Dish Net E mail that RV waivers will be Okay!!!

I had sent the email to the CEO address and the response was from

"Frank Barcia Executive Communications/CEO Dish Network"

so hoping that is an indication that it is from a knowledgable level of CSR.

Again assume nothing and call congress is still my plan. The law needs to be updated and rewritten for everyones peace of mind.
My reading of the Judge's decision (text over at DBS Talk) is that neither the method of qualification, nor the method of reception of the channels matters, any channels outside the DMA of the subscriber are forbidden to be provided by EchoStar.

In contrast, the "Proposed Settlement" between EchoStar and all the channels except Fox, included a provision to continue the RV Waivers.
Since that Settlement was negotiated, the comment "we fought for it" could logically apply to that agreement (which was not approved by the Judge and so was never implemented) - but the comment could not apply to the Judge's decision - which did not have any exceptions at all.

I am thinking that the RV Waivers may not even apply - will be interesting to see what happens on Dec. 1st. The fact the D* is still allowed to deliver these signals to RV Waiver holders gives E* some bargaining strength.

According to law, EchoStar--and DirecTV--are permitted to deliver so-called "distant" network signals only to homes that cannot receive a sufficiently clear signal from their local affiliate of that network. But EchoStar’s method of determining which customers were eligible for the distant signals has been a bone of contention-- and litigation-- for years.

Broadcasters complained that EchoStar abuses the rules and violates the Satellite Home Viewer Act by regularly delivering out of market stations in competition to local stations in the market that carry the same network programming. The courts agreed, and EchoStar was ordered to stop delivering the signals to all of its customers, not just those disputed ones.

From an NAB announcement yesterday.... http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6389682.html

Have any RV users been cut off so far?

Well, in order to perpetuate or dispell the claiim that RV waivers are exempt, let me raise the question, have any RV users had their networks shut off? I can tell you that I am one, and haven't lost them so far.

I spoke with a CSR who did not specifically deny that we'd be exempt, only giving the usual spiel that all distant subscribers are to be shut off.

I could also say that Dish Network may be incorrect. Sure, they can interpret that the RV/Trucker waivers will be valid, but I truly doubt it.

Well lets keep our fingers crossed and hope that Dish Network is correct Greg.
After all, we do want to see our members and others that are not members keep their paid subscriptions going, don't we?

Clancy said:
Well lets keep our fingers crossed and hope that Dish Network is correct Greg.
Hope springs eternal.
Clancy said:
After all, we do want to see our members and others that are not members keep their paid subscriptions going, don't we?
Sure, but it is the realist in me that just wants to point out a permanent injunction against 17 USC 119 for ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC shuts down the RV and trucker waivers.

Just want people prepared, not hoping.

Okay that's it! I'm sending in an RV waiver on our mercury mystique!

Technically, driving it IS recreation. Hehe. We should have a joke contest to see who can get the most ridiculous "RV" waived, like say, a Yugo - or a motorcycle even.

Hi newby, who is tuning in after searching webs for information on the distant network situation.

Don't bother with too many extremes.

I just got back a reject for RV waiver-- seems they are taking things a little more seriously these days.
It was suggested that a camper, trailer or class c or above motorhome might fit the bill but my SUV did not measure up.

I wouldn't bank on creative RV definition. The rules are pretty clear:

24 CFR 3282.8 (g) Recreational vehicles.

...A recreational vehicle is a vehicle which is:

(1) Built on a single chassis;

(2) 400 Square feet or less when measured
at the largest horizontal projections;

(3) Self-propelled or permanently
towable by a light duty truck; and

(4) Designed primarily not for use as
a permanent dwelling but as temporary
living quarters for recreational, camping,
travel, or seasonal use.

It seems that this last paragraph is the hurdle. The purpose of the design is determined by the manufacturer not the end user.

Hi newby, who is tuning in after searching webs for information on the distant network situation.

Don't bother with too many extremes.

I just got back a reject for RV waiver-- seems they are taking things a little more seriously these days.
It was suggested that a camper, trailer or class c or above motorhome might fit the bill but my SUV did not measure up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)