Status
Please reply by conversation.

Shawn95GT

Tivo fanatic
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
If you happened to catch my 'need the idiot's guide to FTA' post I mentioned possibly using a recycled primestar dish / Ku LNB to start playing with FTA.

After poking around the yard doing the DIY site survey I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I'm kind of screwed when it comes to dish placement. I have two options:

1. Replace the Voom dish with a 30" or so Winegard - hopefully on the same upright 'pole' from where the Voom dish was. The Voom dish was placed on the 'pole' from an existing Dish500 dish that was on my house when I bought it. Is there any chance at all of this working? If I put a 30" dish up 30' in the air off my eave it will have the motor while I'm up there :). The Voom installer did mention that the existing mount was VERY solid. It's a standard universal mount attached to my eave but the E* installer also re-enforced the eve with a thick aluminum plate.

2. Put either a new dish or the Primestar in the front yard. This is not going to make the wife happy.

Is there a chance at all that #1 is doable (will it even fit)?

I'll post some pics of the Voom dish pointed to 61.5 later tonight.

Shawn

yes it will fit. I use a Dish500 mast for the 30" Winegard I have

The only thing might be the length of the pole when using the motor. Mine is on the backside of the house, so with the motor hanging down and the dish, it was hitting the roof. We needed a longer mast.

That is good news. the house faces south and the Dish is on the East side eave towards the front of the house. Hitting the house should only be a problem with the western sats. Maybe the pole with the Winegard will help. If not I can probably add some length via a friendly welding shop :).

Shawn

The Winegard dish mount should work...it is longer due to the dish size....
The one I had would work, but when I had my true south it would rest on the mast..I had a 38 elevation so if it was lower it wouldn't have worked

My TS (I'm at 112.1) Sat would be Anik F2 @ 111.1°W or my choice of sats at 110.

I haven't found a calculator for Anik F2 but for 110 I'm looking at 51° elevation which should work out nice.

Do you just pick the closest one for your TS sat? I'm in Phoenix, AZ 85027.

Shawn

Shawn95GT said:
The Voom installer did mention that the existing mount was VERY solid.

I do not know abouta 76 cm Winegard - but here is a quote from the 100 cm Winegard (one meter) manual:

"To insure maximum safety, it is recommended that no roof or wall installation be attempted without a professional
engineer’s structural analysis. Local zoning and/or building codes and insurance companies may require
architect or structural engineer approval prior to installation. It is the purchaser’s responsibility to verify that the
above steps are taken."

So you may want to be sure your mount is REALLY solid :cool:

Michael

finally found the pic:

Dish500.jpg

this is my OTA antenna + the Dish 500 dish before it was replaced with the Voom dish.

I want to squeek a Winegard 30" + motor on that pole :).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)