Dish Network equipment upgrade message

crar355

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
north carolina
I know my equipment is old - but I own it and it’s good enough for tv that I watch On Dish.
Dish network says I have to upgrade everything and not doing so will have me losing locals on Sept 21’st. I just found this out on Aug 31st. Current equip has a super dish with several receivers including 512’s and 322”s. (Don’t care these are not HD)
my issue is I have someone in house who will have difficulty with a much different remote And operation. my question is what minimum equipment do I need to replace with (Receivers and dish ) to continue service?
Would prefer to just purchase myself and install like I did with current system. Had a bad experience with someone coming to house in past so I’m cautious. Any advise will be greatly appreciated

Dish network says I have to upgrade everything and not doing so will have me losing locals on Sept 21’st. I just found this out on Aug 31st.
I haven't heard that. Are you sure this is really DIsh who said that? I am suspicious.

Maybe they are switching your locals to 8PSK. I thought they were already all using 8PSK. IIRC your 322's will still be able to demodulate that signal, but I don't think your 512 will.

Reactions: charlesrshell
It appears to be Dish. Message comes up on TV screen occasionally. If I have to reconfigure system I’d rather do myself but Dish reps will not disclose what equip I need. Been customer with dish 22 years, doesn’t seem they really care if I just give up on Them. Thanks for the reply. I’m seeking advise on what to purchase. Need basic setup. Maybe one DVR and the rest can be non DVR’s. Need to change dish antenna as well?

You'll need equipment that supports MPEG-4 services, because in the very near future MPEG-2 services will cease to exist on the DISH satellites.

If you want to do like for like with your receivers upgrade to a VIP612 and VIP222 or VIP222k.

You'll need equipment that supports MPEG-4 services, because in the very near future MPEG-2 services will cease to exist on the DISH satellites.

If you want to do like for like with your receivers upgrade to a VIP612 and VIP222 or VIP222k.
Thanks for the advise. Can Current dish antenna and positioning be kept? Best regards

I haven't heard that. Are you sure this is really DIsh who said that? I am suspicious.

Maybe they are switching your locals to 8PSK. I thought they were already all using 8PSK. IIRC your 322's will still be able to demodulate that signal, but I don't think your 512 will.
He’s probably not wrong because he still has a super dish. And aren’t those old receivers working off of a different video codec? You guys seem to know a lot more about that stuff than I do. Even when I first started here nine years ago, the directive was that if we see a super dish, replace it.

It appears to be Dish. Message comes up on TV screen occasionally. If I have to reconfigure system I’d rather do myself but Dish reps will not disclose what equip I need. Been customer with dish 22 years, doesn’t seem they really care if I just give up on Them. Thanks for the reply. I’m seeking advise on what to purchase. Need basic setup. Maybe one DVR and the rest can be non DVR’s. Need to change dish antenna as well?
The problem is that what you’re wanting to do is not exactly how it works anymore so you would have to buy your own equipment, which is good that you want to. The dish you need is the 1000.2 western arc. If you’re not going to go with a Hopper system, which is exactly what Dish would want you to do, you’ll need a western arc DPP LNBF. Your receivers would have to be purchased and I haven’t looked at any retailers lately but you may have a hard time getting receivers that are not hoppers, unless you go with Wallys. Or 211s. Both of which can have an external hard drive added which would allow you to record without paying for the DVR fee

This is legitimate. Dish has been slowly turning off standard-def locals in markets across the country for the last two years. We used to get a heads-up about these changes in the Uplink Reports, but those have been MIA since April 2022.

Maybe they are switching your locals to 8PSK. I thought they were already all using 8PSK.
They are switching the locals to MPEG-4. More accurately, they are shutting off the SD feeds (unless the channel is only carried in SD) and forcing you to use the HD feeds, which are already MPEG-4.

IIRC your 322's will still be able to demodulate that signal, but I don't think your 512 will.
512 works with 8PSK, but that doesn't do any good if they shut off MPEG-2 broadcasts.

Reactions: TheKrell
...because in the very near future MPEG-2 services will cease to exist on the DISH satellites.
Is there a list of the markets that will be affected by the change-over on Sept. 21, or on any other close upcoming dates? I am curious when the SD feeds will be shut off for the Cleveland, OH market.

Thanks for the advise. Can Current dish antenna and positioning be kept? Best regards
Which local market are you in, and what satellites do you currently have with your SuperDish? (I am not sure if there ever was an upgrade kit for SuperDish that would add an LNB for 129.) Some local markets have their HD feeds on both Western Arc and Eastern Arc. Some of the Western Arc HD markets are on either the 110 or 119 satellites, which you likely already have. So, if the locals are the only programming you are concerned about losing, it all depends on what market you are in.

Reactions: TheKrell
Is there a list of the markets that will be affected by the change-over on Sept. 21, or on any other close upcoming dates? I am curious when the SD feeds will be shut off for the Cleveland, OH market.
Cleveland is in the next round. I won't give specific dates on this forum but it should be within the next couple of months.

Reactions: HipKat and pattykay
Which local market are you in, and what satellites do you currently have with your SuperDish? (I am not sure if there ever was an upgrade kit for SuperDish that would add an LNB for 129.) Some local markets have their HD feeds on both Western Arc and Eastern Arc. Some of the Western Arc HD markets are on either the 110 or 119 satellites, which you likely already have. So, if the locals are the only programming you are concerned about losing, it all depends on what market you are in.
In Greensboro NC

I think I’m understanding that I’ll need a 1000.2 eastern arc, something like VIP612 and VIP222 or VIP222k if I don’t want to do hopper.
does there need to be a multi dish switch like my ole superdish? Any special coax ?
again thanks for replies and suggestions

I thought they pulled everything off that long ago

This is legitimate. Dish has been slowly turning off standard-def locals in markets across the country for the last two years.
Well, that explains it. No more MPEG-2. I guess it's about time.

Many years ago the Eastern Arc was converted to 100 percent MPEG4

Back in March of this year, Dish --"in order to support more efficient bandwidth
use across the Western Arc"----
started the phase out of MPEG2 .
At that time, they said they expected it to be completed in a year.

Customers older boxes and equipment are being replace as needed at no cost to the customer.

Reactions: HipKat and TheKrell