Dish Network again weighs DirecTV deal

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

whitewolf8214

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
May 13, 2004
Space
Dish Network again weighs DirecTV deal

PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) - U.S. satellite-TV provider Dish Network Corp (DISH.O) is weighing another attempt to merge with rival DirecTV Group Inc (DTV.O), The Wall Street Journal reported on Tuesday.

No formal proposal has been made, but Dish executives and DirecTV representatives have had general discussions about the idea in recent months, the newspaper reported in its electronic edition.

On Monday Dish reported a loss in subscribers, which may prompt the company to consider "a major strategic shift" that could involve reviving attempts to combine with DirecTV, the newspaper said.

The two satellite broadcasters attempted a deal in 2001, when Dish tried to acquire DirecTV's then-owner Hughes Electronics Corp, but the efforts were abandoned due to regulatory opposition.

Dish Chairman and Chief Executive Charles Ergen thinks the regulatory and competitive environment may be more receptive for a Dish-DirecTV deal now, the newspaper said.

Dish and DirecTV could not be immediately reached for comment.

(Reporting by Jessica Hall, editing by Dave Zimmerman)

(For more M&A news and our DealZone blog, go to M&A - Mergers and Acquisitions News, M&A Deals and Transactions | Reuters.com)

Sorry Charlie,

With the upcoming change is administration there is no way (again) that a merger between both companies would be approved.

XM and Sirius (while necessary to merge) was passed under a different administration I don't see it going through.

Sirus - XM were hemorraging cash and still had to give away their first born to push their deal thru and then just scrapped by the commissioners. One or both will have to be going under before it could be approved and they are both making money - not going to happen in the next decade.

Yeah one I dont think Charlie want to join companies just my 2 cents and it would be better for both to stay separate to be more competitive against the cable and telco companies. Overall XM Sirius just barley made is and its radio not video which is two different things..

I guess once a year or so the chatter has to come out just to stick with tradition.

I hope they don't merge. The competitive success of both companies only makes things better for both Dish and Direct subs.

I really hope they merge. I have had Dish off and on for years and I have been trying to find a reason to switch to Direct. If they merge they could destroy cable with better offers, channels, and more channels in HD which I would love. Let's just hope they keep the prices low.

I really hope they merge. I have had Dish off and on for years and I have been trying to find a reason to switch to Direct. If they merge they could destroy cable with better offers, channels, and more channels in HD which I would love. Let's just hope they keep the prices low.

are you crazy? They wouldn't have to advance anything since they are so far ahead of cable. No competition = no reason to advance. The only reason why both sat companies are pumping out so many new HD channels is because of competition. That goes for prices too.

are you crazy? They wouldn't have to advance anything since they are so far ahead of cable. No competition = no reason to advance. The only reason why both sat companies are pumping out so many new HD channels is because of competition. That goes for prices too.

Probably true, except for FiOS - they are the dark horse candidate in this race for entertainment dollars. It could take 5 years but they may wind up the king of the hill leaving satellite to handle the rural areas.

Probably true, except for FiOS - they are the dark horse candidate in this race for entertainment dollars. It could take 5 years but they may wind up the king of the hill leaving satellite to handle the rural areas.

IMHO, you aren't going to see FIOS or Uverse out past the burbs, just too much of a dollar investment for little return.

Like many people, FiOS is not available to me and never will be. I have U-verse in the area, they only offer 1 HD feed and from what I've heard the quality isn't that great.

That's why i said the sats may well wind up mainly in the rural areas.
Sorry, meant to say close in, densly populated burbs. Looking at what AT&T's been doing so far the farther thet get out from the city center the availability becomes thinner.

Sorry, meant to say close in, densly populated burbs. Looking at what AT&T's been doing so far the farther thet get out from the city center the availability becomes thinner.
I think you are probably right, I was just giving Verizon a slight chance of achieving a significant market share.

Sorry Charlie,

With the upcoming change is administration there is no way (again) that a merger between both companies would be approved.

XM and Sirius (while necessary to merge) was passed under a different administration I don't see it going through.

So it takes a bush to merge??

It will not happen with a macain over your head.

An an obama will no am the deal.

So I gusess it takes a bush for merger to happen.:eureka

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts