Dish Network Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I tried the TurboHd dish that dishnet left behind and a 500 from a friend.
With the TurboHd I am able to get over 200 channels on 97W or G19 satellite which is kinda hard to do for a beginner, but not impossible.
With the 500 it took me over 1 hour to get about 10 channels on the same satellite, this dish is way to small and extremely sensitive for the slightest movement or adjustment and for an beginner and to small for most satellite and channels for FTA, I just wanted to see the difference between a bigger and smaller dish.
Also, on both dishes I had to extend the LNBF-arm by 1-2 inches to get focal point right , using a linear LNBF.
Using a 36'' or bigger dish is recommended.

What kind of receiver did you want to use with it or do you have ?

Since using any of the dishes I have from Dish and DirecTV would require an experienced person to get it set up, I think I'll just get a 36" dish. As far as your question on which receiver I want....Lol, I have no idea. Truth be told, at this point, I don't know one from the other. I would like to get a decent one for the lowest price possible but don't know which are good and which are junk. All I know so far is to make sure it has auto-scan and that's it! Got MUCH to learn.
Thanks for your much needed help.

With the 1m dish is excellent, but you'll need an LNBF.
The 36" dish from SatAV includes a very nice one, and his microHD receiver is highly rated.
If you don't one-stop at SatAV, at least consider his LNBF and receiver.

Go for this, and you'll never need anything else: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=02&p=DS-3100&d=Winegard-DS3100-1-Meter-Satellite-Dish-with-AZEL-Pole-Mount-(DS3100)&c=DIRECTV%20Dishes&sku=615798314699

$90 + $29 shipping. You probably can't find a 36" dish for that price, and this is a premium dish. Order quickly, because this price goes up and down $30 every few days depending on whether they include the wall mount or not. This is the low price, so no wall mount included. You can make one yourself, or put it on a ground pipe or larger motor (DG380 Sadoun.com)

I went to the link you sent and looked around. Yes, the 36" one you spoke of seems like a good price. I saw that they also have a 30" listed as for DirecTV for $35 + $20 shipping. Neither one includes the LNB. I was wondering if that would be suitable for FTA, especially since it is more than half of the 36". I would be happy to settle for 30" if I can use it....at that price. Could I use that one? As for the mount, I don't have to worry about that. My DirecTV dish is mounted on a large pole, set in concrete. I can use that one, right?

A 30" dish would gather less than 1/2 the signal of a 1 meter dish, due to the way they work. But yes, it would work for some signals. So, bigger is better and if you go for the smaller one, you'll most likely wish very soon you had gone larger.

Oh, and the Winegard 1 meter dish is actually larger and gathers more signal than most supposed 39" dishes! Kinda shows you that the way they measure the sizes isn't the same from company to company.

Also yes, most likely you can use the other mount you already have.

A 30" dish would gather less than 1/2 the signal of a 1 meter dish, due to the way they work. But yes, it would work for some signals. So, bigger is better and if you go for the smaller one, you'll most likely wish very soon you had gone larger.

Oh, and the Winegard 1 meter dish is actually larger and gathers more signal than most supposed 39" dishes! Kinda shows you that the way they measure the sizes isn't the same from company to company.

Also yes, most likely you can use the other mount you already have.

Yes, I can see where the extra 6 or so inches would be worth the money if the total signals are more than doubled. While I have been going from one vendor to another, checking out all they have to offer, etc., I came across "off-set dish" when looking at dishes. I googled it and besides confusing me even more :eek: with the description. From what I read, it seems that an off-set dish would be better, right? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offset_dish_antenna

Yes, I can see where the extra 6 or so inches would be worth the money if the total signals are more than doubled. While I have been going from one vendor to another, checking out all they have to offer, etc., I came across "off-set dish" when looking at dishes. I googled it and besides confusing me even more :eek: with the description. From what I read, it seems that an off-set dish would be better, right? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offset_dish_antenna

ALL these smaller KU dishes are "off-set dishes"! So don't read so much that you get so confused you can't even know which way to turn!

Look at one of them, and then look at and old-school large c-band dish. The larger c band dish is "prime focus". Notice how the smaller dish looks oblong, and the lnb points up (off-set) towards the middle, yet the larger prime focus dish has the lnb in the exact middle of the dish?

I know a lot of people hate small dishes like the Dish 500 for FTA but it will get you some channels with a simple $10 investment. Yes you will need to do some measurements, remove the original LNBs, drill a hole and mount the new bracket. I have mine parked on 83w for RTV, PBJ, TUFF TV and some occasional sports or news feeds. Works great in all but the worst weather. It will do well on 30w, 72w, 95w and 101w in good weather up to light rain.

$10 LNB + bracket

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FTA-Standard-Linear-Ku-LNB-HD-Ready-Dish-LNB-Bracket-/330444351944

I can post a picture of my modified dish if you need it.

ALL these smaller KU dishes are "off-set dishes"! So don't read so much that you get so confused you can't even know which way to turn!

Look at one of them, and then look at and old-school large c-band dish. The larger c band dish is "prime focus". Notice how the smaller dish looks oblong, and the lnb points up (off-set) towards the middle, yet the larger prime focus dish has the lnb in the exact middle of the dish?

Yes, I see that they ARE all offset. I guess I just assumed they were centered like the big ones. With them being smaller, I didn't notice the difference. Thanks for the help.

Lol....you said "So don't read so much that you get so confused you can't even know which way to turn!" HAH!! I'm already there! But I seem yo read some more and look at some more sites' pictures and little by little (very slowly) see that what was confusing from yesterday's reading is more or less understood. But there's SOO much more to learn. I'm taking it a little at a time, like first learn about the dishes, and then I have to learn about the receivers, which now I think I know which one I want. It's Openbox X3. It has WI FI and all the good features. I mean as far I know, that's the one I want. But I will have to read the reviews on it first. I hope to have all the brain work done and ready to set up my dish by February, when DirecTV contract expires. 90 bucks a month!! That will buy a LOT of toys!

You can throw this advice away if you wish, but as a father and grandfather, and ending up having to walk my kids/grand kids through getting all sorts of stuff; The setup from Brian at SatelliteAV the dish and LNBF on the ebay special and the microHD would be my recommendation and if the kids did not take what I advised, I would tell them they were on their own. I will not take the headaches from an "Openbox whatever number". I know you are not my kid, but if you want the headaches of too small a dish and an unsupported receiver, for the "bragging rights" of getting it working, go ahead. Yeah, I am being an old grouch, I got 4 family members in the hospital.... So ignore me if you wish. I an more of a "plug and Play" kind of guy.

Last edited:
For a beginner, you could not go wrong with the package from SatelliteAV. The receiver was basically designed on these forums, the dish is tried and true, and the LNBF is proven as well. Did I mention the support from the distributor is second to none?

If I was starting all over again today, I would not use the 30 inch Winegard I have up currently. I would use either the one at solidsignal or the Geosat 36 inch from SatelliteAV.

I wouldn't recommend motorising your first setup until after you understand the aiming process. I motorised my setup when I did my first install. I am a very patient person, but I got soooo flustered.....

Take your time, buy quality components, and remember not to try reinventing the wheel. With all the active members here, someone here has probably "been there done that" so don't be afraid to ask questions.

Sent from my Timex Sinclair using SatelliteGuys

I'm another one for the package from SatelliteAv. It's a big savings over digging up everything seperately, and well worth it for starting out, and for some future-proofing. Here's the link: http://satelliteav.com/p/shop/?ws_pid=1611&ws_cat=413

If you get it, the only thing you'd probably want or need in the future, is a DiSEqC motor, and you could get one of those for another $40 or so.

Since using any of the dishes I have from Dish and DirecTV would require an experienced person to get it set up, I think I'll just get a 36" dish. As far as your question on which receiver I want....Lol, I have no idea. Truth be told, at this point, I don't know one from the other. I would like to get a decent one for the lowest price possible but don't know which are good and which are junk. All I know so far is to make sure it has auto-scan and that's it! Got MUCH to learn.
Thanks for your much needed help.

For the money, the micro HD is one of the best receivers.
Here is a link for the microHD at SatAv that Anole mentioned.http://www.satelliteav.com/p/shop/?ws_pid=1593&ws_cat=446
There are online auctions and even sites that sell receivers, but some are selling outdated receivers where you would not be able to watch a lot of channels since more and more going to hd or fake/copied receivers or other equipment that can not be updated, so be aware.
Before you buy anything, come here and ask us what we think about it.
Many members here have years of experience under their belt and are glad to help you and save you from making mistakes that could cost you extra money .

I consider myself to be a newbie and there is no shame.
I started out with the turbo HD, dish-network left behind last November to see if I could get FTA signals.
But I started reading, reading and more reading about it.
Last spring I got a big free c-band dish where I get c and ku signals and i still use the ole dish that got me started with FTA.
So far I have a total of $260 invested. I call it investment because it saves me about $ 1,000 a year for not having to pay a monthly fee.
I also have an OTA ( regular outside antenna ) to get locals.

Ku dishes may be used as stationary dishes, like paid subscription companies are using, or they can be motorizes to go to any of the satellites you may be able to aim to.
C-band / big ugly dishes ''BUD'' can be used like the ku dishes.
Some folks like ku because of programming and some like c band because of programming and some use ku and c-band together.

If you want HBO or Starz etc. do not look any further, you will not get it with an FTA system. However you may find shows, movies,sports you desire with an FTA.

How would you know if you like the programs that is offered on ku and/or c-band ?
If you go to lyngsat.com you can find the satellites and transponder and channels.
Transponders with 5 digits are ku and transponders with 4 digits are c-band.
Yellow shaded and light blue are the FTA channels that you may get, if I remember right. Did I mention that you will also receive radio channels?
There is a you-tube video about lyngsat that may help you.

Of course you have to know if your location is right to be able to aim to an FTA satellite or if a tree or building would obstruct the insight/ direct aim of the satellite you want.
If you go to dishpointer.com and type your address, it will tell you which way to point your dish and elevation and skew (turn) of the LNB/LNBF to hit a specific satellite. Dishpointer incorporates google maps which would make it easier to aim your dish, it has a balloon that you can move over a building or a tree and it will tell you how high it would be etc.

Is the programming you want on KU or C-Band or both before buy a dish ?
Are you able to aim at the satellite you want before buying a dish ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts