DISH Network Introduces `DishFAMILY' Programming Tier

Iceberg said:
quite interesting that CSTV is in there :)
oh wait..they show sports...not like ESPN who shows Competive eating and poker
There were rumors when CSTV landed on Dish Network that Echostar had purchased an equity stake in CSTV. Now that CSTV has been sold to CBS Corp., I'm not sure if Dish was able to retain their stake or not.

where is HGTV, Disney and Discovery?
Or if we get HD Bronze we'll somehow get these 3 also?

I like the lower price but the 3 channels above are part of the channels that my family watch most (in addition to Nick, PBS, Cartoon Network, Food Network, History)

I would drop at60 and get this except that my wife and I watch tbs alot. I guess it couldn't really be considered a family station.

This package looks designed with 2 goals: 1) Have a family package for marketing, and 2) to have a low price package to get people in the door and hope to upgrade them later.

This is sort of wierd. They have many AT180 stations here. If there was any AT180 station that they would've included, I would think it would be NatGeo. This does blow away DirecTV though, as expected.

I also find it hilliarious that they were battling Viacom who wanted NickToons on AT120, and now Charlie is putting it on the cheapes package.

Paradox-SJ said:
if the put in tlc is a done deal
I don't think TLC will pass the "family" test. (some shows yes but most are not "family")
I was hoping for Comedy Central, HGTV ,History, SciFi & Spike. But, alas, I don't think any will pass the family test with possible exception of HGTV. :(

Last edited:
If that lineup was all that was on television, I wouldn't even have a tv. However, I'd imagine to the ultra conservative types, this package would be appealing especially since they've got their Fox News. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
just what is the formula to pick "family channels"???
i would think dish does not want too many popular channels on this tier....
this package seems like its just to quiet down the congress...
they really dont want me, a top 120 subscriber to drop to that package..
hey heres a question can-does dish network monitor what i watch???
well not me per say but us!??

That's an interesting group of channels. Several channels included that are in AT120 and AT180.

Those must be the cheapest channels E* has and has a good relationship with the programmers on.

Honestly I'm surprised TCM isn't listed since it can swing both ways in terms of content, familly and adult. Perhaps it's too expensive.
Speaking of the Nicktoons and Viacom argument it makes sense since it looks like the lineup on the channel is almost complete CRAP. All the classic stuff is pretty much late at night: "Aaaaahhhh!!!! Real Monsters", "Rocko's Modern Life" and "Hey Arnold!".
THIS is Nick's problem, they can't program worth sh*t on all their channels except The N and even that doesn't carry enough original and old programming to suit my tastes.
I'm surprised Cartoon Network isn't there but maybe "Adult Swim" prevented it from getting through the door. I would ALMOST say Boomerang is better but I liked the old Cartoon Network and the combination of old and new programming.
I really don't understand why a POS channel like Bloomberg is even listed. That channel is almost completely worthless. I really don't even understand how Bloomberg became a millionaire through that channel.

Last edited:
Looks like a respectable "Family" or "Entry Level" package at a very fair price to me.

Should keep the neo-cons happy and attract new subscribers who are tired of crappy cable service and soft picture quality or low income folks who simply want to get a clear all-digital signal and decent channel selection on a tight budget.

Excellent move Dish.

Derwin0 said:
That's the reason that Dish's Family Pack is 10 bucks cheaper than Directv's. :rolleyes:

IMO Dish's family package is much much better than what Directv is offering even if they were the same price.

Sarang said:
I really don't understand why a POS channel like Bloomberg is even listed. That channel is almost complete worthless. I really don't even understand how Bloomberg became a millionaire through that channel.

Probably because it's free or only costs Dish a penny a sub.

I wonder if Dish will add all the knockoff shopping channels. Reason I say that is all I have are locals but I get all shopping from 216-229 EXCEPT for the 3 in the Family Pack.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)