Dish Needs To Be Better To Keep Voomers!

kirkdj

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 15, 2004
I was lucky and signed up with the free offers Dish has now, but with NO contract commitment. From what I see now, Dish has a long way to go before they compete with HD that Voom had. Channels like in this list http://www.digitalinsurrection.com/voomchannels.php
A few of them Dish does have, and true the 10 HD channels from Voom will be a start, but they should have included those channels in their current lineup or HD pack......those channels were nice with Voom.....but they weren't anything to be paying extra for ($5 mo. + $100 dish)....other than their high quality HD, which is something any quality sat. service should offer FREE. They will need to do a lot more to keep all the VOOMERS in the long haul to HD heaven!

I will always be looking for a better HD deal, and if Dish keeps nickel and diming me to death for everything HD I will not forget it when that better deal comes along!

I bet your nickel-and-dimed-to-death bill is still cheaper than the voom bill, just a hunch, but they are providing less :(

OoTLink said:
I bet your nickel-and-dimed-to-death bill is still cheaper than the voom bill, just a hunch, but they are providing less :(

VaVaVoom $79.90: All HBO, SHOW, TMC, Cinemax, Starz, Encore with their HDs, of course all V21, a total 39-41 HDs, plus about 120+ of the better "cable" favorites, two boxes, helpful friendly straight talking CSRs. Playboy HD was an extra 14.99 a month or pro-rated for the days viewed.

So with the $100 free install and $15 for the mere 15 HDs, Dish is definitely no bargain. It's just the only game we got to keep our Voom fix. Maybe we'll all soon learn there's a BIG difference between V21 and Voom DBS.

Once Dish has more capacity they'll broadcast all of Voom's 21 HD channels. Time.. it takes time to convert the channels from Voom standards to Dish standards.. as well as get the FCC on board through all these changes.

Most agree this is a big step for a company that looked to be treading water for the last 12-18 months in the HD arena. Give them some time.

After 18 months where they added only TNT HD, we get 10 in one day. I'll be patient for the rest if they are promised by January.

BTW, what are the channels that are missing from the 21 V* originals? I know Gunslinger and Kung Fu (I'm excited about the latter, indifferent to the former)... I don't know about the rest....

I'm not too happy either to have switched from Voom over to DISH and find that the Voom channels are only offered by getting a second dish and some extra cash. However, I do agree with being a little patient. I'm sure it's not easy switching everything over. My advice to anybody wanting to pay extra is to really check into the channels. For me personally, it's not worth extra money. I watched WorldSport nonstop, and everything else was very seldom watched. They rarely changed the movies on the other channels. Also, I'm still feeling a bit vulnerable after Voom going dark.

socalpanman said:
VaVaVoom $79.90: All HBO, SHOW, TMC, Cinemax, Starz, Encore with their HDs, of course all V21, a total 39-41 HDs, plus about 120+ of the better "cable" favorites, two boxes, helpful friendly straight talking CSRs. Playboy HD was an extra 14.99 a month or pro-rated for the days viewed.

So with the $100 free install and $15 for the mere 15 HDs, Dish is definitely no bargain. It's just the only game we got to keep our Voom fix. Maybe we'll all soon learn there's a BIG difference between V21 and Voom DBS.

The problem was giving you folks those deals and coming home with deep pockets and short arms at days end. May have had something to do with Voom's DBS provider days gone bye, bye.

kirkdj said:
I was lucky and signed up with the free offers Dish has now, but with NO contract commitment. From what I see now, Dish has a long way to go before they compete with HD that Voom had. Channels like in this list http://www.digitalinsurrection.com/voomchannels.php
A few of them Dish does have, and true the 10 HD channels from Voom will be a start, but they should have included those channels in their current lineup or HD pack......those channels were nice with Voom.....but they weren't anything to be paying extra for ($5 mo. + $100 dish)....other than their high quality HD, which is something any quality sat. service should offer FREE. They will need to do a lot more to keep all the VOOMERS in the long haul to HD heaven!

I will always be looking for a better HD deal, and if Dish keeps nickel and diming me to death for everything HD I will not forget it when that better deal comes along!

The deal that E* sent me as a VOOM switch over says that there is a 1 year contract,how did you get around that,or was it another prmotion that you signed up for.We had VOOM only for 3 1/2 months and I had a feeling that there would be no early termanation because as we all saw they termanated.We are still D* customers and have been for 8 years or so and saw no reason to switch.I am still concerned though,I read tons of posts about equipment with E* and in the 8 years with D* we have rarely had a problem.I fear that getting into a contract with E* could be problematic and would only try the HD-VOOM pak if I knew that I could get out at anytime without paying if it not up to par or there are equipment problems

At least you can STILL get some of your old V* programming. And V* never did come out with a DVR. Just can't please some of you guys...............Not to mention some of you guys are saving $$ now since you aren't paying for 2 services.

Yes, just because you purchased a HDTV and because you want HDTV Charlie is now the HD Fairy and show give you all the HD you want for FREE.

Come on get real.

$5 for the VOOM Channels is a steal!

Sorry, folks. The 10 Voom channels are worth it to me and the PQ is just super!

For my money, Charlie & Co. can add more channels any old time - and sooner is better!!

In general, Dish is the best deal out there, IMHO.

I DO wish they would let us lease the 942 however. Scott hasn't posted anything about this, so I assume there was no news from yesterday's Retailer Chat.

da Doug

I went to VOOM last October (after my 1 year commitment with E* was up). As a result, when VOOM died, I had to commit for 2 years with E* in order to get the new equipment for free. They also wanted $500 for the top HD DVR (forget which model it was).

I guess I figured at this point, it doesn't look like i'm going anywhere. However, don't know if I can afford to pony up $100 bucks for a dish when I have a VOOM dish pointed to the same location. Plus, upping the price to $14.95 in 6 months, for 10 channels, is a bit steep.

I had regular VOOM service and Dish 120 before VOOM shut down.

I was paying $62/month for VOOM ($49 + $10 + tax).

Now I'm paying $71/month for Dish, including their HD Pak and VOOM10, but I also get SD locals and SD distant locals that I did not get with VOOM as the OTA did not work for me due to my location.

So, I'm reasonably happy -- I certainly do not feel ripped off.

No question, for HD content, VOOM was the cat's meow (and a bargain).

I understand that the content providers are going through a huge transition period over the next 12 to 18 months. This means there are no perfect HD solutions out there right now.

I figure that Dish will have all their satellites and content totally reconfigured by next spring (this time next year) and all the MPEG4 receivers and MPEG4 HD-DVR units will be out and plentiful. At that time I'll again re-evaluate my options.

But, for now, I've got my VOOM back and I've got great SD PQ from the Dish 120 and locals -- life is bliss once again.

Dish seems to have gotten its head out of the SD sand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)