Dish Network bids for Blockbuster at the last minute before the bidding deadline.

So Blockbuster has first run movies 28 days earlier than Netflix or Redbox, free Blu Ray access, and the ability to return in store provided there is one conveniently located. I had downgraded from AEP to AT250 because I had subscribed to Netflix. If Dish incorporates this business model into what they currently offer and sweetens the deal by lowering the price point for BB subscription, sign me up! Goodbye Netflix. I know many subscribers who have dropped their movie packages for Netflix or Redbox. I guess this is one way for Dish to get some of those people back eventually.

Very well said, I agree!

How about Dish looking to stream the content via Satellite internet. That way they will have the content as well as the pipeline to deliver it.

Republican have wanted to remove the internet neutrality law which would greatly effect, Vonage Amazon netflix and all those that rely on using a third party ISP's to get the content to your house. Either way $7 a month unlimited movie streaming is not going to exist for ever.

On December 21, 2010, the FCC approved new rules banning cable television and telephone service providers from preventing access to competitors or certain web sites such as Netflix. The rules also include a more limited set of obligations for wireless providers. The rules would not keep ISPs from charging more for faster access. Republicans in Congress have announced plans to reverse the rules through legislation.[22] Verizon has also indicated that it will challenge the FCC's decision in court [23], and Colin Crowell, the former Senior Counselor to the FCC Chairman, has called such court challenges "inevitable."

I'm thinking Dish has WAY bigger plans that will take a few years to implement. I'm not sure why this should bother any of you on here. I like the fact that Dish is trying to evolve their company. It's what they need to do to stay alive in this world of technology that changes so often. I think Dish knows exactly what they're doing.

As for all the sports content complaints, SWITCH TO DIRECT. Man you people complain a lot. Why do you have Dish if all you want are sports? I actually think they do quiet well with sports in my area, especialy for the prce. I'm excited to see what Dish will do with these new acquisitions.

I have Netflix, but if Dish can offer a cheaper service for streaming movies and renting Blu-Ray disks the day they are released vs waiting a damn month before starting VERY LONG WAIT I'm all for it!

If Dish is going to try to compete against Netflix, which IMO would be a good ideal, the only way if would work if Dish is willing to make the cost to subs equal to or lower than Netflix. Buying out Blockbuster could work out well for Dish as long as they don't get greedy. Since I've gotten Netflix I haven't order any movies from Dish VOD or PPV because it makes no sense to pay about $7/movie, when with Netflix I'm watching about 8 Blu-Rays a month and my son streams about 30+ movies a month, all for about $12.00/month.

Ghpr13:)

This would be sweet if I could cancel my Netflix account and add blockbuster to my dish. Watch streaming movies right on my 922! Hope they do something like that for us. As long as it is cheaper or the same price as Netflix. With dish though, that won't be the case.

Blockbuster doesn't own/operate the kiosks.

True but an explanation is in order. The Kiosks are owned and operated by NCR parent company and contracts the service from Blockbuster, Inc. Generally speaking, it is likely all contracts, assets and liabilities will become property of DishNetwork.

I can see Dish Network using the customer base to expand it's own base and may make special bundles to include the online subscriptions for Dish subscribers as well as vice versa, i.e. Dish satellite service for Blockbuster Online customers. I think Charlie recognizes the advantage of forward thinking media delivery over the next decade and this is a great way he can be ahead of the game as a satellite company getting into the online distribution business. It's a long way off from beating Netflix at this game but it sure beats getting hammered by the online services as now he will be a part of the evolution to this new way of distribution.

Humor- Blockbuster once had a contract with TIVO to retail their line. I wonder what Charlie will do with the remaining TIVO inventory? I have Blockbuster Movie and Game pass. I hope they don't discontinue that. It's one of the few remaining bargains left in the business. 2 out at a time as many of anything in the store as you can watch for $33 a month!

This would be sweet if I could cancel my Netflix account and add blockbuster to my dish. Watch streaming movies right on my 922! Hope they do something like that for us. As long as it is cheaper or the same price as Netflix. With dish though, that won't be the case.

Keep in mind that BB does NOT offer stream in HD (as of today) so they need to upgrade their capabilities to be competitive.

Do the ViP boxes not have a media share feature to where you can use a program like PlayOn to stream netflix through the receiver?

I just know that Charlie has something planned that we haven't grasped yet.. Dish Just bought Block Buster.. EchoStar just bought Hughesnet and some terestrial frequencies awhile back.. I just see all this coming together for something.. I just can't put my finger on what yet..

Old investment rule: Never buy a bigger piece of a shrinking market. Sold all my Dish stock.
According to recent SEC notices, executives at DISH Network have been on a buying spree of late (or maybe they've been given stock bonuses). 315,000+ shares went to DISH execs on Monday.

Proposed Netflix Model for Dish (how they can be just like netflix today)
======================
I propose they do this.

The new Dish Block Buster offers a $9.95 UNLIMITED movie package.

The way it works is they use the SATS to download the movie to your DVR HD from your Que over the next 1-2 days just like it takes Netflix 1-2 days to deliver the DVD or Blue Ray to your house.
You then watch the movie and keep it as long as you want. When done, you return it which in turns deletes it from your HD. Dish then says it takes 1 day for them to get the notice that you deleted the move (simulates the Netflix return the DVD in the mail).

Dish then sends the next movie in your QUE in 1-2 days

Dish also offers STREAMING movies like netflix does today using a combined improved HD block buster stream system

The new Dish Block Buster can offer higher prices packages for more movies rented at time just like Netfix.
In the end this would be a lower cost model for Dish as they already have the SAT and PPV space (they would remove all PPV channels so they could use them to download rentals) dish would not have to buy physical DVDs or pay people to sort and mail em. They dont have to pay US mail postage.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Most likely they will use the purchase to further enhance the idea that Dish is the movie persons choice.
But they will also be in a great position to offer first run movies on pay per view at really cheap prices to subscribers.

Whatever the deal is, I am sure Dish has thought it thru really good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)