Dish Network Prepaid Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.
reminder message

When does the stupid reminder message come up on the screen when changing channels. Is it 2,3,4 days before programming expires and have to reload $.

Does anyone else find this 20 page thread crazy, there is alot of great info but going back and trying to find 1 or 2 specific things is a real bitch. It would be nice to have a seperate Pre-Paid section since this seems to becoming more popular?

I am finally going to take my prepaid receiver and tripod setup from Maryland to Myrtle Beach this weekend. I know everything works since I tested it here several weeks ago (with the tripod and Dishpro Plus LNB's). I am currently using it with my legacy Dish 500 in my yard, but will be using the tripod Dish Pro Plus again. Assuming I can get it aimed properly, which should be doable, do I need to respond to the prompt about "has anything changed with your system" on the automated system. Its activated and works fine so I don't see this being an issue other than the location change (new zip, new azimuth, etc). Anybody had this come up before. Don't want to mess with a good thing since I have had basically zero problems so far. Thanks.

No just activate as normal, you don't get locals anyway.

When does the stupid reminder message come up on the screen when changing channels. Is it 2,3,4 days before programming expires and have to reload $.

Does anyone else find this 20 page thread crazy, there is alot of great info but going back and trying to find 1 or 2 specific things is a real bitch. It would be nice to have a seperate Pre-Paid section since this seems to becoming more popular?

I just decided to use a $40 card for a movie package (usually do GBMP)
And the message says 65 days left, so maybe you always get that message?

The bummer is I'm supposed to get around 90 days. They even gave me a ending date that would be 90 days. But I get the 65 days message.

I called in to try to figure it out, no luck yet.

And yeah I think a section for prepay seems to make more sense.

up-date...

PrePaid DISH Network System, Everyone Qualifies!
No Social Security, NO Problem. Great for Rv'ers. Want to test Drive a DISH Network System without a commitment, have programming for 1 month, 2 months or just 15 days? You can order any package, including: DISH Family $40 Card = 60 Days of Programming, Classic Bronze 100 = 34 days, Classic Silver 200 = 25 Days, Classic Gold 250 = 21 Days, DishLATINO Clasico = 40 Days, DishLATINO Plus = 34, DishLATINO Dos = 28 Days, DishLATINO Max = 22 Days, HBO = 76 Days, Cinemax = 92 Days, Showtime = 92 Days, STARZ = 92 Days, Brazil Mini-Pack = 40 Days, Arabic Enhanced Package = 46 Days, Hindi -SET & Zee TV = 48 Days, Pakistani - GEO & ARY Digital = 48 Days, Adult Packages: Ten = 48 Days, Clips = 48 Days. No Local Channels avialable on Prepaid Systems.

Prepaid Systems, Prepaid Receivers, Prepaid Cards and Install Kits available nationwide. We now offer Free UPS Ground Shipping on all Our Prepaid DISH Network Products!

Everyone Qualifies!

:deal: No Fine Print...! ;)

Thanks jeffmn!
Where is the unofficial Pre-Paid expert STEELERSRULE when you need an answer?
I have never purchased more then 2-3 days maximum in a row but I`m thinking if that stupid message is always there that would get annoying?
I thought I read in here somewhere that the message only starts showing with a few days remaining? (I am not going to check 21 pages, LOL)

Thanks jeffmn!
Where is the unofficial Pre-Paid expert STEELERSRULE when you need an answer?
I have never purchased more then 2-3 days maximum in a row but I`m thinking if that stupid message is always there that would get annoying?
I thought I read in here somewhere that the message only starts showing with a few days remaining? (I am not going to check 21 pages, LOL)

Because Jeffmn already gave the answer :)

Plus, I really had no clue. :p;)

DISH NOW! prepaid DEAD?!

Well, it looks like the party is over for prepaid customers. NO WAY am I going for their alternative which is linked too here, and described(THANX to nyislander for the info. This is coming from a NYRANGER Fan A**wipe ;)) somewhat:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/private.php?do=showpm&pmid=267391

DISH Network is introducing DHA TOO - Sadoun Tech Forums

I just wondered what happens to those of us who have the system already?

Probably will be bombarded with phone call, after phone call to sign up for the new setup, which I will not for any reason.

But Scott, or anyone else, know when the prepaid system/automated phone system, actually ends/ceases to function?

Just like to know because at least I can get a refund on what is left on my GDMP if it ends like July 1st or something.

Also, I am guessing that we own the equipment, and won't need to return it or anything? I am guessing the refurbished DP301's prepaid boxes will just become bricks/papaerweights?

Can't see how they can be reset to normal receivers through the satellite hookup.

Anyway, this is too bad and sad for us prepaid customers. But Dish has to do what they have to do.

Looks like it all ends on JULY 31st, 2009 for Dish NOW!/YA! prepaid customers. The ride is over, and FlexTV(which is not even CLOSE to what we have now, will take over. I'd stay away from it) will be the new offer for people.

Two New Promotional Programs! DHA TOO and FlexTV ? Effective May 13, 2009

I have a thread for this subject already started. Just thought I would post in here to let prepaid people know what is going to happen.

Too much uneccessary contact with Dish will be needed for the new FlexTV promotion. Plus it is now a monthly prepaid(via a bill coming in the mail it seems, although I am sure these customers will be able to pay online,or may still be able to use GDMP), instead of day by day(BLECH!!).

And starting and stopping will cost you. Not worth it. Might as well become a regular dish customer.

Oh well. So long Dish prepaid. You worked great for those of us not interested in being an account for Dish. Plus the day by day ordering.

DirecTV, are you listening/watching? ;) I doubt it. It is just over(sniffle)

Actually, the more I read the link I posted, the more I wonder IF:

1. After places like Saudon run out of the DP301's to sell for the Dish NOW!/YA! program, it might just mean that no NEW customers for Dish NOW!/YA! prepaid service will be offered. You would have to get the new FlexTV account thing set-up.

2. People who already have it, will continue to have it. It will be like grandfathered in, but no new customer signups for it will be available AFTER July 31st, 2009.

I may be wrong(probably), but prepaid Dish could continue to be available to those of us who have the equipment.

Then again, it may just be like I thought, and it will go away completely after July 31st, 2009.

Why was dish selling and activating dishnow systems up till now if they plan to disable us from continuing to use our owned equipment come the end of next month? And we do indeed own the equipment since we never signed a lease aggreement. Why would dealers have continued to sell them up till now if they knew they could not even be used so soon?

I too hope the dishnow phone system and boxes will be grandfathered and be allowed to continue to use the equipment already in circulation with greendot, but knowing the reality of how dishnow customers are treated it will not surprise me if the following happens; No official word on the future of the prepaid dishnow service ever comes, one day in the near future some of us have purchased dishnow pins and dish decides to pull the plug on the service. You know how radioshack tells you there will be no refunds for dishnow pins.

If they were going to do this to dishnow then why did they even bother with new smartcards, I had been with dish for more then 10 years before I moved to prepaid dishnow 3 years ago after I got tired of all the games and fees. If the dishnow platform ends I will go with directv also. So if you are listening dish you decide whether you want some money coming in from me or no money at all! I will not go back to dish as a regular sub because I dont think they respect us as customers.

The receivers can indeed be used for regular dish since it was discovered during the smart card swap that the receiver behaves like a regular dish sub until the card is activated for dishnow.

As far as I know as of now, DISHNow service will be phased out slowly as FlexTV promotion gets more traction. I believe current DishNow users will be grandfathered in until the phase out period is complete. Don't quote me on this yet as it is not 100% confirmed.

I will check on this and get back with you as soon as I get more info.

Why was dish selling and activating dishnow systems up till now if they plan to disable us from continuing to use our owned equipment come the end of next month? And we do indeed own the equipment since we never signed a lease aggreement. Why would dealers have continued to sell them up till now if they knew they could not even be used so soon?

I too hope the dishnow phone system and boxes will be grandfathered and be allowed to continue to use the equipment already in circulation with greendot, but knowing the reality of how dishnow customers are treated it will not surprise me if the following happens; No official word on the future of the prepaid dishnow service ever comes, one day in the near future some of us have purchased dishnow pins and dish decides to pull the plug on the service. You know how radioshack tells you there will be no refunds for dishnow pins.

If they were going to do this to dishnow then why did they even bother with new smartcards, I had been with dish for more then 10 years before I moved to prepaid dishnow 3 years ago after I got tired of all the games and fees. If the dishnow platform ends I will go with directv also. So if you are listening dish you decide whether you want some money coming in from me or no money at all! I will not go back to dish as a regular sub because I dont think they respect us as customers.

The receivers can indeed be used for regular dish since it was discovered during the smart card swap that the receiver behaves like a regular dish sub until the card is activated for dishnow.

It's posts like your R10fret that I offer the following advice to ALL Dish Now! prepaid customers:

Whatever you do from this point(6/26/09) forward, DO NOT BUY the $40 Dish Now! Pin cards found at Radio Shack. JUST DON'T DO IT. NO REFUND is available on those from Rat Shack or Dish. Just ignore them.

Buy,and only buy, the GDMP(GREEN DOT MONEY PAK) Cards found at WalMart and other stores.

Even if they(Dish) decides to no longer recognize the GDMP's as payment(which I kinda doubt, but you never know with this company), you can get a FULL REFUND for whatever is left on the GDMP by GreenDot.

So from this point forward ONLY use the GDMP prepaid customers. At least from GreenDot(at least up until i last did it about 2 months ago), they will offer a refund of what is left on the card. Plus the initial $4.95 or whatever surcharge you get charged at WalMart and other stores.

And if you have the $40 Dish Pins already, I would hold off on doing anything until we can get more in from SAUDON and others who may know more about the future.

July 31st, 2009 may not be the end date of this service yet. It may be 2010 or later. Or they could just leave the ones they have out there, keep the automated service(or turn it over to phone reps), and Dish Now customers will be kept until their equipment dies.

As far as I know as of now, DISHNow service will be phased out slowly as FlexTV promotion gets more traction. I believe current DishNow users will be grandfathered in until the phase out period is complete. Don't quote me on this yet as it is not 100% confirmed.

I will check on this and get back with you as soon as I get more info.

I won't hold my breath that dish can give anyone, including a dealer a definitive absolute answer, right or wrong , yes or no, now or later, when the top people at a company don't have a single clue about prepaid or how the whole thing worked and they dont know who is actually in charge of dishnow other than the marketing dept, answers regarding prepaid from anyone hold very little validity until something actually happens to prove it true. I have dealt with them regarding the smartcard swap and now have contact all the way to the real corp offices (not exec resolution). The company seems to operate on auto pilot when it comes to prepaid. Management of prepaid users is not pre-planned it is managed by reaction to breaking the system. If dish moves a channel number sorry you are out of luck, no new map downs are sent, if they change a channels satellite location, again sorry that is too bad channel is not un hidden from prepaid, If they change the smart card system, well we all know how proactive they were there.

It boils down to this fact, the dish website is still actively marketing prepaid as of today and they are still allowing dealers to sell remaining inventory so if they plan to not only stop new prepaids but also block current prepaids from continuing then it is bordering on fraud to still be promoting and allowing sales of a product that will cease inside of 30 days. Typical DISHhonesty.

If it had not been for the random mention yesterday by webmaster scott of prepaid being phased out us prepaid 4th class citizens would be none the wiser, says a lot about a company and how much they respect their users/customers.

Steelers,
Yes I would caution all from dishnow PINs, I just supposed that scenario, I switched to greendot back in December and have not looked back since!

I have one prepaid which I added a few months ago that has the new shell account setup they required since april, the other box I have is my 3 year old prepaid which I got a new smartcard back in january directly from dish corp before they required the shell account to activate the new card. They have my address from when they sent me the card but for activattion they did not input an address because they were still working out the whole swap situation back then so they did not setup the shell. I would assume this is the case for anyone that activated the purple card prepaids prior to april when they started the shell account, interesting enough I asked if I could have my shell account number from the newest box and they said shell accounts dont have account numbers, Go figure! It's dish!

Last edited:
Just my luck. I ordered a prepaid receiver less than 2 weeks ago. Haven't even had time to set it up and now they are canceling it. $50 flushed down the toilet.

If dish moves a channel number sorry you are out of luck, no new map downs are sent, if they change a channels satellite location, again sorry that is too bad channel is not un hidden from prepaid, If they change the smart card system, well we all know how proactive they were there.

This says to me that I, like you most likely, don't have The N in their channel lineup at all(should be 181 or 182.)

I ordered programming for 3 days tonight(6/26/09), and it is still not there.

Figures.

Up until now I haven`t had any major problems with service, but for the last 2 days the automated service says that my smart card # is invalid. Of course no help from the CSR`s, they say it is a problem with the automated service try again later (I don`t think so!)
Back on the phone I go, wish me luck?

just want to add my prepaid experience to the thread. after finding/reading this thread a few weeks ago the potential savings were too huge to pass up so i ordered a ppd 301.($50 shipped)

called the # using gdmp and went through the initial set-up, kicked over to spanish speaking csr, shell count was created and he offered to order my programming, told him just 1 day of family pack. told me to sit tight for just a few minutes and i'll be up & running......he came back with "we have a problem"!:mad:

csr told me my receiver & card #'s were valid but in their system my 301 was showing up as a regular unit & not a prepaid. wtf?(my box has dish prepaid stickers all over it) on hold for awhile then came back & said because these units are refurbs there is a conversion process on their end that needs to take place or situations like mine can occur. he gave all my info to a "lady"(no name) from a special dept that will research the #'s and convert me to prepaid. took my email & was told i'll have to wait til tuesday 6/30. he mentioned the possibility of sending ird back to retailer but also said most likely they will be able to fix things on their end.

now with the news of ppd ending, wondering if they are just stonewalling with the goal of having one less ppd customer. anxiuous to see the latest details for the future of prepaid.

also, appears an acct was created for my prepaid, 16 digit # was given to me. if the cut-off date is jult 31, i'm going to call, be their worst nightmare til they activate me, that way if ppd is grandfathered i'll be safe...maybe.;)

just want to add my prepaid experience to the thread. after finding/reading this thread a few weeks ago the potential savings were too huge to pass up so i ordered a ppd 301.($50 shipped)

called the # using gdmp and went through the initial set-up, kicked over to spanish speaking csr, shell count was created and he offered to order my programming, told him just 1 day of family pack. told me to sit tight for just a few minutes and i'll be up & running......he came back with "we have a problem"!:mad:

csr told me my receiver & card #'s were valid but in their system my 301 was showing up as a regular unit & not a prepaid. wtf?(my box has dish prepaid stickers all over it) on hold for awhile then came back & said because these units are refurbs there is a conversion process on their end that needs to take place or situations like mine can occur. he gave all my info to a "lady"(no name) from a special dept that will research the #'s and convert me to prepaid. took my email & was told i'll have to wait til tuesday 6/30. he mentioned the possibility of sending ird back to retailer but also said most likely they will be able to fix things on their end.

now with the news of ppd ending, wondering if they are just stonewalling with the goal of having one less ppd customer. anxiuous to see the latest details for the future of prepaid.

also, appears an acct was created for my prepaid, 16 digit # was given to me. if the cut-off date is jult 31, i'm going to call, be their worst nightmare til they activate me, that way if ppd is grandfathered i'll be safe...maybe.;)

Where did you get the prepaid box from? You have got to be real careful when ordering online that someone is not selling you a DP301 that has not been set up for prepaid. There are alot of crooks out there that do this in order just to get rid of equipment.

vector,

And another thing. They should not have given you a 16 digit account number at all. Something is up. They would have created a "shell" account which would have included your name, address, telephone #, Receiver #, Smartcard #, and e-mail address. You would have no account number associated with a prepaid account.

Prepaid customers don't(at this time) have account numbers associated with the DP301 boxes at all since their is no billing involved. They are trying to pull something. Just be wary.

You didn't give any Credit Card# or Soicial Security#? But they may try to come back and get it.

Be careful. Something stinks with this.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)