Dish Network Has Tnt Hd!!!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
jeffwtux said:
That is why the amount of ORIGINAL programming a network has should be the primary criteria for adding an HD channel. With the exception of a handful original movies and series a year, all TNT has is the 8-10 Nascar races and the NBA games. There will probably be weeks going by where there isn't 1 hour of original HD programming on TNT-HD.

Which means the HD feeds of the Network's (ABC, NBC, FOX) should be the number 1 priority since they have the most original HD programming.

I'm happy with the addition of TNT-HD and don't really understand all the whining and bitching about it. There just isn't much original HD programming out there that we don't already have available. Early adopters need to have more patience. It can be years before everything or even most of the content you want is available in a new format (remember the early years of CD's and even DVD's still?). Maybe I'm in the minority here but I'm content for the time being. :)

NightRyder

No HD channel is a joke (especially compared to the extreme compression of the SD versions of the same channels). HD Content will increase over time.

As far as I'm concerned, Dish should carry them all. As of today, StarzHD seems to have more TRUE HD content then TNTHD (go look at thier online guie).

David_Levin said:
No HD channel is a joke (especially compared to the extreme compression of the SD versions of the same channels). HD Content will increase over time.

As far as I'm concerned, Dish should carry them all. As of today, StarzHD seems to have more TRUE HD content then TNTHD (go look at thier online guie).

I'll agree with the "no joke" thing, but it's hard to say with a straight face with regards to ESPN-HD ;)

STARZ-HD has no original programming. What do you consider TRUE HD? The Movies shown are just up-converts from Film, they're not shot in HD. Yes they are better than DVD but not by that much. I personally wouldn't pay the extra monthly fee for STARZ just to have the HD channel.

NightRyder

The only HD I have seen on TNT-HD so far has been the NBA games. Well, they will be all done in a week or two.

Nascar? One race in September has been announced out of the eight that they carry.

Law and Order, NYPD Blue, Judging Amy. Episodes that where done in HDTV have only their SD counterparts shown on TNT-HD.

So far this give the appearance of a scramble to squat out DBS & Cable bandwidth early. Get your channel in a lineup early so that later when the bandwidth becomes too tight, you won't have to fight so hard to get it on the air.

At least with ESPN-HD, they said right up front what they where doing. Get the Live programming (games) in HD, and the rest will have to follow at a later date. With the Digital center complete, and Sports Center and all ready to go HD in June, ESPN-HD is about to turn the corner.

How long until TNT-HD turns its corner? And what reasoning do they have for not being further down the road for HD syndications upon Launch?

TNTHD probably gave Dish a Deal. This puts huge pressure on Comcast and DirectTV to pick up the channel (probably for more money).

NightRyder said:
The Movies shown are just up-converts from Film, they're not shot in HD.

Actually, HD converts direct from film are downconverts not up. Film has a VERY high effective resolution. Film does have a softer look that's different then direct to HD Digital Discovery Channel.

"TrueHD" is a term used on the Starz online program guide. I believe it indicates what is being upconverted from a lesser source. So, we can tell how much HD content they are really sending.

Hmmm.... How do we define original programming? If Starz is carrying a movie in HD not available on any other Sat channel, I'd sure like to have it available.

David_Levin said:
Hmmm.... How do we define original programming? If Starz is carrying a movie in HD not available on any other Sat channel, I'd sure like to have it available.

Yeah, and when they finally put STARZ-HD up you can bet within 24 hours there will be a thread here with a bunch of subscribers whining and bitching about how much the channel sucks and that they should have put up so and so channel instead. !sadroll

NightRyder

MikeD-C05 said:
I am new to hd . What is Oar?

Original Aspect Ratio. Means that the Show is shown is in orignal format that it was intended for. Taking a 16x9 movie and chopping it up to a 4x3 would not be OAR.

WeeJavaDude said:
Original Aspect Ratio. Means that the Show is shown is in orignal format that it was intended for. Taking a 16x9 movie and chopping it up to a 4x3 would not be OAR.

Thanks for defining that one. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)