Dish Network Prepaid Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yep!

I purchased the Dish Now from Radio Shack set out in my travel trailer and when I got to the KOA, tried to set it up. I called the automated number and gave them the Pin number for my card, my receiver number and my smart card number. The automated system bumped me to a Customer Service Rep who told me my service needed to be set up. I gave him my home address and zip code information and he set up an account for me. Then he told me the receiver I have is not a pre-paid receiver and he cannot set it up. He advised me to return it back to Radio Shack. I call several more times and talked with two other reps who told me the same thing. I check the receiver and it states it's a remanufactured DP 301, but apparently the Receiver number is coming up as a regular receiver and not a pre-paid receiver. I'm thinking because I gave them my home zip code and not the zip where where the receiver was located, they could not activate it. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Yep! You should have given them your home zip code not the location to where you were??? If you received a pre paid receiver from RatShack in a closed (taped up) box and they claim it is the wrong one then I would definitely bring it back to RatShack? Sounds like someone has been tampering with it????

Yep! You should have given them your home zip code not the location to where you were??? If you received a pre paid receiver from RatShack in a closed (taped up) box and they claim it is the wrong one then I would definitely bring it back to RatShack? Sounds like someone has been tampering with it????

Take it back, that is for sure. Also check what kind of software version it has by hitting(all of this is done on the remote) Menu, then the #6, the #1, and finally #3.

This should tell you if that DP301 truly is a prepaid Dish Now! receiver, it will say Dish Now prepaid within that page. If it does not, then it is not.

Also, when you bought it at Rat Shack, did you get the $99 Dish Now! boxed package which is the receiver AND the Dish 500 Dish?

If not, then I can tell you right now, there is NO WAY that is a Dish NOW! prepaid receiver. Rat Shack has NEVER sold the DP301 by itself as a Dish NOW! prepaid receiver. Only as an additional receiver to a regular Dish account.

When I bought mine earlier this year I was told by the Radio shack store here. They could not get the Prepaid receivers anymore. I had the codes from this site.

They only could get the $40 cards

They had to be bought from online dealers. Only place I could find them.

Well today is July 31, 2009 is there any update on the disposition of DISH Now???

Thanks,
Mike Lib

Last edited:
Activated my Prepaid tonight for the weekend and everything went as usual. Used my GDMC and said I would have 2 days left after this weekend. Guees we'll see soon!!

Ordered Classic Gold 250/HBO/Showtime/Cinemax/Starz to run through until tomorrow night 8/2/09. No problems. Ordred on Thursday, 7/30/09, and purposely had it run over to 8/2, just to let the system know I have a prepaid receiver, and it was activated over the 8/1 timeline. Don't know why I did that, as it won't amount to anything, but did it anyway.

When I order next time will most likely be the real test

Just tried an experiment with my Prepaid. NASCAR racing was cancelled today and rescheduled for tomorrow and my Dish Prepaid was going to run out at midnight tonight. So in order to watch the race on ESPN tomorrow I had to extend my days. Called the 1-888 number and had two days left on my GDMC and told it to use the remaining two days on my card. It said it would be sending an activation signal within 15 minutes. After a few minutes I changed channels and now I have 3 days left until it runs out. Doesn't mean the Prepaid will be running forever, but it's after August 1 and I was able to extend my days so that is a good sign so far!!

Just thought I would add my 2 cents!!

well I used the prepaid cards after aug 1 and they seem to work..perhaps dish is grandfathering the prepaid systems until they can covert everyone to flex or something..I wish we can get an official word for a distributor or someone higher up...

Prepaid cards can still be used, but no new prepaid customers. (and no more prepaid cards will be sold to retailers)

Got one prepaid receiver that still only has the yellow card. Is it too late to obtain a new smartcard, or would I have to sign up for the latest Prepaid offer (with all the ridiculous fees, req'd phone line connection to receiver, etc.)?

You stated "no new prepaid cards" which I assume means no new DishNow cards from Radio Shack. Do the Green Dot Money Packs still work.

You stated "no new prepaid cards" which I assume means no new DishNow cards from Radio Shack. Do the Green Dot Money Packs still work.

My initial guess would be yes. Most likely Dish is ending the prepaid Dish NOW! cards is because nobody was using them anyway.

They would use the Green Dot Money Pak because of the huge advantage over the $40 pin cards which is day to day ordering.

With the Dish now Pin cards, all of the $40 had to be used on one item whether it was basic, movie, or adult channels.

My GDMC card ran out last week and had to purchase a new one yesterday. Was somewhat concerned thinking my old card worked yet last weekend but was already in the system. Called tonight with my new card and scheduled 2 days of the Gold 250 and went through with no problems. Read where no more prepaid cards will be sent, but the GDMC's are out there and used for many different businesses. Hopefully we'll get some official word someday as to the future of them also.

GDMP cards...

I used a GDMP card to add one day of programming Saturday evening and it worked fine. The only difference from the last time (haven't used the system since June), was that the automated line asked for the Smartcard number in addition to the GDMP number and receiver number. Otherwise everything worked fine and was the same. Guess it's a go for the time being.

After adding more days tonight I didn't hang up when it said it was transferring me to an agent.

After establishing that I had successfully added days I asked her when prepaid was ending. She said it already had as RadioShack was no longer selling the hardware or prepaid cards (though I saw them on the shelf at a local RadioShack on Saturday) but that I could buy GreenDot MoneyPak's at Walgreens/CVS/etc to continue the service.

I asked when that (GreenDot) would end and she talked like it would continue for the foreseeable future.

So at the risk of trusting a CSR and predicting DishNetwork's future actions I'll keep hoping to ride out DishNow/prepaid until the end of MPEG2.

Still Going and going.........

After adding more days tonight I didn't hang up when it said it was transferring me to an agent.

After establishing that I had successfully added days I asked her when prepaid was ending. She said it already had as RadioShack was no longer selling the hardware or prepaid cards (though I saw them on the shelf at a local RadioShack on Saturday) but that I could buy GreenDot MoneyPak's at Walgreens/CVS/etc to continue the service.

I asked when that (GreenDot) would end and she talked like it would continue for the foreseeable future.

So at the risk of trusting a CSR and predicting DishNetwork's future actions I'll keep hoping to ride out DishNow/prepaid until the end of MPEG2.

Dude! Looks like pre paid is gonna go for a while longer Im sure! They ONLY discontinued the Dishnow/DishYah cards that are sold in RatShack. You can ONLY use the Green Dot Money Pak from Walgreens, CVS Pharmacy, Walmart, Meijer etc...
Im sure Dishnetwork saw that there were "ALOT" and I mean ALOT of pre paid customers that would not come back to Dish if they discontinued this service.I would be one of them for sure!
LONG LIVE PRE PAID!

I used a GDMP card to add one day of programming Saturday evening and it worked fine. The only difference from the last time (haven't used the system since June), was that the automated line asked for the Smartcard number in addition to the GDMP number and receiver number. Otherwise everything worked fine and was the same. Guess it's a go for the time being.

That's strange, I added two days of service last Friday for the weekend and the automated operator only asked for my GDMC and receiver ID numbers. After NASCAR was rescheduled from Sunday to Monday I added two more days and asked for the same numbers. When asked if anything had changed since you last talked to them did you say yes??

Anyone else asked for your Smart Card ID number when adding days??

I have been asked for the smart card number a couple times.
In June they took all my info name, address, etc. And haven't asked for anything extra since.

Looks like we are safe for now.

Kinda a secret club we have going, maybe we need a secret handshake ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)