Dish Network bids for Blockbuster at the last minute before the bidding deadline.

For the future "growth" of Satellite, I think it will be a good move. It will be intresting to see what comes from it

I wonder if this though seals the end of the Blockbuster "stores" we still have one close by us

What if Dish offered a Blockbuster streaming package for $5 if you were a dishnetwork sub, or a $7 DVD/BD mail & streaming package?

They could be the same as netflix for non Dish customers, but give you an incentive to be a Dish customer for your TV.

If they roll out a nationwide wireless network they could use it to stream down any movie right to a Dish box with a cell connection built right into it.

There are a lot of ways this could go. The deal cost Dish less than a satellite.

Scott- what's your opinion on this?- I'm guessing that the only DVR's that will be capable of a Blockbuster streaming service will be the 922 as it requires a browser which the 922 has in it's OS. Also, do you think the 722 is capable of accessing a streaming service?

I spoke to my local Blockbuster store manager ( the only remaining BB store in the area) and he said they were officially told first thing this morning. He said he thought the official date they become Dish Network employees is the 11th. He said part of the memo was that they will have a center to sell and set up Dish accounts. Said it wasn't new to them because they used to retail DirecTV. He didn't know anything about the streaming possible changes. He said he was hoping that they would change it to a subscription based complete service like Netflix. I asked if he had any thoughts the store would close and he said absolutely not. They would be able to continue the DVD rental retail business as usual. { My opinion is that we shall see how this fairs with Charlie negotiating the rental licenses }

Anyway- I was indeed surprised because I didn't think Dish would be the high bidder.

Blockbuster doesn't operate any kiosks. Those are fully-owned by NCR - NCR simply licensed the Blockbuster name. Think about it, who would people want to rent movies from, NCR or Blockbuster ?

As for closing all remaining stores, personally I think that some B&M stores can and should remain. Fact is, BB has or had way too many. At one time, within a 10-min (city) drive of my home, I could get to 9-10 BB stores !! A large number of people still want to walk in and rent a disc. Not everyone is interested in streaming or ordering a movie and waiting 1-2 days for the disc to arrive.

I could be wrong but I believe they are partners. DISH would have acquired Blocbuter's share in that partnership.

I just know that Charlie has something planned that we haven't grasped yet.. Dish Just bought Block Buster.. EchoStar just bought Hughesnet and some terestrial frequencies awhile back.. I just see all this coming together for something.. I just can't put my finger on what yet..

Charlie E and Charlie S are going to team up and take over the world! That's "Winning"! Just wait and see!

Ghpr13:)

Charlie is covering his bets because as caps on data downloads from ISP along with expensive tiers means that cable and satellite may very well, ironically, become the better value once again, and Charlie will have a finger in both pots.

Could this be a way for Charlie to add to the Goggle TV box? I'm surprised Goggle did not bid on Blockbuster. Now Goggle and Dish could have their own Netflix like streaming. This could force the Networks to give Goggle/Dish some kind of deal to use their content. There are many areas without a Blockbuster store. I just don't see Dish opening stores unless they can renegotiate cheap leases to reopen closed stores. Dish does not have any experience owning and running B&M stores. Have all the major B&M Blockbuster people left an appearing dieing business? I bet they sell off the stores and go with a network and satellite delivery only. Will this deal allow Dish a better price for pay for view?

Scott- what's your opinion on this?- I'm guessing that the only DVR's that will be capable of a Blockbuster streaming service will be the 922 as it requires a browser which the 922 has in it's OS. Also, do you think the 722 is capable of accessing a streaming service?

I spoke to my local Blockbuster store manager ( the only remaining BB store in the area) and he said they were officially told first thing this morning. He said he thought the official date they become Dish Network employees is the 11th. He said part of the memo was that they will have a center to sell and set up Dish accounts. Said it wasn't new to them because they used to retail DirecTV. He didn't know anything about the streaming possible changes. He said he was hoping that they would change it to a subscription based complete service like Netflix. I asked if he had any thoughts the store would close and he said absolutely not. They would be able to continue the DVD rental retail business as usual. { My opinion is that we shall see how this fairs with Charlie negotiating the rental licenses }

Anyway- I was indeed surprised because I didn't think Dish would be the high bidder.

The 722k can do anything that the 922 can only difference is size of HDD inside and no sling built in.

I expect this is a situation where E* will start running the BB B&M stores before long. Then they will also sell systems as someone else mentioned (when I was an asst for several locations in the Seattle/Tacoma area I sold many D* units). On top of this the VOD will be renamed and streaming will take place thru the DVR's and net. And finally they will be able to supply mobile devices w/ video & programming that they get thru the BB name & contracts. I'm not sure that they will be able to do sat broadband yet as that is a 2 way satellite signal and mostly they don't have that spectrum available at this time.

The 722k can do anything that the 922 can only difference is size of HDD inside and no sling built in.

Really? So how do I set my 722K up as a DLNA client? How do I watch internet content on my 722K? This feature alone is key to being able to see Blockbuster online and that was the point of my question to Scott.

Also, originally, the 922 was shown with a web browser but has never been released with it. Presently, the DLNA is the only way the 922 can see web streaming content from services like Hulu and Netflix that I have heard. But, if E* gets the bugs worked out they could release the web browser for 922 again.

We have a blockbuster around the corner from where we live. I will have to stop in there to see if employees have anything to say. I am guessing that with Dish buying Blockbuster there may not be a need for the physical stores, as many have closed in our area. In fact with other stores such as Hollywood video closing and such its become a "redbox" world now this blockbuster is really the only old style video store around. Though as some others have posted this could be a good marketing tool for folks to see Dish services in person and maybe drum up some new customers?

I have no opinion on this other to say as know Charlie he will not buy ANYTHING unless he knows he can make money on it.

The 722 can stream just like the 922 can, they are actually all browser based systems. While the 722 cant do DLNA I am sure that with a software update it would be able to, after all the OS is just a custom version of Linux.

If they want to use Blockbuster for VOD services, they better hurry up and make their profits. ISPs are going to put bandwidth caps when this stuff REALLY hits mainstream. Netflix (and others) may be relatively inexpensive, but your internet service bill is going to go up... How may millions of households all wanting to download videos (and HD at that in the future) at prime time?

I remember back on 9/11 when everybody flooded news websites and you couldn't get anything... I ain't no expert, but doesn't HD content take up a lot of bandwidth? Sure there's more infrastructure today... but enough to suffice? ...don't think so. The demand is growing faster than bandwidth supply I think--we're just not yet to the point where it's very obvious.

So far the bandwidth caps aren't terrible. It takes quite a bit to get to 250 GB a month. I do a decent amount of streaming with various devices from Netflix, I use some Playon (would use a lot more if it was HD), play PS 3 online and don't come close to that limit. For those that do, it is probably fair that they pay more. Now if they lower the limits I think you'll see a lot more outcry.

Thanks Scott- That was the answer I was looking for, needs a software upgrade but hardware-wise it should be able to work for this future use. BTW- I already have Blockbuster on my other equipment ( OPPO) but I don't use it. I was just concerned that the 922 had additional processing power, minimum to handle a browser.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)