Dish Network Press Conference - Live Coverage

Now up is Jessica to talk about how Dish Network will be using the 922.

Mostly talking about Digital Transition and low cost Dish packages.

Talking about Value Value Value...

Always the lowest all-digital TV prices
- save 20-30-40% over comparable packages

PRICE FREEZE ON...
- most affordable packages
- internationals

New customers starting Feb 1
- 100 channels over 50 HD channels for 9.99.. for 6 months.
- 15 premiums free for 3 months
- More premiums free if you enroll in CC autopay and paperless billing

Next up is Charlie Ergen. Who is not doing slides, and is going to take questions.

Mentions that the 922 can go out and get video over IP.

First question is about the 500gig that is reserved for Dish on the 922. Can the user change the amount Dish has to increase the user portion.

Charlie says, well, we can change it if we want to, maybe to 100-200gig. Other way user can increase storage is through external HDD.

Next question is about Echostar getting more into the cable/telco environment with their hardware. Charlie says, YES. They would like to sell the box to whoever wants it.

Mark just answered an earlier question. 500GB for user, 500GB for preloaded content.

What a waste of space! If I'm going to tie up my internet connection downloading something, I'm going to download it in a form I can keep.

Next question is about multi room viewing. What if you have more than two TVs. Answer from Charlie is, if you more TVs, we'll sell you another STB. They feel that supporting 2 tvs is a good point right now, might increase in the future, 3,4 tvs supported.

The 922 will not do what verizon does with whole house dvr. Mark Jackson says it would be possible for multiple 922s to share data between each other over a broadband connection, but it didnt sound like that was supported at this time.

Hmm... I wonder who is paying for those price freezes? Maybe those of us with the "least affordable" packages?

Probably. And you notice they're giving even more ludicrous discounts to new subscribers? Is it any wonder both customers and retailers want to cheat Dish?

If I'm not mistaken isn't the downloaded material sent over satellite so it doesn't actually effect your bandwidth?

Historically, yes. However, since the box is internet enabled, they could very well do it VoIP.

If it is over the sat, this would be to vastly increase the VoD selections. The implication is that the size would make sure the disc never shut off :(

Mark Jackson says it would be possible for multiple 922s to share data between each other over a broadband connection, but it didnt sound like that was supported at this time.

i could do this in 2000 with my ReplayTV - i will not pay for a 2nd Dish receiver until this is supported.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts