Dish Network Or Directv?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The HR24 is a nice solid HD DVR. Nothing to do cartwheels over though. You may have to add a bigger hard disk eventually.

The HR24 is a nice solid HD DVR. Nothing to do cartwheels over though. You may have to add a bigger hard disk eventually.

Reliability is a must. Missing a timer is unacceptable.

I’m so friggin’ anal, if my hard drive has more than 10 hours of recorded material on it I start to have a nervous breakdown. It drives my wife nuts that I want to have to have a blank screen (referring to recorded material) when we start a new week. I’m always saying, “Lets do catch-up.” I exaggerate, but not my much. :)

Ive had both more than once, Id base it off content and pricing. Direct has better PQ IMO, but Dish wins with the Hopper with Sling. I havent had the HR34 in about 6 months, but I'd take the Hopper any day.

Both services have pros and cons regardless of what some might say.

I agree. Both are good, and both have their little issues.

At this point, I am going to get the best deal that I can, be it with Directv in the past, or Dish currently.

I would hate to give up my hoppers though if we do swap again. They are the best DVRs that we have had IMO.

Direct now has slightly more standard (3) linear channels in HD than Dish. I'm not sure what Dish plans for the rest of the year.

If Direct keeps adding, I might have to consider a Genie (gulp) myself.

I cannot get used to it; sluggishness is only one of its problems. I switched from Dish about 2 months ago and I already started counting back to the day I switch back.

Except for the fact that it has 5 tuners it is a P.O.S. I realize that some people will disagree with me and criticize me. The fact that they came out with a brand new receiver the HR44, so quickly after introducing this piece of junk, proves my point. Except for the new HR44 also having 5 tuners and also named Genie, there is no physical and electronic resemblance to the original (HR34) Genie. BTW, since the HR44 is so new there is no evidence that it fixes all the problems of the original Genie (although it has a better potential).

Last edited:
I just flipped to Dish from DTV. Biggest difference is in SD quality, DTV is very poor on that score. Dish is better for watching on a pc or tablet of course.
DTV has the much superior online program guide than Dish's , which is primitive in comparison.

Dish has Epix, The Blaze, the Plex Channels, DTV has Smithsonian Channel and Cinemoi. I don't watch much sports programming but most fans say DTV is better.

I was tired of the DTV HR-24 and couldn't forsee getting married to the Genie for two years .. too many bad reports. I think Hopper will be perfect but am disappointed the Joey doesn't have a tuner ... oh well, three will have to be enough. I also had to upgrade my internet connection to take full advantage of the built-in slingbox.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)