Dish Network FlexTV Questions..

Went to the cabin Saturday for the weekend. Service is activated with the Welcome Pack including locals.

r10fret, does the $1 pending charge to my credit card indicate that autopay is activated? This has not appeared before so I am curious to know if I have actually been set up on autopay. My online account has always shown autopay, but my card was never charged.

Yes, the $1 temp auth they place means the autopay sign run was sucessful, now as to the recurring runs you will have to wait and see what happens. Hopefully that means it works this time since you never spotted a hold placed on your card before.

I've been using the DishNow/FlexTV for the past 2 football seasons for tailgating. I have the DP301 and Dish500 and want to upgrade to HD. Can I just get a new HD receiver or do I need to upgrade my dish as well? Thanks.

Yes you need a dish 1000.2 to add the 129 satellite, vip222k is pretty cheap on fleabay right now brand new from dealers and since you only have one receiver active on your account when you activate a duo 222k in place of a solo 301 it will be the same price per month and you have 2 tuners. You will have to pay HD fee of $10 a month of course or a one time $99 fee, since we are pay in advance you can't do the 24 month commit for free HD fee. You could also get a 211k solo and add your own external Hard Drive for recording and pay a one time $40 dvr fee.

I've been using the DishNow/FlexTV for the past 2 football seasons for tailgating. I have the DP301 and Dish500 and want to upgrade to HD. Can I just get a new HD receiver or do I need to upgrade my dish as well? Thanks.
you could use you existing dish for tailgating because you probably only want one channel? find out what sat the channel you want is on and point to that.

well...it would seem that the whole not needing SSN for Flex is a pile of crap...I own my own equipment bought of Ebay...was willing to pay the activation fee and my month up front...all was going smoothly till they said they needed my SSN...They said it was to protect me in the event that if my PVR ever got stolen...they could recover it...BUT then they said "if" I really didnt want to give my SSN I would have to buy a receiver off them...so I asked how is how does that "protect" me in the event of theft...I called 3 different times hoping to get a different rep...got 3 different stories with regards to needing a SSN...haha load of crap

You have to start the account with a receiver designated for FlexTv purchased from an authorized dealer. No way around it. You cannot skip that step. That is why they asked for your SSN.

well...it would seem that the whole not needing SSN for Flex is a pile of crap...I own my own equipment bought of Ebay...was willing to pay the activation fee and my month up front...all was going smoothly till they said they needed my SSN...They said it was to protect me in the event that if my PVR ever got stolen...they could recover it...BUT then they said "if" I really didnt want to give my SSN I would have to buy a receiver off them...so I asked how is how does that "protect" me in the event of theft...I called 3 different times hoping to get a different rep...got 3 different stories with regards to needing a SSN...haha load of crap

Orbis,

Peano is exactly 100% correct. You MUST buy a FLEXTV receiver from an AUTHORIZED DEALER. Never, ever go through EBay, or some other auction online and buy one. I can assure you, you will get screwed.

Now that being said, did you just receive this receiver, and are you within a reasonable amount of time of being able to return it to it's previous owner, and get your money back(hopefully it was PayPal, which would make things much easier).

Unless the seller misled you, for which you can file a grievance and get your money back that way, I would try this, and then go to a local dealer and get a FLEXTV RECEIVER.

The Dish seller(don't go to Sears) should know what the prepaid setup is, and be able to either order, or have one in store.

GIVE NO CREDIT CARD, AND NO SS# for they are not needed at all. HAVE CASH for purchasing the receiver, and give all other info required(Name/address/phone #/can't remember if e-mail was required or not. I don't think so).

And when you get home set-up and ONLINE ACCOUNT so you can PAY VIA GREENDOT MONEYPAK. I am still pretty sure(If I am wrong, please someone post, and/or say so) you can pay for the upcoming months online using a GDMP found at WalMart, and just apply it to your account. And change programming, get PPV, etc...

Then when you are done, just let it run out. No need to call to cancel since you are a pay first/watch later(1 month prepaid in advance for services you want. Again if I am wrong, please tell me) customer.

After you let it run out, you will need to call a 1-888-884-2741 number in order to start service again, and you will be charged $5/RESTART fee(PAY NO MORE THAN THAT! EVER!!), plus the cost of programming.

I haven't used my FlexTV service since last November 2009. I am hoping(I still have my online account/info, and am able to access my account online. Just can't restart unless I call 1-888-884-2741 to do it) that if/when I restart it, it does not turn into a collosal PIA, and someone actually knows what the FlexTV prepaid program is(not the FLEX24 program. TOTALLY DIFFERENT) and restarting is not a collosal hassle.

And make sure you make a copy of the RCA agreement that R10Fret posted(I think) in .PDF format. On page 4 and 5 spcifically, they mention that prepay customers pay only $5 for restaring there service, no matter what the cause of previous stoppage. Good to have handy.

You can use any owned/purchase receiver be it new or used (from a clear account) to start up a FLEX account, known to dish as a "pay in advance" account, no ssn is required and there is no activation fee when you call dish directly to do this, they will require you setup a security PIN though for whenever you call back.

The activation fee is only charged by some B&M dish dealers when you go through them because they are supposed to install the dish to setup your account.

On ebay there are several reliable companies that can also setup a new flex/pay in advance account, I have personally dealt with one seller known as ae-tx to obtian a 222k

They even outline the types of accounts here:
http://ae-tx.com/e/account.html

If you are a DIY person you can just get a receiver from anyone, new or used, and so long as it is purchased/owned (not leased) and has a clear/ zero past due account balance you can just call dish to activate it, but the key is you must say you want to setup a "pay in advance" no commitment account using an owned purchased receiver, that way no SSN is required.

Orbis, since you already have a receiver keep calling maybe you will get a DDDC~ that actually knows what they are doing!

Last edited:
You can use any owned/purchase receiver be it new or used (from a clear account) to start up a FLEX account, ....

I don't that is correct unless they have changed the rules. The first receiver must be "Flex Designated". After that you can add any used or purchased receiver assuming it has no balance owing.

Nope, have personally purchased a 222k from ae-tx on ebay, and also a used 322 from someone else on ebay. I made no mention to them that I planned to use it as the first receiver for a pay in advance account, I did not have to pay an activation fee to have dish setup the account. The install was DIY and we just called dish and said to setup a P.I.A. account. Even got refer a friend bonus, have done this twice in the last 45 days.

Peano that "designated" thing you are thinking of had to probabaly do with the old dishnow prepaid boxes. The key here is if you want pay in advance it is still available and if you go through dish there is no activation fee.

I don't that is correct unless they have changed the rules. The first receiver must be "Flex Designated". After that you can add any used or purchased receiver assuming it has no balance owing.

yep that is what i was told...no way in hell will i get a flex account on my Ebay pvr with a (zero balance)...must buy one from them first...then i can add a second...so they tell me...at this point I have little options...sooo weird Trying to get a legit sub...and it is a HUGE pita...no wonder people go underground for their subs

thx to all the replies! guided me to ask the right questions when talking to dish...it seems you have to know as much as possible and do your homework before calling them

thx to all the replies! guided me to ask the right questions when talking to dish...it seems you have to know as much as possible and do your homework before calling them

So this means you were finally able to get yourself set up by asking the low level DDDCs for "pay in advance" which requires no ssn or perhaps not?

Hard to tell exactly what the outcome here was.

If not there are more capable channels to get your prepay account setup using the Spanish option CS that actually know what Flex/PIA is. Hint: they speak english too and are better trained then most since this gets you to exec resolution in E.P. TX.

So this means you were finally able to get yourself set up by asking the low level DDDCs for "pay in advance" which requires no ssn or perhaps not?

Hard to tell exactly what the outcome here was.

If not there are more capable channels to get your prepay account setup using the Spanish option CS that actually know what Flex/PIA is. Hint: they speak english too and are better trained then most since this gets you to exec resolution in E.P. TX.

well atm waiting to pay some bills off before i buy another pvr...(i expect in about a week) but that being said i feel confident after talking to at least 3 different reps...and got the same story...finally some consistency!

:confused:

yeah consistently wrong!

So what actually agreed between the three reps? Because I can tell you there is no such thing as an activation fee in the dish billing system to start an purchased equipment account, this is something that only a dealer charges you when you activate and they setup/install an account through them, a hand holding fee of sorts if all the dealer does is ship you a receiver.

FREE and DISH do not go together. You can not get something for free from them ever. There is always a catch and the 922 cost at least $200.00 to upgrade to . Even new subs don't get the 922 free as far as I know.

This relates to pay in advance / flex accounts exactly how? I wouldn't take a 922 if they paid me $200!

Been reading the forum and just have one question. I have a 322 that was given to me by the previous owner (upgraded to HD) and I'd like to put it on the Flex program. The whole install is DIY and the install location has a Dish 1000.2 already installed... It looks to me like this type of activation is possible, but wanted to clarify that when engaging with Dish CS, I am to ask that I want to activate it on 'PIA' account, or do they need to hear it as 'Paid in Advance'? Just want to make sure I slow pitch this request to them in what ever lingo makes it the easiest.

Thanks for your time!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)