Dish Network clobbers Pansat

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The car analogy isn't quite right. A train analogy would be more correct. Let's say a train stops in front of your house and goes by your work everyday. You know a guy that can supply you with counterfeit tokens and you use them. The train was going there anyway. So what are you hurting? Now they have caught on to the token thing and need to change all of them out. Your buddy then figures out how to copy those then to curb this free ridership thing they hire a company to make a smart card instead.

All these changes aren't free and honest folks end up paying for it . Charlie is just doing the same "Witch Trial" thing that DirecTV very successfully did.

The car analogy isn't quite right. A train analogy would be more correct. Let's say a train stops in front of your house and goes by your work everyday. You know a guy that can supply you with counterfeit tokens and you use them. The train was going there anyway. So what are you hurting? Now they have caught on to the token thing and need to change all of them out. Your buddy then figures out how to copy those then to curb this free ridership thing they hire a company to make a smart card instead.

All these changes aren't free and honest folks end up paying for it . Charlie is just doing the same "Witch Trial" thing that DirecTV very successfully did.

Trains! :cool:

Choo Choo Charlies' railroad does run trains by everyday. I take the free locals (OTA) and the occasional free rides (FTA feeds) of other railroads. Some trains have more luxury (channels) than others but the ride (Dish) is quite costly overall and the service is of poor quality to me. I think the problem lies with the "ticket master" (Pre N3) was unable to prevent access to the ride illegally by hacking hobos (Pirates). Like you said that the "counterfeit tokens" were offered and that was exploited big time. Technology has to fight technology (Including illegal) in many things nowadays and things have to be upgraded to keep things secure. I think spending money on securing Charlie's own train is money better spent than trying to sue everybody. I think that Directv was more successful with the securing part instead of sue all method that they did.

You're right

Because the FTA market here in the US for the most part is not profitable.

Sure we have out hobbiests.. but not a big commercial market.

You're right Scott and another problem with FTA satellite is it seems to be kept secret! You ask 10 regular people if they've heard about FTA satellite and maybe 1 in 10 have and that one automatically thinks you can get Dish or Direct for free. Almost ever single person I have seen taking down a bud or giving one away had no idea they could get so many channels FTA. I had one guy who gave me a Primstar dish tell me the thing was worthless. I asked him had he heard of FTA satellite and he said no. So I explained it and even went back and let him see what his dish could get. I ended up with the dish because he had already told me I could have it. Later He called and said he bought an FTA setup and had it installed. Almost every single person I have talked too in 5 years about FTA has No idea...

Even local dealers don't have a clue and often if they do lie about it. I know one guy who has been an installer here locally for 25 years or more. He installed C-Band dishes back in the day. He was a big 4dtv guy at one time but every time I have asked him about FTA he says oh you can't get nothing, and the motorized systems are junk. One of my friends called him and asked him about buying a motorized system and was told the same thing, junk and you can't get nothing worth watching.

Why is it such a secret?

As for why doesn't someone make a "Dream Box" they have like I said but like Scott says not a big enough market is here in the US, making prices higher and those "Dream boxes" require some learning!

Hospitals and schools spend billions of dollars fighting hackers and malware. Money that could be spent on serving the public but no, some self enabled hacker thinks he's a tough guy/cyber-burglar thinks since the door isn't that hard to break into, it's their own fault.

If you leave your keys in your car and somebody steals it, your car still has been stolen. If you leave your house unlocked and somebody comes in and takes your crap and kills your family, still not your fault.

DirecTV isn't anymore secure than Dish Network. They just scared the bejeezus out of anybody who might think of trying.They didn't care where the hackers lived either. Canada, USA, Bahamas, they tracked them down. Those card programmers have legitimate uses outside of DirecTV but they were going after the manufacturers and sued to get their customer lists. They didn't give a rats @$$ why people bought them they sued them anyway. They painted the path and Dish Network is just following it.

The best way to kill everything in the lake is poison it. This hack for profit environment has been effectively poisoned.

I despise all hackers and revel in them getting busted:devil:

Last edited:
Why is it such a secret?
Because its not a good commercial product. What you are watching today might not be there tomorrow. Try selling those system to an every day Joe and watch how many times your phone rings with upset customers because they can't find what they were watching yesterday.

If there was some dedicated stuff up there for the FTA crowd (and we have some good inroads with Glorystar) such as the proposed 20 channel FTA service where people could tune in day after day and watch the programming they want, then I could see more dealers learning about it and wanting to support that kind of system.

But as long as you need to move the Dish across the skies and Blindscan hoping to find new things to watch then I don't see FTA becoming commong place.

Anyone who believes that poor little innocent companies are being targeted and shut down by Dish is either oblivious to the obvious or just plain ignorant. :eek: Each company and individual that has been shut down has been involved in the distribution and development of a product specifically designed for the theft of service.

Theft of service firmware is not developed and distributed at zero cost for the fun of it by characters who hang out in dark alleys and call themselves "3rd Party". Theft of Service firmware is developed to sell the latest model of a particular brand of receiver.

Big money is involved here and the companies that pay the big bucks get the lucrative theft of services market.

Regarding Brian's comment, it's the same way with computer viruses, where do you think most or maybe all the viruses come from? It's a deceptive way to force consumer's to buy anti-virus software besides increasing sales. It seems odd how quick the anti-virus companies have a fix so quick, if they can write anti-virus code, then they can write the virus! It's all about $$$

Regarding Brian's comment, it's the same way with computer viruses, where do you think most or maybe all the viruses come from? It's a deceptive way to force consumer's to buy anti-virus software besides increasing sales. It seems odd how quick the anti-virus companies have a fix so quick, if they can write anti-virus code, then they can write the virus! It's all about $$$

My anti virus program appears to find more viruses in the last month of the subscription than the 11 months prior. I wonder why :D

A thought

If everyone totally agrees that Pansats, Coolsats, Sonicviews, Azbox, Neusat, Neosat, SonySat, Dreamboxes, Viewsat and all the other mFg's of FTA receivers purposely designed them for signal theft.

Then throw away your boxes else you contribute to those companies by owning it. By owning it in a way you are condoning its design and it's supposed illegal use. Even if you've never used it for the purpose of signal theft. You are guilty by association!

Before anyone gets bent out of shape and starts bashing my comments, that's just a thought as to how some folks can look at things in life.

REST ASSURED I am not throwing away my receivers just because they happen to have a brandname that has been associated with some crap. I don't condone the mis-use of the receivers. That said ANYTHING can be mis-used. Anything can be mis-used! Next time you drive around talking on your cell phone that is MIS-USE. Why because YOU can kill someone because you are distracted saftey test after saftey test confirms it. Should all cell phone mfg's be sued because you mis-used your phone?

Don't take me wrong If some of these companies actually designed them for mis-use then they should take the rap and justice they deserve. They built receivers that could be updated through the use of FlashRom. They opened themselves up right there...Did they do that on purpose? Sure they did but did they do that for illegal purpose? That really remains to be seen...Even if they did, nobody stood over anyones shoulder and forced them to load illegal software on their receivers. The owners who contributed to the illegal use are the guilty if you ask me.

Now look at it like this, Everyone who owns a receiver and has never used it for anything illegal can't even get support or updated files. Most of the compaines have close their websites. Factory files are gone, those people now can't even get the support they need. Often it results in long hours of search and they are forced to use a 3rd party bin that was indeed used for signal theft but these people do not use that software to doing anything wrong. They just want their receivers to work correctly so they can watch FTA signals. A lot of people on this site have done that because they had no other choices...What else could they do? Does that make them a criminal too?

Last edited:
Anyone who believes that poor little innocent companies are being targeted and shut down by Dish is either oblivious to the obvious or just plain ignorant. :eek:

I do not believe that any company is innocent, they all are in business to make money. It is just with less companies means less receivers being made and with little or no competition we will pay more. Just look at the Dish and Directv prices! My Coolsat and Pansat receivers are great, easy to use and someday I will replace them for one reason or another. I have been dreaming of a AZBox but until the bugs are worked out I am going to wait a while. Will Charlie someday find a reason to shut down the makers of AZBox??? Who knows! We just might end up with outdated FTA receivers like us 4DTV subscribers who are dealing with the old outdated Motorolas! :eek:

If everyone totally agrees that Pansats, Coolsats, Sonicviews, Azbox, Neusat, Neosat, SonySat, Dreamboxes, Viewsat and all the other mFg's of FTA receivers purposely designed them for signal theft.

Then throw away your boxes else you contribute to those companies by owning it. By owning it in a way you are condoning its design and it's supposed illegal use. Even if you've never used it for the purpose of signal theft. You are guilty by association!

Before anyone gets bent out of shape and starts bashing my comments, that's just a thought as to how some folks can look at things in life.

REST ASSURED I am not throwing away my receivers just because they happen to have a brandname that has been associated with some crap. I don't condone the mis-use of the receivers. That said ANYTHING can be mis-used. Anything can be mis-used! Next time you drive around talking on your cell phone that is MIS-USE. Why because YOU can kill someone because you are distracted saftey test after saftey test confirms it. Should all cell phone mfg's be sued because you mis-used your phone?

Don't take me wrong If some of these companies actually designed them for mis-use then they should take the rap and justice they deserve. They built receivers that could be updated through the use of FlashRom. They opened themselves up right there...Did they do that on purpose? Sure they did but did they do that for illegal purpose? That really remains to be seen...Even if they did, nobody stood over anyones shoulder and forced them to load illegal software on their receivers. The owners who contributed to the illegal use are the guilty if you ask me.

Now look at it like this, Everyone who owns a receiver and has never used it for anything illegal can't even get support or updated files. Most of the compaines have close their websites. Factory files are gone, those people now can't even get the support they need. Often it results in long hours of search and they are forced to use a 3rd party bin that was indeed used for signal theft but these people do not use that software to doing anything wrong. They just want their receivers to work correctly so they can watch FTA signals. A lot of people on this site have done that because they had no other choices...What else could they do? Does that make them a criminal too?

WELL SAID!!!... :hatsoff:

IKS is alive and kicking a lot of entrepenurs are making a lot of money reselling their subs with private suport

Not like the Idea keys and BINs were kicking.

They have been getting busted too. Their server may not be collecting IPs but their ISP is and whats to keep the fuzz from seizing the server's IP and installing a server that does record IPs. They don't make a habit of warning before they raid.

All they need to do to find them is buy and install a IKS receiver and trace the files. It's just a matter of time before they get warrants for those records to be released. The internet is not private. Every switch your packets go through leave a trace.

Last edited:
Will Charlie someday find a reason to shut down the makers of AZBox??? Who knows! We just might end up with outdated FTA receivers like us 4DTV subscribers who are dealing with the old outdated Motorolas! :eek:

The AZ box is an IKS capable receiver. Google to find your own answer. It appears that AZBox is supported for theft of service in many regions of the world.

Today's News: AZBox is in the crosshairs!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)