Dish messing with Voom, All are now HD-Lite 1280x1080i: Discuss this issue HERE!

Gary Murrell said:
on a separate note
Kung Fu looks like total mushy sh*t, it's bitrate currently is downright nasty(10 Mbps video), along with the 1280x1080i
-Gary

Gary you took the words right out of my mouth!

Gary Murrell said:
on a separate note
Kung Fu looks like total mushy sh*t, it's bitrate currently is downright nasty(10 Mbps video), along with the 1280x1080i
-Gary

I've got a bad feeling about this.

Gary Murrell said:
there are 2 options, they either reduced the Voom to increase quality, or they reduced to use space for mpeg4 HD locals, option 2 doesn't make much sense at all, reduce 5 channels, how many Mpeg4 locals will that hold ??, 2 mpeg4 Cities max
George your Directv homerism is showing itself, Dish had all 21 Voom's even too the point of the uplink placeholders being up there, they switched all Voom to 1280x1080i
we complained like hell and then we up and get a announcement that Voom was to be reduced 15 channels
coincidence ?? who knows ??, Charlie did say for quality reasons
we will know in a day or 2
-Gary

Non-live uplinks don't mean anything. There are several channels that have been seen in testing mode that never made it to customers. You believe your complaining about picture quality was effective, but your next post noting the abysmal pq and bitrate of Kung Fu HD isn't favorable evidence of that position. Dish Network is by most standards the DBS HD leader of today, but my argument is that they're sacrificing that position to so they can be somewhat comprable with the DirecTV of 2007 until their own next generation satellites are ready.

GeorgeLV said:
Dish Network is by most standards the DBS HD leader of today, but my argument is that they're sacrificing that position to so they can be somewhat comprable with the DirecTV of 2007 until their own next generation satellites are ready.

I'm hoping they can be the baddest HD provider today. Every press release states DISH will be be the the HD leader. Their website states the same also. VOOM also has a stake in this also.

GeorgeLV said:
Non-live uplinks don't mean anything. There are several channels that have been seen in testing mode that never made it to customers. You believe your complaining about picture quality was effective, but your next post noting the abysmal pq and bitrate of Kung Fu HD isn't favorable evidence of that position. Dish Network is by most standards the DBS HD leader of today, but my argument is that they're sacrificing that position to so they can be somewhat comprable with the DirecTV of 2007 until their own next generation satellites are ready.

Thank you George I now have respect for you, as will many others ;) , you may very well be right, if so Dish is gonna have a battle on their hands ;)

-Gary

BTW, I think it's amazing DirecTV managed to trap Dish into using their bandwidth advantage up in HD-LiL when the main reason D* entered that market was that it was the only useful thing their failed internet satellites could do.

GeorgeLV said:
Um, perhaps the reason they reduced it to 15 is to do HD LiL. Sometimes people can believe they influenced corporate decision making to a greater extent than they actually did.

Not HD LiLs but probably the 3 remaining HD DNS in MPEG2.

Hey walt any info on any new oTA HD for us? Also check out my post about DTV updated DNHD qualification they finally have it right. sorta. Still says i can get CBS grade B LOL we know thats not true. I have really been thinking about throwing up a pole and a 60 element antenna with a rotor and seeing what I can get but im just so chicken aobut spending money and getting nothing. The antenna is like 100 bucks then a rotor is about another 100 and then I found a nice channel master amp on ebay for 45 bucks. What do you think?

I tuned to The Nutty Professor (1963 Jerry Lewis version) last night and it looked like crap. I've seen this movie on one of the Cinema10 channels in the distant past and the difference was night and day. El Stinko VOOMo!

jmcgee_jr said:
Hey walt any info on any new oTA HD for us? Also check out my post about DTV updated DNHD qualification they finally have it right. sorta. Still says i can get CBS grade B LOL we know thats not true. I have really been thinking about throwing up a pole and a 60 element antenna with a rotor and seeing what I can get but im just so chicken aobut spending money and getting nothing. The antenna is like 100 bucks then a rotor is about another 100 and then I found a nice channel master amp on ebay for 45 bucks. What do you think?

No new OTA info that I'm aware of. I hear you on the antenna, I spent over $500 before I was done and got very little to show for it.

I wish "E" would get a working HD DNS qualification system up on their site so we can see where we stand if the put the 3 other networks up.

You might want to check the "PUB" area out.

Hey guys. New to forum. Been reading for a while though. A couple of nights ago I actually had an advanced tech guy from dish telling me that the VOOM channels were never being broadcast in true HD, that the signal was being upconverted by Dish. I couldn't get him to tell me what VOOM's native resolution is or anything, and he insists that there is no 'downrezzing' going on. When I mentioned how crappy they've been looking for the most part, he said, "I don't have any idea what could be causing that...." He kept saying "they", as if Dish doesn't have anything to do with how the VOOM channels are broadcasted. So is this guy full of crap or what??(Seriously, cause I'm not even sure anymore).

David

I know its a long thread, but it has been acknowledged several times within this thread that VOOM's old broadcast resolution was 1440x1080. But then Dish up'ed this to 1920x1080 on 4 of the carryed over VOOM channels, while lowering it to 1280x1080 on the other 6. Then in early Dec, Dish dropped all of them to 1280x1080 and there they remain to this day.

Daveboy26.... you asked and Tom reminded you. What more did you want? No reason to be sarcastic. If you don't want the anwer then don't ask.

Maybe he was just kindly suggesting that I do a search before I post, then? Wait, let me read it again.......he did tell me what I wanted to know after the mild critisizm, so I take back my sarcasm. Thanks for reminding me Tom.:up

David
Who am I?(apparently the guy who let my bad day seep onto the forums):)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts