DIsh Network Olympic Info

Here in Austin the affiliate (KXAN) appears to be running "regular" SD programming, including Olympic coverage, on it's SD channel.

Their HD channel is constantly running the NBC HD feed.

The two program streams are not connected.

Looks like I am in good shape with my 921 for watching the games.

The folks who will lose out are those who are in our local DMA, but not in-range for off-air HD.

BTW, I'm 18 miles (or so) from the transmitter and am getting a solid signal on an indoor antenna. Those who can't get their local analog stations OTA should still give their HD OTA stations a shot. No, it won't work in the "boonies", but it may be better than you think in marginal areas.

First, thanks to NBC, Dish and the local NBC affiliates who were enlightened enough to allow satellite viewer's in their DMA to have access to the HD Olympic feed. Also thanks to Sony who provided sponsorship.

Second, regarding Sony. While I appreciate their sponsorship I am already sick of the "Bob" commercial. I really hope they have other commercials besides this one. :rolleyes:

NightRyder

mmrealtor said:
I am now told that the only people that can get 9425 HD are those that live in an area that already receives NBC as a local and not distant network feed. That sucks since I have no local NBC affiliate available and I can only get the distant NY or LA NBC feeds which disqulifies me from receiving the NBC HD feed. Sound like the feed sucks anyhow so oh well!!
If once the Olympics are over and this channel stays as NBCHD then the opposite would be true, you could only subscribe to it if no OTA in your area or you lucky to get a waver. Makes me think that there will not be a NBCHD in the near future, I hope to be wrong.

There wont be, when this is over the crammed 3 TP channels will go back and Dish HD harmony will be restored.

If you have an 811 it will NOT be added. If you have another model it should have been on by the 12th I guess unless you software is not up to date. To let it update turn off the IRD while you sleep and try it when you wake up.

Dallas NBC OTA feed - HD

Will NBC ever show events on the NBC-HD feed? The only thing I havee see all day is that damn opening ceremony. The same is true for 9425...What is the deal? Anyone know?????

Well, to help put it in perspective; at least with the HD replay of the opening ceremonies you don't have to listen to Katie Couric and Bob Costas make complete asses of themselves!

dspdfisher said:
Will NBC ever show events on the NBC-HD feed? The only thing I havee see all day is that damn opening ceremony. The same is true for 9425...What is the deal? Anyone know?????
I'm not sure where I saw it, but someone said that the NBC-HD channel will broadcast stuff, but it will be delayed by a day or so. So, I would assume that tomorrow, we'll be seeing some events from today.

That is correct. NBC is providing the HD coverage on a 24-hour delay so people who want current results will watch NBC's SD coverage and those who don't care as much about the results can watch the 'pretty pictures' on the HD channel.

TBarclay said:
That is correct. NBC is providing the HD coverage on a 24-hour delay so people who want current results will watch NBC's SD coverage and those who don't care as much about the results can watch the 'pretty pictures' on the HD channel.
For most events the SD feeds are so delayed from the event, that the 24 hour delay is not that much later. You want the results sooner go to the official athens web site.

aaaRG!

Why is it that the Sacramento market can get the Olympic HD feed on Satellite, but Monterey/Salinas, where the local NBC station is also owned by Kelley Broadcasting cannot? This makes no sense.

Well I for am really disapointed in the hd channel. A day late, a dime short I say. So I get old footage, second rate commentators and zero overlays (like the flags in the swimming to show who's in what lanes. Oh and if I see the sony wega commercial one more time I'm going to shoot myself in the head. If I owned a sony I would sell it at this point just for spite.

I have to ask what very well may be a stupid question, but I am puzzled.

When I view the Olympic HD channel (9425), according to the overlay description that the 811 generates when changing channels, the channel is listed as SD (not HD). This is strange because when switching to/viewing all other HD channels, the overlay reflects HD.

Is this normal (not really correct, but in the world of Dish Network, bizzaro is the norm) or does my receiver need to be rebooted and "check switched" yet again to enable correct function of this "feature"?

Thanks.

g

Bloomingtong Question

I think pressing the Format button until it displays HD Normal will take care of that.

bloomingtong said:
I have to ask what very well may be a stupid question, but I am puzzled.

When I view the Olympic HD channel (9425), according to the overlay description that the 811 generates when changing channels, the channel is listed as SD (not HD). This is strange because when switching to/viewing all other HD channels, the overlay reflects HD.

Is this normal (not really correct, but in the world of Dish Network, bizzaro is the norm) or does my receiver need to be rebooted and "check switched" yet again to enable correct function of this "feature"?

Thanks.

g

charper1 said:
If you have an 811 it will NOT be added.
Has anybody quizzed Dish why the 811 won't get the Olympic OpenTV application? I thought OpenTV was Java-based so applications would be transportable between receivers. Since my other receiver is a 6000, I guess I won't be seeing this break-thru Olympic app.

Maybe us 811 owners will get it in time for the next Winter Olympics...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts