Dish Moves Then Stops

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Do you have the drain wire grounded at the dish or the ASC1? Both?
Only needs to be grounded at one end.
May be time to install a capacitor, if the motor is getting up in age.

Reactions: JFOK
Do you have the drain wire grounded at the dish or the ASC1? Both?
Only needs to be grounded at one end.
May be time to install a capacitor, if the motor is getting up in age.

Michael,

The drain wire is grounded at the Venture actuator only.

John

Hi All,

I'm thinking that it just may be better to bite the bullet and buy a new actuator.
With all the endless possibilities for a fix with this aging actuator, I just want to finish with this set up and eliminate any further possible problems cropping up with this 16 year old actuator. I can't picture myself doing yet another repair this winter in the cold.
I will most likely go with another Venture actuator.

John

Reactions: KE4EST
The 24" ball-screw Venture is the best going, and will likely NEVER wear out in your lifetime. That being said, you pay a bit more for that as they run about $250.00. I have one, it's 20 years old and still going strong. Dead accurate every single time, and so quiet it can't be heard.

primestar31,

I was thinking more along the lines of another Venture 18. Mine was good to me for 16 years.
$250 is a little steep for me, even though the quality is there.

John

primestar31,

I was thinking more along the lines of another Venture 18. Mine was good to me for 16 years.

John
The Venture 18 is the only one not built by Venture today. Not that same quality :(

primestar31,

John

Don't buy the Venture 18", it's a Chinese clone that they import. If you need a cheaper one, just get the Venture 24" Maxie acme screw actuator. It's a good one.

You'll thank us when your actuator doesn't break it half, and possibly ruin your dish. That's what can happen with cheap Chinese actuators. They have their place, but you really need to have luck, and watch them all the time.

Don't buy the Venture 18", it's a Chinese clone that they import. If you need a cheaper one, just get the Venture 24" Maxie acme screw actuator. It's a good one.

Hi primestar and Magic Static

I thought I had read that somewhere, but wasn't sure. Thanks for confirming that.
So...who sells the Venture 24" Maxie at the best price possible ?
Thanks in advance.

John

primestar31,

Just purchased the Venture 24" Maxie acme screw actuator, from Rick Caylor. I wasn't looking to spend more money at this point, but felt this was the only way to prevent future issues with my old Venture actuator.
I shopped around and found that Rick's price, plus shipping was the best. I didn't know that Venture might offer a cheaper direct price, but honestly I'd rather give my business to the small business owner who helps keep this hobby alive. Even if that means I have to get used to the taste of dog food for a while. ;)
Thanks once again to all, for your helpful input.

John

Reactions: FTA4PA
primestar31,

Just purchased the Venture 24" Maxie acme screw actuator, from Rick Caylor. I wasn't looking to spend more money at this point, but felt this was the only way to prevent future issues with my old Venture actuator.
I shopped around and found that Rick's price, plus shipping was the best. I didn't know that Venture might offer a cheaper direct price, but honestly I'd rather give my business to the small business owner who helps keep this hobby alive. Even if that means I have to get used to the taste of dog food for a while. ;)
Thanks once again to all, for your helpful input.

John

You won't be sorry. Amortized price over at least 20 years minimum life, that's quite a deal...

As for the dog food, I hear it tastes great with the right crackers! lol

Reactions: FTA4PA and JFOK
You won't be sorry. Amortized price over at least 20 years minimum life, that's quite a deal...
As for the dog food, I hear it tastes great with the right crackers! lol

primestar31,

Lets see...if it lasts a minimum of 20 years, I'll be 80. Who knows what the satellite hobby will be like then ? Hope I'm around to find out.;)
As for the dog food...if I wash it down real fast with a cold beer, I just might be able to tolerate it.

John

Reactions: KE4EST and FTA4PA
Hi All,

Well my new Venture 24" Maxie acme screw actuator arrived yesterday afternoon from Rick Caylor. This weekend if its not raining or too hot (been in the mid to upper 80's here this past week with dew points between 67-72) I will install it and hopefully that will be the last of my issues. I'm sure my equipment isn't enjoying being constantly connected and disconnected outside, as I work on the dish.
I assume my viewing range will extend a little farther east to 55W with this new longer arm. Not sure how far west I can see as I didn't complete my westward trek due to the faulty Venture actuator.

John

Reactions: FTA4PA and Titanium
The Venture 24" Maxi is fantastic. The 18" is cheap Chinese junk. Rick was super helpful in my transactions with Venture. Good choices!

pacificrim,

Several forum members said the same as you...that the Venture 24 Maxi was a good product.
I wonder why Venture would risk its good reputation farming out the Venture 18 actuator work overseas ?
Is the savings in money, really worth the risk ?
Any way...anxious to get it installed, but have to wait until Hades freezes over...or at least cools down to around 80 with lower humidity. ;)

John

Reactions: FTA4PA
pacificrim,

Several forum members said the same as you...that the Venture 24 Maxi was a good product.
I wonder why Venture would risk its good reputation farming out the Venture 18 actuator work overseas ?
Is the savings in money, really worth the risk ?
Any way...anxious to get it installed, but have to wait until Hades freezes over...or at least cools down to around 80 with lower humidity. ;)

John
I had 2 new Venture 18" actuators go bad within weeks and then Venture generously sent me a 24" Maxi. The first 1 was a broken brush in the motor the second was intermittent. I was advised by these guys here to get the 24" Maxi but got the 18" anyway and pretty quickly found out why. Venture is a great company, they should not sell the Chinese junk.

Reactions: Titanium
I've got a similar problem BUT in some ways different. AN old Toshiba TRX 1800 will move the dish fine BUT sometimes loses "count". Will move dish in 2 degree inclements east or west then give :"motor error". Radio remote is dead and there's not an "Enter" button on my universal remote although I can do 3 out of 4 functions in the menu...

BOTH EchoStar 400 and 922 are STUCK at 500 in their east-west limits menu ONLY allowing me a 1 degree shift either way. Master reset didn't help on 922,,,Checked wiring...Everything looks fine..I have fully working remotes for these two.

Maybe the Toshiba is more fault tolerant...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts