DISH Network Charges Forward With Another Round of National HD Channel Launches

I knew if I waited and didn't rush out to Directv Dish would deliver, just some patience is all it took. I love their service, I love their dvr and I love my external hard drives, THANKS DISH you are awesome. Now the only thing left is locals in HD for Duluth, MN but it was on the map as coming soon.

I thought a couple of months back they said they were going to offer a HD Movie pack where it's just the HD versions of the premium channels for $10 a month?

Now I would really get into that. In order to get HBO, Cinemax and Starz HD you need to get all the other standard def channels in those catagories and I never watch them, sorry I don't watch pan and scanned films. I would love to be able to just buy the HD versions.

( BIO-HD looks like the only turkey so far - A&E-HD is the worst HD channel ever - did we need a second A&E ? )

You forget Cartoon Network. Those are the only 2 stretching on the new channels.

I've actually seen SOME things in HD on A&E, but I can't imagine Cartoon Network will have anything.

BUT...there's some good news! It APPEARS that CN is just stretched evenly, not "stretch-o-vision". I am watching on a 4:3 monitor in my office that is fed from the s-vid on my 622...and it looks perfectly normal! No distortion. Can anyone confirm that Cartoon Network doesn't suffer from the usual S-O-V fate of Turner HD channels? Could it be that they are listening?

Regarding the 300 level channels...looks like 360-369 will be general interest, 370-379 educational, 380-389 movies, 390-399 sports. I wonder if this is a jab at Voom, as they are now the ONLY HD channels that are only available in the 9000s.

(Forgive me if this has been covered...I'm not going to read all 18 pages, just the last few.)

I would love to be able to just buy the HD versions.

But it would cost the same. What's the point?

Do people really still not understand how premium multiplexes work? The providers pay for a certain window to show programming. I'm sure there are exceptions, but generally, they can show something as many times as they want in the window. The multiplexes were started as a way to make their service seem more valuable. Rather than pay $11 for one channel, you got 2 or 3. (or 7 or 8 nowadays.) But the programming was the same.

Encore is the only service that charges separately for every channel. The only thing keeping DISH from adding the extra premium channels (1 HBO, 4 Cinemax, 3 Showtime) is bandwidth and economics. They've kind of reached a point where adding more SD Premium channels isn't going to attract more people as much as other, more exclusive channels. But more HD might...which is why we now have 3 for Cinemax. But those HD channels don't cost them any money, just bandwidth.

That's like the 10th time I've posted that.

So what happened to Mojo, The Movie Channel, WGN, and the two Showtime channels? Didn't make the cut, I guess. :(

You forget Cartoon Network. Those are the only 2 stretching on the new channels.

I've actually seen SOME things in HD on A&E, but I can't imagine Cartoon Network will have anything.

I beg to differ... remember that this fall "The Clone Wars" premieres on Cartoon Network and will showcase what HD is all about... by adding ToonHD, Dish just made the right move to ensure they keep my business (in conjunction w/adding SciFi HD)...

I beg to differ... remember that this fall "The Clone Wars" premieres on Cartoon Network and will showcase what HD is all about...

Gee...how could I have forgotten? :rolleyes: :D

(I don't know what that is/means, but anything that makes people happy is good.)

anyone else not getting TWC and CNBC?
I'm not getting Bravo, ESNEWS, Disney E, TDisney among others. I was getting pixelation and freezes on one of the new Cinemax channels. All are on 61.5 and showing signal strength from 15 to 24. I've rebooted and done a check switch, but no change. I guess it's time to call tech support.

I'm not getting Bravo, ESNEWS, Disney E, TDisney among others. I was getting pixelation and freezes on one of the new Cinemax channels. All are on 61.5 and showing signal strength from 15 to 24. I've rebooted and done a check switch, but no change. I guess it's time to call tech support.
im gonna give em a day or 2. it took a week for CNN HD to finally work here

He'd have to give up his little 12" B&W set if he did that. Besides, this whole Color TV stuff is just a sham...it'll never catch on! ;)
I agree. Who needs talking pictures when you have RADIO to free the imagination -- as long as you keep your eyes closed :)

Talon Dancer

You guys are getting all wet about all of these HD channels. Do you really think all of these channels are HD? Or just feeding SD to a big screen and calling it HD? How can all of these channels have already amassed HD libraries? Biography HD? ABC Family HD? Can't wait to see all those Full House episodes in HD! All of those Bravo reality shows are shot in SD. Are you guys on crack? This whole HD rush is a total sham and you are falling for it hook line and sinker. Every major cable network is B.S. ing you on HD content. Direct has been lying for over a year and now Dish is doing the same and you are all gushing over it. Wake up!
Dude, read some of the posts in this forum before you go insulting people about what they think is or isnt HD. People here arent as stupid as you seem to think. So sit back, relax, and enjoy the new channels. Ok?:up

Edit: after reading some of your others post, why do you have a problem with people making a choice to pay and view what they want? If you dont like, or think it isnt worth it, dont get it. Simple as that.

Oh yeah, where are those comments with people being excited about full house "in hd"? You said some of them were about that. Just curious

Didn't log in here last night. Decided today that I would call D* tomorrow to make the switch. Went out into my yard an hour ago to sight things up. Came in and flicked on my TV, with the guide set to "All HD" and was stunned to see all of the channels.

Guess I will hold off for a few days to reconsider ... and to evaluate the PQ of all of these HD channels.

dishhd_ultimate.jpg

Wow, it totally amazes me, 22 new HD channels and tons of HD locals being added and yet STILL some people come on here only to complain about something that Dish didn't do without giving any positive remarks for such a fantastic addition of channels. Some people are never satisfied. These won't be the last 22 either.

I couldn't be happier-22 more HD channels to surf, and my long awaited MGM HD with a few more movie channels to boot. Plus I like the change in the Voom World Cinema channel that is now showing studio classics. I really hope that one day TCM (Turner Classic Movies) goes high def but the problem would be getting good high def masters for all those classic movies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)