Dish Network and Tivo Settle Lawsuit!!!!

Seeking DISH is up 16% and TiVo up just shy of 5%, the investors seem to try to tell us who is the bigger winner.

DISH has about over$ 300M in the escrow, so they give it to TiVo, now they can go back use TiVo's DVR gig, which is more efficient than Dish's own workaround gig.

TiVo's poison pill will dissolve 60 days after the en banc ruling, this was stipulated by TiVo early this year. Now I can see Echostar (not Dish) merge with TiVo.

navychop said:
Why did TiVo agree to dissolve the poison pill?

TiVo did not agree to it, they stipulated it in their 10K back when the en banc review was granted. My guess at that time was TiVo realized they could not win the most of it, so they stipulated the PP would dissolve 60 days after the en banc ruling was issued.

Of course TiVo can change its mind too, put the PP back later or decide not to dissolve the PP.

gasman882001 said:
Price and fee increases just put in place or maybe they will get creative with some new ones?!?!?

Ar $17 a month per dvr dish is not losing any money on this deal.

Sent from my iPad using The SatelliteGuys app!

Scherrman said:
Man this is really setting Team Summit up to be full of new things. I'm pretty excited to get there and hear what Dish's plans are. I head out to Denver tomorrow morning.

A side note for everyone, Tivo stock is up 9% and Dish up 11% this morning.

I am here in Denver now :)

Sent from my iPad using The SatelliteGuys app!

Way back we had Directv with Tivo . We still talks about how that recorder started and stopped exactly on program start/stop. Sure beats the estimating trick Dish is currently using. I sure hope they are working on a speedy switchover to this TIVO feature.

nelson61 said:
Way back we had Directv with Tivo . We still talks about how that recorder started and stopped exactly on program start/stop. Sure beats the estimating trick Dish is currently using. I sure hope they are working on a speedy switchover to this TIVO feature.

I agree that should be the first order of the day.

Ar $17 a month per dvr dish is not losing any money on this deal.

"
As previously disclosed, our total litigation accrual for TiVo was $517 million as of December 31, 2010. As a result of the settlement agreement, as of March 31, 2011, we reversed $335 million of this accrual and we will make a payment of approximately $290 million for our portion of the initial payment to TiVo. Of this amount, approximately $182 million relates to prior periods and the remaining $108 million represents a prepayment. Our $108 million prepayment and our $190 million share of the remaining payments, a total of $298 million, will be expensed ratably as a subscriber-related expense from April 1, 2011 through July 31, 2018, the expiration date of the ‘389 patent. "

This is why the stock jumped. They moved 335 million from the liability side of the sheet to the asset side.

I find with my VIP 722k I just have to add 1 minute to the end and everything records just fine,now if doing this causes a conflict then you install the MT2(Dual Over the Air Tuners) and select to record your local programming with that setup.
If for any reason that is not enough you may have to check into getting a Dual DVR and set it up to do nothing but be there to record programs.:)

Tivo wins and Dish/Echostar wins, but guess who loses? Who will sue Dish/Echostar next so our fees can go up?

i can't believe Dish and TiVo settle, i kinda figured that Dish would settle with Disney or Cablevision's Rainbow/MSG over the channel disputes over TiVo but at least the TiVo thing is over, but get ready to fell it in your wallet, I'm calling it now, Dish will be fore to increase something to pay off the TiVo licenses and lawsuit settlement payment. whether it's in the packages pricing or the DVR fee rates, one way or another, something will go up in the billing department.

i can't believe Dish and TiVo settle, i kinda figured that Dish would settle with Disney or Cablevision's Rainbow/MSG over the channel disputes over TiVo but at least the TiVo thing is over, but get ready to fell it in your wallet, I'm calling it now, Dish will be fore to increase something to pay off the TiVo licenses and lawsuit settlement payment. whether it's in the packages pricing or the DVR fee rates, one way or another, something will go up in the billing department.

That won't be easy to do until 2013. When they gave their rate increase this year they guaranteed not only the package pricing till 2013 but the receiver fees as well until 2013.

I see the settlement as a win-win-win-win: Dish gets the Tivo monkey off their back as well as the use of Tivo's Season Pass manager technology; Tivo obtains a few badly needed bucks and gets rid of both E* cases; Dish customers should see some new software features, as well the return a sorely missed old one; and Tivo customers will hopefully see the Premiere software fixed and perhaps some new hardware/software in the future. In other words, the $600-$700 million it cost E* was not entirely fruitless.

When they gave their rate increase this year they guaranteed not only the package pricing till 2013 but the receiver fees as well until 2013.
Guaranteed ? No they didn't. They "said" they won't but have NO obligations to keep their word. They could change their mind tomorrow and customers have ZERO recourse (other than cancelling).

Hall said:
Guaranteed ? No they didn't. They "said" they won't but have NO obligations to keep their word. They could change their mind tomorrow and customers have ZERO recourse (other than cancelling).

False advertising, unfair trade practices and related consumer protection laws would likely bite them if they raised package prices before 2013. (unless there's some small print disclaimer that I've missed in the Dish tv commercials advertising this)

In reality, it's irrelevant because they can raise prices on equipment or add fees unrelated to package prices and still not be breaking their word and incurring legal liabilities.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Bin Laden is dead, Obama has a birth certificate, white iPhone 4 is available and now this. I think I must have fallen through a wormhole into an alternate universe.

Maybe the skip-back button on the DVR will become unbroken at some point, and stretch-o-vision will cease. Who knows? At this point anything is possible. Is it too much to hope that the networks will stop with the screen spam?