This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Dish Network no longer approves staples to attach cable?

sperry85

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
So, the company I sub-contract for use to sell staple guns and stapels. Both the Arrow t59 and the RB2/RB4 staples. I'm now hearing that staples are no longer an approved cable attachment item, only nail clips and screw clips. Can anyone confirm this is an actual rule of Dish Network? There is no mention of any kind of clips or staples on the approved parts list on the dns.dish.com site.

I don't think staples were ever 'approved' by Dish. I know they have been specifically forbidden for several years at least. We've never used staples in 28 years because they can crush the wire.

Ok. Understandable. However the RB2/RB4 staples are unable to crush the cable due to having a hard plastic form that secures the cables. Thanks for the replies though, definately answers my question.

they were allowed for a short time several years ago, they have not been approved for in-house techs or subs for 7-8 years now

Staples have not been approved by Dish Network for years. I personally preferred using them when doing apartment installations. They left smaller holes when attaching cabling to baseboards and around doorways. That left the tenants less likely to forfeit some of their deposit with all the screw-in clips attached all over the place. Dish Network put nail-in clips on the unapproved list a couple of years ago. Their reason was that some 'untrained' techs were missing the clips and smashing the cable. That this would somehow cause grave damage to the system. I say making the receivers in China causes grave damage to the system, but that's neither here nor there. And besides, if smashing the cable with an errant hammer, or distorting the cable a couple of times using a staple was so bad, then why are we still using flat cables? Don't they get smashed in windows and sliding doors and the systems still work fine?

Leave it up the Dish Network to find out what makes a technician's job easier, and find a way to put it on the unapproved list. In the past, I could attach 75' of cable to a brick wall with nail-in clips in just a few minutes. Now it takes 20+ minutes drilling holes, inserting plastic anchors, changing drill bits to nut drivers, and screwing in the screw-in clips.

Screw clips with a drill are the only way to attach cable imo......

I was a tech for several years. Staples had always been a big no-no

Ok. Understandable. However the RB2/RB4 staples are unable to crush the cable due to having a hard plastic form that secures the cables. Thanks for the replies though, definately answers my question.

Yeah... Don't use them. Bad stuff.

When you all think of staples, you're prolly think of the crappy staples used on the old rg59 where the actual staple wrapped around the cable and not the rb2/rb4 staples which are unable to crush the cable like a nail clip or a screw clip that has been over tightened.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Of corse you have to account for user error as I have seen quite a few technicians that I've wondered how they even got a job as simple as thîs one

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I have been using screw clips for many years. Have not used staples for a long long time probably 10-12 years or so.

I always use little bitty nails. As long as you put them through just off center, it won't cut the copper core wire - takes some skill.

I always use little bitty nails. As long as you put them through just off center, it won't cut the copper core wire - takes some skill.

I reckon......

After reading this I feel like taking up a collection to send you some regular nail clips or screw clips.