are probably correct, since D* cuts resolution, and E* is doing it with Voom. It is disingenous to claim something is the industry standard when they are setting that very standard with their own business practices. It would be more accurate to state that they are cutting resolution because the competition does also.

Comcast generally (read, VAST majority) passes through full res HD channels as they receive them. However there are pockets of service areas (newly acquired systems, etc.) that don't follow that corporate philosophy - that also prevents Comcast from making any waves with a national ad blitz touting their superior HD PQ.

one thing I have to add here, was there no mention by anyone to Dish or any questions asked about HD-Lite 1280x1080i ??

Are the current Voom 10 in mpeg2 going to remain with this sh*t picture quality ??

what about those NY/LA HD locals and their fubar'd picture quality and setup??

what a joke :mad:

I wouldn't be suprised if all mpeg2 HD go to 1280x1080i soon and they stuff 4 per Tp. and say that if you want True HDTV then go to mpeg4 and pay out your ass, then again the mpeg4's are prolly going to be HD-Lite also

I have said it all along, Directv got by with it, them and their lousy subs are the reason we have HD-Lite

the days of HD from satellite are numbered and if they want to destroy picture quality then they aren't helping matterts, I never would have said this, but my locallly owned cable company sent letters announcing HD offerings and if they are gonig to offer HD then things are moving along

-Gary

Last edited:
Gary...in another thread Scott said that DISH says that there will be no change even with MPEG4. HDLITE is the rule of the land. Has me really pissed. If they can't deliver full rez at 1080I why would anyone buy a 1080P set at thousands more to just watch HDLITE on DISH or DIRECT? Mark Cuban was right.

Gary Murrell said:
one thing I have to add here, was there no mention by anyone to Dish or any questions asked about HD-Lite 1280x1080i ??
Are the current Voom 10 in mpeg2 going to remain with this sh*t picture quality ??
I wouldn't be suprised if all mpeg2 HD go to 1280x1080i soon and they stuff 4 per Tp. and say that if you want True HDTV then go to mpeg4 and pay out your ass, then again the mpeg4's are prolly going to be HD-Lite also
I have said it all along, Directv got by with it, them and their lousy subs are the reason we have HD-Lite
the days of HD from satellite are numbered and if they want to destroy picture quality then they aren't helping matterts, I never would have said this, but my locallly owned cable company sent letters announcing HD offerings and if they are gonig to offer HD then things are moving along
-Gary

Gary,

Thanks for the resolution and bitrate info. It is not turning out the way me and my DLP and everyone else would have liked. I am glad I have Comcast and a 5U. The PQ on my local system is awesome.

Thankfully, Blu-ray is around the corner for movies in OAR and full HD.

jsb_hburg said:
Gary,

Thankfully, Blu-ray is around the corner for movies in OAR and full HD.
Ditto to that. At least you have a decent cable company. We don't in my area.

Gary Murrell said:
-Gary

GARY

SCOTT just posted this ....................

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=441681&postcount=32

God im so pissed off, after spending 2k on my DLP so i can finally watch the Heavely HD that ive heard about for a few years to only find out later on, that hey you wasted your money.

I really feel bad for those paying all that money for the 1080P TV's cause really you cant watch anything and hell i just heard that HD DVDs by Toshiba wont do 1080P.

Man i can just see this whole HD thing just blow up in Dish and Directv's face if Comcast or some company comes out with HD in full and lets the Dish companys have it.

Im done with Dish, cant stand there soft pic during Stargate SG1 tonight, just awful. I go back to regular tv and Adelphia cable and wait to see if HD ever really happens or if everyone will just have big screen tvs that have not so great pics.

Sorry just had to rant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)