Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DISH Network Launches The Weather Cast
New State-Of-The-Art Service Features All Weather, All The Time

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., May 20, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX News Network/ -- DISH Network L.L.C., America's fastest-growing pay-TV provider, today introduced The Weather Cast, a new 24-hour weather service featuring live round-the-clock weather reporting, interactive forecasting, and real-time national storm tracking. DISH Network is the first and only television provider to offer a national "all weather, all the time" service to its customers. The Weather Cast will replace The Weather Channel, which has recently moved away from weather reporting to a mix of movies and other entertainment-focused programming.

"Our customers always tell us that the only thing they want in a weather channel is weather reporting," said Dave Shull, senior vice president of Programming. "We believe The Weather Cast is the best available weather service in America."

In contrast to The Weather Channel, The Weather Cast devotes 100 percent of its program schedule to weather reporting. There are no movies, no wake up shows and no stories about storms. Further, because its program schedule is all forecasting, it means that The Weather Cast has more time to focus on local weather. The Weather Channel is customized for cable and has never offered satellite customers the localization they require. For more information, visit DISH Network - The Weather Channel Programming Updates - 1.800.823.4929.

a program dispute with NBC Universal, this is really gonna be Versus on DirecTV all over again, but this time with The Weather Channel.

wow!

I saw the press release and thought DISH was just being cheap, putting WeatherCast in the AT120/Family package and moving Weather Channel up to the more expensive tiers.

Now I realize Weather channel is gone for everyone, not just the low tier/family package subs.

DISH has quite some cajones!

Hmm they will be rolling out a sister channel on 213 as well in next couple of months.

So how good is this new Weather Cast??

From the test loops I saw, reminds me of the Weathervision that you see provide the short 2-3 minute forecasts and weather info on your independent or CW/MNTV stations.

It's not the high quality of weather channel when they have weather, but it's not your backwoods local TV station weather low quality, either.

The Weather channel is still up and running on DISH, however the video from Dace Schull says that this channel will be replacing The Weather Channel.

No word on when its going away.

I can see their point though half the time when I go there to see some weather they have some other type of programs running on there. I rather be able to see real time conditions so forth.. I get enough of storm chasers shows all I have to do is watch my local news stations for that when the weather is bad.. :)

Here is the note from DISH to customers...

Dear Valued DISH Network Customer,

DISH Network is pleased to announce that The Weather Cast will replace The Weather Channel on DISH Network Channel 214. DISH Network is dedicated to providing the best weather programming possible and we are pleased to now offer The Weather Cast as our primary channel for local and national weather.

Our contract with The Weather Channel is expiring and they are demanding unreasonable contract terms that would impact customer pricing. We felt that the pending contract expiration presented an ideal opportunity to respond to feedback from customers who have been asking for better weather programming.

The Weather Cast is designed specifically for satellite TV customers and has the advantage of better local coverage. The Weather Cast offers coverage in 8,000 more zip codes than The Weather Channel and provides better local and national weather and advanced storm tracking, while still sticking to its core mission of delivering the weather information you asked for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

In addition to The Weather Cast on channel 214, DISH Network will be providing additional weather programming in the coming months on channel 213. Stay tuned for even more weather coverage or sign up for The Weather Cast enhancement email updates.

It also has some FAQ's..

Q) Where did The Weather Channel go?

A) Our contract with The Weather Channel is expiring and they are demanding unreasonable contract terms that would impact customer pricing. We felt that the pending contract expiration presented an ideal opportunity to respond to feedback from customers who have been asking for better weather programming.

The Weather Cast is designed specifically for satellite TV customers and has the advantage of better local coverage. The Weather Cast offers coverage in 8,000 more zip codes than The Weather Channel and provides better local and national weather and advanced storm tracking, while still sticking to its core mission of delivering the weather information you asked for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Q) Will I still be able to get my local weather?

A)
Absolutely; if you enjoy the convenience of getting your local weather right from your set-top box, The Weather Cast offers the very same feature. You can enter any zip code in the country and get up-to-date local weather information right on your TV. You can access this feature through DISH Home on Channel 100. The Weather Cast offers coverage in 8,000 more zip codes than The Weather Channel and provides better local and national weather and advanced storm tracking, while still sticking to its core mission of delivering the weather information you asked for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Q) I had my favorite cities programmed into my set-top box. What happened to them?

A) The Weather Cast features an application very similar to old one you used to use. The Weather Cast will automatically recognize the zip code where you live so you will automatically receive local weather information with the interactive component. You can also input as many as five additional zip codes so you can access weather information in more areas than ever.

Q) Where else can I watch shows like Wake up with Al, Cantore Stories and Storm Stories?

A) The Weather Cast features an application very similar to old one you used to use. The Weather Cast will automatically recognize the zip code where you live so you will automatically receive local weather information with the interactive component. You can also input as many as five additional zip codes so you can access weather information in more areas than ever.

Q) When DISH removes The Weather Channel does that means DISH Networks HD count will drop to 199?

A) Don't be a jackass Scott...

(Ok I made up the last one) :D

I guess that means that we will not see a TWC person hanging on to a pole, waving around like a flag during a hurricane? :rolleyes:

I guess that means that we will not see a TWC person hanging on to a pole, waving around like a flag during a hurricane? :rolleyes:
Sure you will see them blow by the Weather Cast guys window who is inside a secure studio. :)

(Maybe they will wave when they blow by) :D

i feel bad for the diehard The Weather Channel fans, i wonder how many Dish Customers will drop Dish for DirecTV or Cable just for The Weather Channel.

over/under for how long until DirecTV releases a press release saying they are the only satellite provider to still carry The Weather Channel.

i feel bad for the diehard The Weather Channel fans, i wonder how many Dish Customers will drop Dish for DirecTV or Cable just for The Weather Channel.

over/under for how long until DirecTV releases a press release saying they are the only satellite provider to still carry The Weather Channel.

It will be their next To Tell the Truth commercial, wait and see!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts