Dish Network equipment upgrade message

Josh.M

Josh.M

DISH Technical Operations
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 1, 2022
Englewood CO
Over the weekend I tried to turn on my RV VIP211 and it refused to accept the "hit" authorization. It did update the software. I was told "it was too old" and they "no longer support it" I was then shocked to hear Dish no longer support replacement of any receiver failure past its one-year warranty. I have to admit it's been well over a decade since I had a owned receiver failure. Back in the day they would exchange it. With the protection plan of course. I was not even offered to buy one. I will be trying again to loyalty Monday. It makes little to no sense for me to lease one when its only used very rarely.

None of this sounds right to me...I think they should still RA the receiver for you but they can't guarantee it will be a 211 - it could be a 211z/211k/211.

You might have had someone confused because technically the receivers are "obsolete" meaning you don't need to return them when you receive the exchange.

They may be trying to get you into a Wally, but if you really want to stick with VIP you should be able to.

Reactions: JackNet, AkaDoubleG, TheKrell and 3 others
Josephinelcajon

Josephinelcajon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 31, 2016
San Diego CA
None of this sounds right to me...I think they should still RA the receiver for you but they can't guarantee it will be a 211 - it could be a 211z/211k/211.

You might have had someone confused because technically the receivers are "obsolete" meaning you don't need to return them when you receive the exchange.

They may be trying to get you into a Wally, but if you really want to stick with VIP you should be able to.
Hi Josh,

I should have put I have a VIP211Z and do not mind going to the Wally. In fact, that would be great! I called to loyalty who transferred me to tech sup who once again said they cannot exchange any owned receiver past the one-year warranty. I have been transferred back to loyalty where I was told again, I would have to buy a new receiver. I have been on the phone with Dish sense the moment I received your reply.

THANKS! Joseph

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell and charlesrshell
Josh.M

Josh.M

DISH Technical Operations
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 1, 2022
Englewood CO
I didn't realize you owned the receiver, so that is my mistake. Owned receivers have different rules, and it's been a while since I've been up to date on that policy but as far as I know we still do out of warranty RAs for owned receivers. There is a cost involved with that replacement but without your account details I wouldn't be able to tell you what it is.

The Wally upgrade you would need to buy on your own, but you can do that through MyDISH I'm pretty certain.

Reactions: TheKrell, Josephinelcajon and charlesrshell
Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
11 months it was last December. It was on my account inactive and not powered on sense then.
I would play CSR Roulette on that one as thats the receiver they use with the Portable Tailgater Antennas.

Reactions: TheKrell, charlesrshell and Josephinelcajon
Josephinelcajon

Josephinelcajon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 31, 2016
San Diego CA
I would play CSR Roulette on that one as thats the receiver they use with the Portable Tailgater Antennas.
I have tried four calls to loyalty so far the same exact response. The last one tried the hardest but said the system refused to allow her to place the order. Are "conversations" private enough for me to send Josh my account information?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I have tried four calls to loyalty so far the same exact response. The last one tried the hardest but said the system refused to allow her to place the order. Are "conversations" private enough for me to send Josh my account information?
While it is secure DISH has certain privacy laws they have to follow, so I would PM him and ask the best way to get him that info. I would say our conversation or PM feature is a lot more secure then sending it over a facebook chat, lol. :)

Reactions: Bobby, TheKrell, charlesrshell and 1 other person
Josephinelcajon

Josephinelcajon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 31, 2016
San Diego CA
I didn't realize you owned the receiver, so that is my mistake. Owned receivers have different rules, and it's been a while since I've been up to date on that policy but as far as I know we still do out of warranty RAs for owned receivers. There is a cost involved with that replacement but without your account details I wouldn't be able to tell you what it is.

The Wally upgrade you would need to buy on your own, but you can do that through MyDISH I'm pretty certain.
Screenshot 20221017 111454 MyDISH

Josephinelcajon

Josephinelcajon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 31, 2016
San Diego CA

Josh was able to get my receiver up and running! A very BIG THANK YOU!

• Love
Reactions: Scott Greczkowski, Bobby, charlesrshell and 2 others
F

FredInColo

Oct 14, 2022
Estes Park, CO
Josh, can you comment on why the CSRs that Josephine spoke to were unable to get her receiver working?

• Haha
Reactions: Josephinelcajon and charlesrshell
Josephinelcajon

Josephinelcajon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 31, 2016
San Diego CA
Josh, can you comment on why the CSRs that Josephine spoke to were unable to get her receiver working?
Um well this is embarrassing. My username comes with a story. My first internet experience was WebTV it asked for my name Joseph and address at that time El Cajon CA it said "Joseph" was not available but "josephinelcajon" was. It sounded great at the time and no one saw "josephine" until the past couple of years. I have had it so long its hard to change to me. So its actually "Joseph" He/Him and I no longer live in El Cajon California but still live in the county of San Diego. No worries I am quite use to it these days!

• Haha
Reactions: MikeD-C05, FredInColo and charlesrshell
F

FredInColo

Oct 14, 2022
Estes Park, CO
It's obvious now that you mention it, Joseph. I should have read more carefully but I'm happy that I'm not the first, at least.

• Haha
Reactions: MikeD-C05, TheKrell, charlesrshell and 1 other person
Josephinelcajon

Josephinelcajon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 31, 2016
San Diego CA
After several calls to tech and loyalty all had the same reply. Dish refuses to replace a customer owned receiver past its one-year warranty regardless of the Dish Protection Plan. Back in the day they always would so long as you had the protection plan. It gives a lot of value to leasing. The key he and other missed at first was it was my owned receiver. We fixed my issue by using the private chat here. And I am so grateful for his time!

Reactions: TheKrell and charlesrshell
Josephinelcajon

Josephinelcajon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 31, 2016
San Diego CA
It's obvious now that you mention it, Joseph. I should have read more carefully but I'm happy that I'm not the first, at least.
No problem. I keep wanting to change it but after 30+ years its hard mentally.

HipKat

HipKat

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 25, 2017
Pekin, IL
Um well this is embarrassing. My username comes with a story. My first internet experience was WebTV it asked for my name Joseph and address at that time El Cajon CA it said "Joseph" was not available but "josephinelcajon" was. It sounded great at the time and no one saw "josephine" until the past couple of years. I have had it so long its hard to change to me. So its actually "Joseph" He/Him and I no longer live in El Cajon California but still live in the county of San Diego. No worries I am quite use to it these days!
lol, just because of El Cajon, I knew what it was the first time I saw it

Reactions: charlesrshell and Josephinelcajon
TheKrell

TheKrell

A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
It sounded great at the time and no one saw "josephine" until the past couple of years.
How would you have known if they didn't try to call you "Josephine"?
Nope. Guilty as charged. :crying

Reactions: FredInColo, Josephinelcajon and charlesrshell
C

CU2000

SatelliteGuys Guru
Mar 1, 2004
Its my understanding that Dish will no longer activate VIP Receivers, 622,222,722,211 etc. Existing accounts with these receivers are still ok.
I think its Wally's & Hopper series receivers that can replace the VIP receivers.

Reactions: blatimer1983 and MikeD-C05