Dish Network and Tivo Settle Lawsuit!!!!

Unlikely. Tivo's systems are even slower than Dish's. They're notoriously sluggish. In fact, they added those ridiculous circus noises to tell you that, yes the tivo has received your command, and it will get around to processing it when it damn well pleases.
When I had Tivo the sound effects were the first thing I disabled . It sounded like a kid's video game.

It was probably fair.

I think dish got off kinda cheap (from the possibilities), but TiVo seemed to be losing. Charlie could have swapped out the old boxes and paid nothing... Well not really. I believe penalties would have been owed for the time the injuncted boxes were in the field.

It's still not decided if the VIP boxes actually infringe (TiVo is probably VERY happy that we will never hear the answer). It's still not clear if the ATT/Verizon boxes actually infringe. The fight helps those companies. The wording of the patent has been clarified (streamlined) making it easier to fight (it's a stupid patent anyway).

The big downside for TiVo is that this is a flat payment no matter how many PVR's Dish puts in the field (for a limitless amount of time). TiVo needs continuous income.

Dish now really needs to start worrying about streaming video.

PS: I agree that it would be great if Dish goes back to the original code. Trick Play was much smoother before the "Fix".

I wonder if we will get a dancing Tivo man in our DISH guides now?

2.gif

They haven't left, I'm just pragmatic. Settlement makes sense so why :dead ?
Well said. Both parties settled...both save face...both gain something in the deal...and most of us have other things to do in life besides posting endless about something that is no longer an issue for either company. Perhaps future discussions should instead focus on how this settlement, and cross-licensing agreement, will bring to market new products and services. :eureka:

To be honest, I'm willing to bet two-bits that we'll see Tivo and Dish partner when it comes to protecting their collective patent rights in the near future; both have years of litigation experience and precedence has been set. We shall see.

Next on queue is the potential 600-700M E* may be paying VOOM for terminating their affiliation agreement. Of course, the only winner in this battle (besides the lawyers) will be Cablevision since there is no way the Dolans will spend another cent on the VOOMHD service should they prevail. But this is another story. ;)

Unlikely. Tivo's systems are even slower than Dish's. They're notoriously sluggish. In fact, they added those ridiculous circus noises to tell you that, yes the tivo has received your command, and it will get around to processing it when it damn well pleases.
My TivoHD works quickly and without a single glitch...my Tivo Premiere is another story. Regardless, it takes less than 20-seconds to permanently disable those highly annoying bloops and bleeps.

Well said. Both parties settled...both save face...both gain something in the deal...and most of us have other things to do in life besides posting endless about something that is no longer an issue for either company.

Next on queue is the potential 600-700M E* may be paying VOOM for terminating their affiliation agreement. Of course, the only winner in this battle (besides the lawyers) will be Cablevision since there is no way the Dolans will spend another cent on the VOOMHD service should they prevail. But this is another story. ;)

Thanks; Now on the last part I do think hell may freeze over before Mr. E. will pay them:censored: cent.:devil:

riffjim4069 said:
Well said. Both parties settled...both save face...both gain something in the deal...

But when one pulls his head out of the sand he would realize Dish has gained 16% after the deal, TiVo has lost over 1%:)

Of course who knows what future may hold.

Curtis0620 said:
Give it up already. Tivo did not get crushed like you wish they did.

It wasn't me who wished TiVo crushed, you don't even know your target. You on the other hand constantly stated how Dish would be crushed, said so in everyone's face for all this time till three days ago.

Why the change of heart?

jacmyoung said:
But when one pulls his head out of the sand he would realize Dish has gained 16% after the deal, TiVo has lost over 1%:)

Of course who knows what future may hold.
Sounds like you're making an issue over a non-issue. On a positive note, now that this case has been settled you'll have an extra 40-hours each week to enjoy the spring, summer, winter and fall. :)

Sent from my HTC EVO using SatelliteGuys App

whatchel1 said:
Thanks; Now on the last part I do think hell may freeze over before Mr. E. will pay them:censored: cent.:devil:

It's just a money grab between two large corporations at this point...I'm just interested in finding out which party's version of the truth was more legally credible than the others. We shall see. :)

riffjim4069 said:
Sounds like you're making an issue over a non-issue. On a positive note, now that this case has been settled you'll have an extra 40-hours each week to enjoy the spring, summer, winter and fall. :)

Of course everthing that does not fit your version of success is a non issue. By that standard, there has not been a single issue for you yet, so why are you here? Just so you can cut back your hours of enjoying whatever the issues that are non existent?

Maybe the skip-back button on the DVR will become unbroken at some point, ...
Hmm. Anyone want to predict how long it will take to get rid of their TiVo Workaround that caused the problems with the skip buttons? Now that they can use the TiVo patent, they should be able to go back and use this and the stuff that was built-in the hardware chips, all of which they were skipping because of the Workaround.

In theory, the code should be "modular" so they could literally just copy and paste. Of course, Dish could have made changes that would make it not that simple.... On the other hand, for the amount of money Dish paid for this code, they likely really WANT to use it !

I never saw smooth operation on my 625, nor any of my VIP receivers. But my 501 was silky smooth before Dish took out the relevant Tivo indexing code. Those who still have the 50x series of receivers may see it restored first, since the firmware for sure has already been written. Did the VIP receivers ever have it? :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)